Yet another goofy trick

davidbrit2

Licensed Computer Geek
This one's kind of fun. Make a folder called "test," and make another folder called "test2." Place an alias to "test" inside of "test2," and an alias to "test2" inside of "test." Now go to a column view Finder window, open either folder, and start opening those aliases! You can create an obscene number of columns with this infinite recursion.
I always used to try and trick the Apple menu in OS 9 to do this with folders, but it was too clever for my childish pranks. ;-)

well, I must say, that at least after going into it well over one hundred levels deep, the Finder didn't crash. That has to be good for something... :cool:

Ah, the joys of preemptive multitasking - complete stability! I wonder how the Windows Start menu would hold up to such abuse... I'll have to try that later.

davidbrit2:

David, please, if this is all you are going to do with 2 G4s, consider donating them to ME :D

At least some people can still have fun with their computers :p ,
jdog

Heh heh, yes, you too can discover all this and more with our patented Short Attention Span and Distractability! At least this stuff keeps me from going insane wondering why I can't compile one of about a hundred programs, or trying to change the stupid desktop color.

See if you can make an alias to a folder and put the alias within that folder--make an even tighter and more insane loop.

I wonder if Sherlock is smart enough not to follow links that could cause these infinite-loop problems.

-Rob

Hmm, that fooled the Finder, but not Sherlock. I'll bet Sherlock doesn't follow links, but I can't confirm that.

Originally posted by davidbrit2
Hmm, that fooled the Finder, but not Sherlock. I'll bet Sherlock doesn't follow links, but I can't confirm that.

I believe it does..

On my PowerBook Duo 2300c with 8.6, it'll search until it comes to an Alias of a server (Another Mac) and if it's not connected but the computer IS hooked up, it'll ask me to provide my name and password to connect to the computer.

Back