Xvid, avi, etc Help!

AlexvanStell

Registered
I have recently bought a G5 with OSX 10.4.11. I have downloaded Transmission, Perian, and the WMV converter and Stuffit, but I still cannot watch AVI or Xvid files. I have Quicktime.

Quicktime/perian plays mos avi/xvid files for me, odd....

That said I use a progam called VLC which plays 'most anything!

VLC plays those files - what are you using VMware Converter for? It would help you convert physical (PC) machines or virtual machines to VMware virtual machine format - those will not do anything for those video files.

I have recently bought a G5 with OSX 10.4.11. I have downloaded Transmission, Perian, and the WMV converter and Stuffit, but I still cannot watch AVI or Xvid files. I have Quicktime.
OK. Perian is a suite of QuickTime codecs. You said that you downloaded it. Did you install it?

check your web browser if you want it to play in the window... web browsers designate plugins for each speicific non html filetype.... make sure the right plugin is selected... i open wmv files in external programs personally seems less buggy then the flip4mac plugin... so try saving to hard drive before you view with quicktime.... sometimes that works... make sure you have an updated copy of quicktime and check the file types listing.... quicktime has plugins for bout every type of media file if it doesn't already support them....

Make sure you haven't got a clash between the Quicktime plugins.

Go into Macintosh HD > Library > Quicktime and see what's in there. First, remove everything apart from Perian and see if it works. Then, add the components you need one at a time, checking to see if it works after each one until it no longer does.

VLC will play pretty much anything as well - see if your files play in that. if they don't, the problem may well be with the files.

Still no luck!! Where is there a valid movie or file site that I can download Avi files to test my Mac, as nothing seems to work. Perian is installed, and I now seen to have 2 x versions of VLC (0.8.6 & 0.9.8).

QuickTime codec conflicts are unlikely suspects in any problem. This 20-year Mac veteran has never seen a conflict problem in his eight years of using MacOS X.

I guess you never had the QuickTime plugins from DivX installed when an OS X point upgrade or Quicktime update came down the pike. :rolleyes:

Back