yet another iPod & iTMS ripoff...

... this time the offender is Dell. More information can be found here. For gags, I have attached a picture of the new ripoff--

Attachments

• b1_44.jpg
    b1_44.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
"We are revolutionizing technology for our customers -- again," said Michael Dell, chairman and chief executive officer. "By introducing high-performing consumer electronics products that closely integrate with the computer [whoda thunk? -Mike], we are delivering what is most important to consumers -- content and experience -- at a better value than they're currently getting.

"We want our customers to enjoy music, movies, home films and personal communications, when, where and how they want," Mr. Dell said. "We are expanding our product offerings and enhancing Dell.com, and doing it in time for the holiday buying period so important to consumers."

I love the battery icon. COMPLETELY different than the one one the iPod. Cause it's uh, on the left. The iPod's one is on the right. No comparison.

EDIT: Is that.... BRUSHED METAL I SEE? :confused:

You MUST by joking!

I seem to remember that a short time ago Dell was selling iPods as an option on their machines. I guess they decided it was profitable enough to copy.

nope, posted at slashdot, yahoo, and another business website.

And symphonix, they're not copying! They're innovating. Check it out, the iPod has a >> button, << button, pause/play button, forward menu button, back menu button, and scroll wheel. Whereas, the Dell has a >> button, << button, pause/play button, forward menu button, back menu button, and scroll dial. Completely different.

Redesigned Dell.com to Offer Digital Music Players, LCD TVs, with Quality and Value Customers Expect from Dell
LOL! And what would that be?

Is it just me, or is this thing ugly? No, wait, helsa ugly?
To help customers get the most out of their PCs, Dell also announced today an exclusive software application for home digital media management. The Dell Media Experience converts the PC into a digital entertainment center that makes it easy to listen to digital music files, add music to photo slideshows, watch DVDs, and view video clips.
Puh-leeze... there's already software for this, crappy as it is: Windows Media Player!

The Dell DJ... ha ha, very funny, because it makes you a DJ! I get it... LAME

If I were a consumer shopping around for a music player, and I saw the Dull DJ and an iPod side-by-side, I'd automatically go for the iPod without even comparing them.

is it just me or does this scroll dial look really bad? alright, generally we can't blame for "innovation" once more, all they (obviously) want is to compete with apple. so? maybe it drives the prices for the ipod down? i dont think this... thing is going to kill the ipod.

Well, as long as there's no music player that even comes close to the easy-to-use experience the iPod gives a Mac user, there's no problem I can see... The iPod rocks and gets updated from time to time. Guess those colour screens never really took off until now, but Apple can still go that way if it ever should happen.

The current iPod models are very competitive, as I can see, and clearly the best choice if you want your music "to go".

Btw.: I was never pleased with a "walkman"-style device (be it cassette, MiniDisc, CD, MP3) as much and long as with my iPod 10G. It clearly beats everything before it. I don't feel the need to 'upgrade' to a 20 or 40G model, as I have enough space for my music on the iPod. But if I had to buy an MP3 player right now, I'd go for the iPod (again!), probably the 20G model.

um i dont see what is a rip off.... all mp3's basically function the same...

i have the same battery icon on my phone, and pda which is older than the ipod... THEY MUST BE A RIP OFF TOO!!! OMG!!!

sorry, but they are making an mp3 player, it doesnt look like an ipod to me, is every mp3 player out there a "copy"?

oh and an addition... ITMS is not the first to offer music to download off the internet... it is the first to be half way successful, but not the first, so i dont see how everyone is always copying apple...

sorry, i get tired of all this "they are copying us!" bandwagon jumping

they have a review on macsurfer.com....and here's what it says.

"But when they (Dell) asked me if I liked their new baby, I had to tell them, "It's nice, but it wouldn't make me give up my iPod." The people from the company nodded, in understanding if not in agreement." -ZDNet

Well of course they are copying apple... and this is not the first time. Why not, they (DELL) are showing that Apple has a good product that is worth copying... a successful one that rocks.

It's true that their attempt is copy if silly but that's what the free market is all about.

As for Dell's chairman's comment, I think it's pathetic to read "Innovative Products" in his statement. :confused:

So can you play AAC's and WMA files with this? If not, what's so special about it, other than it's coming from Dull?

Originally posted by Boeing777

[snip]
As for Dell's chairman's comment, I think it's pathetic to read "Innovative Products" in his statement. :confused:

I'm not suprised the CEO would consider the Dell Jukebox innovative. He thinks his x86 based PC's are industry standard PC's, and everything else is proprietary.:rolleyes:

Has anyone seen any tech specs for this thing? Does it use the same size hard drives as the iPod, or is it all flash and bang (like Flash memory, one bang against the table and it goes kablooie)?

Jason: Put a Dull DJ and an iPod side-by-side and start comparing. Same white case (at least the front borders), same dimensions, same screen size and style, same controls... Dell just took what Apple has and made it uglier.

Interesting to see what happens with this, clever boy, allows apple to take all the risks of opening, expanding and advertising new markets then swoops in when he knows his products will sell

Well, apparently Dell is only rebranding a Creative device. There's really _nothing_ innovative about it. (Ask around, it _is_ a Creative device...)

most mp3 players based on a hd are similar in side, they both have white? is white copyrighted by apple? and once again, most mp3 players have the same size screen... all parts from a similar manufacturer im guessing...

controls? the controls look nothing like each other, i still dont see the similarity besides the battery icon and a little bit of white...

you guys are grasping at strings here IMHO

Back