XServe G5s now with 16GB RAM?

Woodgie2

rack mounted
I've just been perusing the UK AppleStore (http://www.apple.com/uk/thestore) and I noticed the XServe G5s are now being offered with 16GB or RAM. Yes, you read that right, a humongous whopping 16GB!

For those of you too stunned to do the maths that's 8x2GB modules. I may be being a bit slow about this but... ZOIKES!

:eek:

Technically, they could always use the 2GB dimms, as I understand it...the G5's that is. The limitation is price. It wasn't price-smart to offer 2GB dimms as loading one of those guys up with 16GB of RAM would cost more than simply buying, lets say an additional few Xserves. :)

I guess the price/demand is there now.

Just as an FYI, crucial.com charges $900/stick for this memory, so think back to when the G5 was released....if its over $700 more a stick for the 2GB dimms now, imagine how much that would have cost two years ago! :)

...and yes, I know the OS would limit this to useless... for now, roll on Tiger is what I say!

I'll shut up now :)

Technically, yes, unless for some reason Apple limited the size of the dimms that the PowerMacs could see to help them market the Xserve a little better. I'd think they wouldn't do that though on their flagship product.

Go3iverson said:
Technically, they could always use the 2GB dimms, as I understand it...the G5's that is. The limitation is price. It wasn't price-smart to offer 2GB dimms as loading one of those guys up with 16GB of RAM would cost more than simply buying, lets say an additional few Xserves. :)

I guess the price/demand is there now.

The xserve was not qualified for 2GB DIMMS until very recently, and Apple has a unique logic board for the xServe when 2GB DIMMS are requested. This means that 2GB DIMMS are probably not supported unless the XServe has that (new) logic board.
That being said, has anyone tried 2GB sticks in any XServe that did not come with them.

I customized my G5 XServe just now, with all extras and stuff, like 16 GB RAM, 3x 400 GB HD and stuff, and it comes out to whopping 37,108.32 Euro :D

Back