Yellow dog linux problems

skoggis

I installed Yellow dog linux on my 12' powerbook 867. Installation went fine but when I reboot, my machine starts booting to linux it does something and screen shows a bit like open firmware and then it just shuts down. This all happens like in 4 seconds. So I can't boot in to Linux. Booting to MacOS X via Yaboot works fine.

I made two partitions to my hard drive. First 7 gigs free space for Linux and last 30 gigs for Macos X 10.3

Any help, anybody?

Tnx

Don't you need more than one partition dedicated to YD Linux? I believe that's the case... it could be that Yaboot or whatever booter you're using is starting the bootup process, but not finding the required partitions and immediately shutting down.

Check this page, fourth question down:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/

Yeah for YDL you need a linux bootloader partition, a data partition, and a swap partition at least, in addition to the Mac OS X partitions.

I'm also having a problem with YDL. (all thought a different one).

I've got a 2002 15'' imac, and when i boot up in YDL, the monitor shows everything off center. It starts about 1/2 way from the left edge, and everything that can't be shown on the right gets wraped around to the begining of the screen. I'm gussing i entered the refresh rates wrong when i installed. Can someone tell me the correct refresh rates for my mac?

I installed YDL exactly as said in the installation instructions. Formatted my HD in to two partitions: first pt free space and second HFS+ for Macos X. Then the Linux installer uses the free space to make the needed partitions. Disk utility shows that I have two extra partitions that are not mounted.

I also found some additional info where someone had similar trouble with 12' pb. He fixed it with booting to rescue mode with YDL cd1 and then changing the runlevel in rc.conf to 5. I tried that but I can't locate rc.conf. I checked the inittab as suggested in YDL support pages and my runlevel is already 5.

If someone could give some instructions for what I could do while in rescue mode. I think it's some conf files just messing with me...

Thanks everyone

Oh so it automatically made bootloader partitions and stuff for you? How big are the other partitions?

Sorry, I can't help with rescue mode.

PS Is this Sirius (3.0)?

Disk utility shows three partitions. First one is my MacOS X partition (HFS+). The last two are:

disk0s4 5,8 Gb (not mounted)
disk0s5 1,2 Gb (not mounted)

Yes, I have the 3.0... (not 3.0.1)

Back