"you have inserted a disk containing no volumes that mac os x can read"

liverpool89

Registered
i have a g3 600mhz powerbook with osx 10.38. whenever i load the mac up i get a message saying "you have inserted a disk containing no volumes that mac os x can read" i am not able to mount any disk images or install any new programs onto the hard drive. The dvd drive has also stopped working and the same message comes up when i insert a disk. This is also the case for any usb or firewire hardware i use. i have tried updating to 10.39 but it will not allow me to. i have also tried re-installing osx but when i press insert the cd and press c at startup like it instucts nothing happens. i cannot insert the disk and select the option to re-install when i am using the mac because the disk does not get read.

i have been having this problem for quite some time

has anyone else had this problem if so could you tell me how to fix it?

thank you

I would guess that your CD drive is no longer reading any disks or is intermittent. You could try one of the commercial CD drive cleaning products, has a CD with tiny brushes embedded. That could possibly help, but I haven't usually had luck with that.
More likely, your CD drive will need to be replaced. Replacing a CD drive in an iBook is fairly complicated with lots of tiny screws, so take this to an Apple authorized repair shop for service.

it is not just the cd drive which has been affected. i am not able to mount any dmg files update my mac osx version or use any firewire or usb hardware. whenever i do any of these the message stated above just comes up.

Open Terminal app, in your Utility folder, and see if you can mount a .dmg with this command;

hdiutil[space]mount[space]drag dmg here

bobw using this command does not work it says no mountable file systems as it usually does and this is not a corrupt dmg file because i have used it on my other mac. the only solution i can think of is to re-install osx but it will not allow me to boot up the cd

Are you sure you have a G3/600Mhz PowerBook?

If you both your machines have Firewire, you can install a new system that way.

Get FireWire cable, and connect one end from your PowerBook to your other Mac. Then, restart your PowerBook, and right after you select Restart in the Finder, hold the "t" key on your keyboard. The iPowerBook will boot into FireWire Target Disk Mode. This allows the other Mac to see your PowerBook's hard drive as if it was an external FireWire hard drive connected to that computer. Then, on your other Mac, restart into the Mac OS X installer, and it will let you choose the PowerBook's hard drive to install 10.3.x on.

i re-installed osx using the firewire method but now the laptop gets stuck at the white apple screen saying you need to restart your computer. i have tried repairing the disk and permissions but it is not working. i have just made it even worse i cant even load the thing up

Back