Xserve Mail service and banned content

Omega

Registered
I am running a xserve os 10.6.7 Quad-Core Intel server.

The mail service works fine but just recently we have had a large amount of virus alerts that have now changed to email content attacks.

As we only have thirty main clients with named accounts and three hundred other user is there away to stop emails from being randomly addressed to our domain name. That is only allowing emails through that are correctly addressed to the user.

The serve seems to catch some and allow other through.

Why am I getting wrong addressed emails when there are no users with the names used.

What would be my best approach?

Thanks

A message can be addressed to a domain by typing it. There is no way on God's Green Earth that you can stop that. It is, however, curious that messages addressed to non-existent accounts get through. Get through to where?

It could be possible that these email messages that are making their way to you are, in fact, addressed to you -- in the bcc (blind carbon copy) field. If your address is put in the bcc field, there is no way to verify that the message was sent to your email account or not, other than the fact that it shows up in your inbox.

On the mail server, have you set up a default "catch-all" mail account? This isn't recommended, as then mis-addressed email won't be bounced back to the sender, but if you have set one up, it may explain why mis-addressed email is making its way through.

Back