Yahoo Messenger acting suspiciously

guyeva

Registered
Over the last few months I've noted that Yahoo Messenger takes a very long time to connect and log in, sometimes several minutes. This morning my Mac Mini started acting very sluggish, and bringing up Activity Monitor I saw that Yahoo Messenger was eating 98% of the CPU, even though I was doing nothing at all with it.

This causes me to wonder about YIM, and what it's doing on my machine. Might it be engaging in information gathering, or have become infected with spyware of some kind?

It used to be that it connected and logged in within two seconds, but now it thrashes on and on for a long time before it connects, and why is that? I have to wonder, and I also have to wonder what it was doing that used 98% of the CPU this morning when I wasn't even using it, and was invisible to all my friends on there.

I find this very odd and I don't like it. Has anyone else seen YIM do this kind of stuff?

Just tried Adium, it will not let me log into my Yahoo account for some reason. Have my correct username/email address in it, but it still rejects that. Tells me that it's invalid, even though I've been using that for years. First it tells me I have to use my Yahoo email address, and when I do that it says that my screen name is not registered, so either way I get nowhere.

Scratching my head here.

I would check about changing your Yahoo password ASAP. Sounds like someone could have hacked it and changed it on you.

Well Messenger still is able to log in using it, so I doubt that's the case, and it's a very strong password. Adium tries to log in via AOL servers, so I think that might be the problem. Anyway I got rid of a couple things Yahoo had bundled into Messenger, and now I don't see it eating 98% of the CPU anymore.

Back