• I own an Apple I

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I am Steve Wozniak

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Who is that guy ?

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I started out with an Apple IIE when I was about 7 in 1985, favourite thing to do on it was go through the tour and then play lemonaide stand. I don't remember the exact details but my dad had some srt of external hard drive for it but it didnt work so he ended up taking it back. In school we had Apple IIE computers and spent most of the time either trading games with mates, writing games in Basic or showing the teacher how to get things to run on it. In Primary 6 we learned how to use Logo on a mac and about 3 weeks into the course I knew more than the teacher did and was semi teaching the class, around that time we got an Apple IIc that was mine and mine alone and I'd have to use The Print Shop to make signs for school and then my mum at home from her work using the trusty ol Apple Imagewriter printer lol. Around that time my dad got a packard bell and I moved on into the pc world where I stayed firmly put until last year when my bf got a g4 cube. Now I'm kinda straddling the fence between OSX and XP. Normally he's on the cube unless he wants to play a game on the xp box and then we switch.

Not that it matters much:

My first "mac" was an Apple ][e at Middle School - I think they were obsolete even then. The teacher there was an idiot - and even though I wasn't a computer geek back then like I am today, I could tell something was wrong. She insisted that we type with two spaces after a period, a habit that I keep to this day, even though the typographical standard is *one* space - I'd love to break it but I just can't.

Anyway, my next experience with a Mac was at the Macintosh Lab at High School - I worked for the paper from time to time and they used Macs. I believe these were Quadras or early PowerMacs... I didn't like them. They would freeze up on me, often, and run out of memory quickly. This really colored my perceptions of the Mac right up until OSX so when I got my own computer, it was PC until just recently...

Next experience was with the computer labs at my first college. I believe these were PowerMacs - I didn't like them - same problems as the Quadras, I believe. But they *did* look cooler than the Win3.1 machines that the school was using (this was about 1998, so you could tell that they were a bit behind the times)

I had to take a class in Java programming my sophomore year - and we couldn't use Windows (because 3.1 didn't have support for Java). We had a choice of using X-Term on a Mac or using a Solaris machine - I prefered the Solaris, actually, and started experimenting with Linux on my PC.

I saw the new Imacs and found them aestetically pleasing, but A) they were Macs (and prone to crashes as before), and B) there was no way to transfer media except through a modem! Even now, CD-RWs are a requirement for me.

It wasn't until I got a chance at System 9.1 (I had to use Macs for my Journalism Class) that I got an idea of the potential speed and power of these things. They didn't crash on me (well, Netscape did, but Netscape is netscape.) and I liked what I saw. I didn't have any trouble with having to use a Mac to get things done - finally, and those freezes seemed to be a thing of the past.

But it was still OSX that was the kicker for me - Unix underpinnings (what I liked about Solaris) with an OS that I didn't need to memorize tons of Linux commands for? That's what sold me. Even today the reason I don't use Linux is because it's horribly difficult to install/uninstall packages - as well as all the tarballing - I hate that. And compiling... I'm a bit of a geek, but I don't want to spend 2 or 3 hours in front of my computer trying to understand how to install the word processing program when the report is due tomorrow!

That's my Apple Experience.

Brian.

1. quadra 660 av
2. beige g3 266 tower
3. powerbook pismo
4. LC II
5. Apple II ci
6. iceBook

next?

iLamp...

and that was in kindergarden :-D then in 2nd or 3rd grade they got some early performas (but the teachers kept it to thems selvs till i was in 4th) then in 4th grade i got my first (real) computer a performa 6200 i loved that thing my two favorte games were sim city 2000 and Sim tower. then we skip to 6th grade where my school baught... p..c's... thats when i gave up on them. in 7th grade my mom got a G3 blue and white. and now i am on my iMac DV+ (what really made me happy is now in high school it's ALL macs and when ever a new model comes out we get at least one) but thats off topic and i am done rambeling now

Originally posted by Nummi
You guys are older than dirt :) just messing with ya! I was not even born yet when the Apple ][ came out. ahahahahhaha
Mom! Nummi is hogging the computer again for the stupid Mac OX x chat board!

He he! kids! ;)

My first Apple Experience was with the Apple II e. We wired 2 together with (localtalk?) cables and had this one really old substitute teacher convinced that the computer was talking to him. (He could not hear the kid on the other side of the room typing in the responses.) Turning would have been proud!

Older than dirt, indeed! that guy was a fossil! :p

Near the same time we used ][e's I saw a Lisa, but we were not allowed to touch it because it was so expensive. ($10K or something)

After that I got a Kaypro DOS machine. I did not use an Apple until I saw a Classic. After that I stopped using the Kaypro and started begging my friends to let me use thier Classics. I lusted over the Classics in the Student Union, but could not afford on. ("Damn, why did I buyt that stupid Kaypro!")

It was not until a few years latter that I had regualr access to a Centris 650, and soon after I bough my very first Mac... a 7200. Since then I've had a B&W G3, and this new G4 867.

I've got quite a pile of Apple hardware laying around:

(2) Apple ][+'s (and a few extra motherboards)
(1) Apple //e
(1) Apple //c
(2) Apple //gs's (1 Woz signature model and 1 ROM 3)
(1) Mac SE
(1) Mac SE/30
(2) Mac IIci's
(1) Performa 6320
(1) Quadra 650
(1) Powermac 7300 (with a 300Mhz G3 daughterboard)
(1) G3 B&W
(1) Quicksilver 733

Let's not talk about the 6 Imagewriter printers, Appletalk routers, thinnet connectors, mice, keyboards and other stuff laying around. All of my PC friends tell me when their employers are throwing out old Mac equipment and I, of course, end up giving it all a home! Need a Revision C SCSI controller for an Apple II? Drive controller? Floppy drives? Light pen for on-screen drawing? Printer interface? The list goes on - don't ask me why I keep the stuff!

My Order of Operations:

Apple ][e
Macintosh LC II (ya, it took us a while to upgrade)
Powerbook 190cs
PowerMac 6500
PowerMac G3 300 mHz (B & W)
iBook 500 mHz combo (White)

----

i still have all of these, and use the last two nearly every waking hour... hope to add a dual gHz to the family in a couple months... i've also snagged my grandma's old macs (mac classic and a powerbook 165)... oh, and the LC II has a ][e card in it, too... i LOVE how you can run the ][e portion of it at "normal" or "double" speed...

My First Comp. that ive ever used and owned was a AppleIIGS this was back when i was about 11 with the lack of software for those machines back then i later found myself switching to a 486 (pos) wich was barely enough to run windows95 , so after about a year and a half of using that machine wich ran only when it wanted too (and due to me needing something that will run some productivity software for my middle school purposes) i had my parents buy me a pentium 233mhz mmx packard bell legend supreme wich was a 1905 and a complete pos my friends 166mhz pentium NEC was much much faster then that pos packard bell i was using and it wasnt much faster then the 486 in all honesty , so my senior year in high school i bought a 766mhz emachine celeron equiped machine , this machine wasnt bad at all it ran windows without a hitch (but windows wouldnt run without a hitch ofcourse :) ) and that is basically where i have done all of my linux/bsd experimenting shortly after i decieded that i needed something with some kind of power so i purchased a 1.33ghz amd athlon equipped with the then new Geforce 3 card soundblaster 5.1 platinium card and all kinds of goodies , and was running windows 2000 pro. wich ran like crap for some reason it was very unstable so i damned AMD for it and a month or so later amd released a patch concerning win2k and the athlon processors :( , either way i decieded that i wanted full support of my hardware (something linux doesnt offer neither does freebsd) and ever since then i was on the search for the perfect hardware/software match , 4 months later i was playing with my friends powermac and his 700mhz g3 imac 256mb of ram and os 10.1 just upgraded man i loved that machine , i loved the Aqua Interface and most importantly i loved the Terminal! ill never forget the first time i was greeted with this : "Welcome to Darwin!" :D i thought all that "Simplicity of Macintosh , Power and Stability of Unix" was just a marketing hype , so here iam today with my first mac :)

I own (since new) a working Woz signature Apple IIgs, with 2 5.25" drives, 2 3.5" drives and an ImageWriter II.

History: AIIe (gone), AIIc (gone), AIIgs, Mac+ (gone), Mac IIcx (gone), Mac LCIII (gone), Quadra 605 (worked when I put it in the closet), revA iMac 233 w/ 333 daughterboard (running SETI), iMac 450 (running SETI), G4 2x800 (current).

I accumulated most of them over my years as a Mac systems consultant, and gave the 'gone' ones away when I retired.

Originally posted by TheAppleDoctor
I own (since new) a working Woz signature Apple IIgs, with 2 5.25" drives, 2 3.5" drives and an ImageWriter II.

History: AIIe (gone), AIIc (gone), AIIgs, Mac+ (gone), Mac IIcx (gone), Mac LCIII (gone), Quadra 605 (worked when I put it in the closet), revA iMac 233 w/ 333 daughterboard (running SETI), iMac 450 (running SETI), G4 2x800 (current).

I accumulated most of them over my years as a Mac systems consultant, and gave the 'gone' ones away when I retired.
Wow!

That, sir (... uh, doctor), earns you quite a bit of credibility for a first posting... Although I'm curious why about the other Mac forum that you link to in your profile. That may actually take away from your credibility. ;)

...I'm probably just jealous that you have such a complete Mac hardware history.

my second computer was an apple.. an apple //c with the
monochrome monitor. my first actually was an atari which
had a tape recorder for i/o writing crude "code" in basic.

god im a computer geek :)

history
atari 1200xl
apple //c

(i strayed from the path) :)
NEC 386 / 16 MHz
Zeos 486 / 100 MHz
Dell pentium ii / 300 MHz
Dell pentium ii / 266 MHz (laptop: still have it)

and now im back...
G4 Quicksilver 867 MHz

Originally posted by TheAppleDoctor
And here it is, working today, with a successful self-test just printed.

Attachments

• apple iigs.jpg
    apple iigs.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 74
When I was 5/6 (like1994/95) I bugged my parents a lot because I wanted a computer. We bought a performa 6300cd, that doesn't work anymore because I took it apart last year. In like 1998 we bought a 350mhz (bondi or blueberry, I'm not sure) slot-loading iMac. Then this year I got a 800mhz LCD iMac from My grandma, so that is my first "personal" computer.

Originally posted by JetosX
and that was in kindergarden :-D then in 2nd or 3rd grade they got some early performas (but the teachers kept it to thems selvs till i was in 4th) then in 4th grade i got my first (real) computer a performa 6200 i loved that thing my two favorte games were sim city 2000 and Sim tower. then we skip to 6th grade where my school baught... p..c's... thats when i gave up on them. in 7th grade my mom got a G3 blue and white. and now i am on my iMac DV+ (what really made me happy is now in high school it's ALL macs and when ever a new model comes out we get at least one) but thats off topic and i am done rambeling now
update: now i have an iBook: 500 mhz/64mb ram/10 Gig HD/cd drive (ok it's sad but it's ment for schjool and not games :rolleyes: .

Look what I found:
www.theapplemuseum.com
Pretty cool site.

Anyway, my first Mac was a MacPlus. It didn't even have a HD, but it's still one of my favorite computers. :)
I've played with the thought to pick an original Macintosh at ebay in near future. Or an Apple ][c.

My Apple/Mac history:

1978 - Apple II - Learned Apple Extended Basic and some machine code
1984 - Mac 128 - upgraded to Plus, then an accelerator card, too!
'bout 1987 - IIsi
1993 (or so) Quadra 700 - still working
1997 - 9500/132 - upgraded with Newer Tech G3 card 'bout '99
1998 - Newton - still have it, too
2002 - Dual 1Ghz G4 tower (see below)

It/they just keep getting better and better !!! :D

Oh the memories.....

I started programming on a nice Apple ][e back in 1984 with Apple BASIC.

Have messed with Apple's off an on since then, but have never owned one until recently. OS X is the reason why I have an Apple now, and all my other computers have been sold. They finally came out with something that I could really use (I can't live without a command line). But, I have to say, programming on the ][e 18 years ago got me hooked on computers forever.

I understand a lot of folks are coming to Mac because of OS X and the access to a Unix command line. Welcome back! :D

Back