Yahoo (100MB) versus .Mac (15MB)

I'm sure .Mac will have to respond in some way. That said, Yahoo has the absolute worst spam filters while .Mac has the best. And having a mac.com address is also pretty cool.
It's been some time since .Mac users have gotten any cool booty, I'm sure something will happen soon.

I disagree. If there is a SPAM filter on .Mac then it doesn't do it's job, that's for sure. Now on my Yahoo! accounts the SPAM filters work excellent, it's very very rare that I get a message that I shouldn't have.

It's time for Apple to upgrade a few things on .Mac for sure, if they want to stay somewhat competitive. The size of the mail account is moot IMO, as 15mb should be more than enough for most people.

In reality they need to upgrade the .Mac infrastructure more than anything else. Speedup the servers (more servers or more bandwidth?). Letting homepage users have access to PHP and MySQL, etc. would be nice too.

One change that I did like about Yahoo was when they started to not count the content of your bulk mail folder against your quota. I wish .mac would offer something similar on the server side so that using webmail would mean a cleaner inbox as well; this is particularly handy if you are away from your computer for several days on vacation, etc.

mdnky said:
I disagree. If there is a SPAM filter on .Mac then it doesn't do it's job, that's for sure. Now on my Yahoo! accounts the SPAM filters work excellent, it's very very rare that I get a message that I shouldn't have.

Well, I recently went to visit the folks and didn't check e-mail for a bit.

Here's the spam count for each e-mail:

Yahoo (almost never used): 642 in bulk mail, 42 spam e-mail in inbox.
Hotmail (secondary address): 5 spam in inbox.
.Mac (primary address): 1 spam in inbox (this is only one for 2004).

'nuff said.

Actually Yahoo! is known for being at the forefront of SPAM detection and prevention, mostly from the sending end though.

.Mac doesn't have a SPAM filter, Mail.app does.

And like mdkny says, paying 80 $ for Homepage and not getting even limited PHP usage is totally bogus. I registered my own domain (michaelsanford.com) and have up to 250 MB of email storage space (and it's hosted on an XServe so I'm still Apple-supportive :p ) for less than .Mac. I wrote my own backup routines in sh, and what do I need Virex for anyway? Sorry that's enough for my .Mac rant...

How many people really need this much capacity for mail? I would rather have more iDisk space to store my home files, etc.

doppelbock said:
wrong. .mac *does* use server-lever spam filtering: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86748

.Mac doesn't have a SPAM filter that works worth a <insert your own explicit word here> might be a better wat to put it. <G>

I thought about dropping my .Mac account, but decided against it. For $120/year I could add another hosting account with the provider I normally use, get more e-mail accounts, PHP, MySQL, etc. But I loose the storage, only getting 50mb on the server and no iDisk.

The only reason I'd want PHP there would be for a blog. Maybe Apple should look into providing Moveable Type for the homepage users.

The updates to .Mac allow for external html-created pages to be introduced to the .mac platform.
I still say yahoo has the lamest spam filters. I almost never use it for any e-mail purposes. I used to use my hotmail since I went through a period when I was switching jobs every couple of years and wanted to keep friends attached to one account.
Mail and .Mac work just fine for me. If I want to save e-mails, I'll sync them to my hard drive and can later burn a cd, if I really want.
Heck I could burn a dvd of them and really have the GB of e-mails and I could have a @mac.com address, which I still think is cooler than hotmail or yahoo.

mdnky said:
.Mac doesn't have a SPAM filter that works worth a <insert your own explicit word here> might be a better wat to put it. <G>
ya know, in some ways i agree with you there! i am still a bit peeved at the amount of junk that makes it through the filters and into my mailbox and i am also considering dropping the account when it is up for renewal this fall. yeah, that can-spam act has really helped the spam problem... :rolleyes: (but that's a different subject)

.Mac has the best spam filters? Look, a lot of Apple things are overrated. To say that .Mac has the best spam filters would be lying to oneself. Personally, I like mailblocks a lot (www.mailblocks.com). For 9.95$ a year you get 15 megs with the only 100% effective spam filter, for 24,95$ you get 100 megs. I get the feeling they might eventually up the quota for both though.

Its spam filter is brilliant. If a person who isn't in your address book sends you a message, it sends that person a message back asking them to authorize themselves. If they click on the given link, their name gets added to your address book and their mail goes into your inbox. Otherwise it stays in the pending folder. What of newsletters you ask? Set up trackers. Say for instance you want to be a part of the MacWorld newsletter and you know it can't respond to the authorization email. Make a tracker like joe-newsletters@mailblocks.com (assuming your email address is joe@mailblocks.com) and anything sent to that address is automatically placed in your inbox. You get 25 of these trackers to make. Not only does it auto-accept messages but if ever you need to sign up for something and don't trust the service to not sell your address to spammers, you can set up a tracker just for them and if you get spam afterwards, you delete the tracker (stopping the spam) and then complain like hell to that company and notify the authorities and everyone else.

Mailblocks sounds interesting. 5MB for free, though a bit complicated (I use my .Mac address for free-lance writing and am not sure how convenient it would be to put an employer through the blocks.
And while .Mac/Mail probably isn't the best, in my estimate, it's far better than hotmail or yahoo.

Yes, but then comparing the services is a bit of a problem. I'll just say that hotmail and yahoo are _quite_ good for their price, and you can't get .Mac E-Mail for free. At all. So I'd say: You maybe _shouldn't_ choose .Mac just for the E-Mail account, because you can get one of _those_ for free (and with more space right now). But I guess that .Mac will adjust the size of the mailbox sometime later this year, because of the competition.

my lycos.uk accout has the worst spam filter ever. I sent a mail to myself and it was put into the trash. I guess they think only crazy people send themselves email. But I do get 15MB free. I'm actually pretty pleased with my roadrunner email using mail.app almost never any spam... Do wish they would bump up email or idisk to have 500mb of 24/48 storage so individuals could send me huge files that I could download within 48 hours to my HD, that would solve alot of problems.

mi5moav said:
my lycos.uk accout has the worst spam filter ever. I sent a mail to myself and it was put into the trash. I guess they think only crazy people send themselves email.

It's a newer tactic by spammers to bypass a lot of the anti-spam software/filters out there. Make it look like you sent the mail to yourself and a majority of filters were leaving it untouched. The Junk mail feature in the Mail.app was having some problems with those for 2 to 3 weeks, then it kinda disappeared.

Back