YellowDogLinux 4.0 ain't free?!

ok, maybe its cause im a new guy, but im having download issues with YDL and the mirror sites that they have set up. i have tried to download 4.0 from several different mirrors, but the server keeps timing me out during the process. is there a way to change the timeout? I have tried using the terminal to ftp, i also tried a few clients i found on the net. is there an easy way to do it? safari works well by integrating the with the finder to mount the YDL server, but the same timeout issues arise. any ideas?

Try downloading them later. I think the YDL mirrors are overloaded as the world + dog is trying to download a set.

Soem servers are slow, some are fast. I got mine from the first http site listed under United States, and it screamed along at 310k/sec on my DSL connection.

Some servers have a maximum download rate around 50k/sec, others have no cap on the bandwidth. Just keep trying different servers.

What I do is start a download from a server, and if I don't see it maxing out my bandwidth, then I cancel the download and try a different server until I find one that can serve me the data at a higher speed.

thanks, ill just wait a bit before i start downloading it again. i want to get the PB files backed up and do a reformat/partition first anyway

I'm happy to report that I now have YellowDog Linux 4.0 up and running just fine on an OldWorld 7600 with a 400MHz G3 upgrade. The L2 cache works just fine, and I'm running at 1024x768 with 4MB of on-board VRAM.

The setup was a little backwards -- I had to download a custom boot kernel and add 10,000 to the size of the ramdisk to be able to boot and install. The installer also crashed directly after installing everything, but it's ok -- it was a crash due to the fact that the installer was looking for yaboot stuff, but I (have to) use BootX because this is an unsupported OldWorld machine.

After the crash, you boot only into a text-based login, which is fine. I logged in as root and created a new user account with useradd and passwd. I then changed one little number in the /etc/inittab file and graphical login was enabled upon reboot.

This version has some very nice GUI enhancements over version 3.1. I now have a triple-boot system running on this computer (OS 9, OS X, Linux), which is just kinda cool in itself.

At any rate, I'd be glad to answer any questions about how to install or configure this version on OldWorld machines, since they aren't supported anymore by YellowDog Linux 4.0.

I received my distro cd's yesterday and am looking forward to doing a dual boot on my PB. I spoke with a tech the other day and said that they had no plans to support AirPort Extreme cards since Apple won't release it to developers. :( But, he did mention that it would support the dual monitors which was a concern of mine. we'll see...

ElDiablo, any advice for installations? Is the boot system included in the installer? Should I install OS X first, then YDL? Does it matter?

I would partition the drive into two partitions: one for Mac OS X, one for YellowDog. Then, install Mac OS X on one partition. Once that's done, boot from the YellowDog install CD, and it should re-partition the unused partition into its own partitions automatically (of course, you need to tell it to use the unused partition).

I'm not sure if install order makes a difference, but just to be on the safe side, I would recommend installing OS X first, then Linux, so that Linux's bootloader will auto-configure itself to boot Linux or Mac OS X. If you install Linux first, I don't know if you have to configure the bootloader later to "recognize" the OS X partition, or whether it does it automatically, so I would say first OS X, then Linux.

It can't get any easier to install Linux than it is on a PowerMac... I've even got 4.0 running on an unsupported machine (old 7600), and it only took two extra steps.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

thanks, just rereading your notes (and others), bout to start the process. i'll be back in a while (hours? days? ;) ) and report my success/failure...

whew, everything went smoothly, not that i didnt expect it to. although i am having some issues configuring the dual head monitors though, ill work that out later. took about an hour and a half from reformat to finish (both OS). Now to reinstall all my programs and data...:(

Back