What sex is your Mac?

• Male

• Female

• I... just... can't... decide...

• Aw, who cares, anyway?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bluefusion

Into the Breach
This isn't as bizzare a question as it seems (OK, maybe it is). I have had rather fascinating discussions with many many people about the presumed gender of their Macs... and it's not just "my iMac is purple so it's a girl"-- sometimes there is a lot of real thought put into the idea. If you start thinking of your Mac this way, you start thinking of he/she more as a person. :)

For example, I have always felt that my dad's G4 tower is "male", while someone on MacAddict had an interesting viewpoint and explained to me why he thought his was "female"... so it's not just about the generic model, it's about the characterization that you give your machine.

For me... my LCD iMac is female (her name is Trillian, after the last woman on Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), my mom's iceBook is male, and my Blueberry iBook/300 is also female. As stated above, my dad's G4 is considered male.

So what do you think, guys and gals?

Mostly it's in the name...

I've found that it's good luck to name your machine... not just your name... but a name like it was a pet.

My DP500 is named Gibralter... since tossing OS X onto it it's been living up to it's namesake :)

Yes the ports on computers are all female. I guess all my peripherals are male then. If this applies then my mouse, powercord and smartmedia reader get the most action. :D

I don't know about my Mac, but I know my acoustic guitar is male, and named Gimli. The suggestion was from a friend (named Miranda, incidentally, to whom I sent an email pointing her to this thread), and I used it for three reasons:

1. It's a dreadnought-style, big-bodied guitar, like a dwarf
2. I like puns
3. "And my axe!" See #2.

Heh.

-the valrus

My main computer(the tower) is male. It gives MALE performance and makes MALE sounds!
My PeeCee, however, is female. It looked like a good buy, once I had it I wanted something better and it just kept costing more money as the days went by...

His name is poppacrow, after the big crow sitting on the monitor.

He's definitely male - for the same amount of work done as a female Mac, he has twice as many cables running all over the place, does twice as much flailing, and makes twice as much noise.

All of my Macs are male. Not that i am gay. they just seem tough. or maybe they are women weight lifters.

Ummm, it's a computer, isn't it? Please refer do the "Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse" thread :D

I picked male, it was hard to choose because my cube doesn't seem to have too much personality, but it doesn't seem female. I really can't say why and i'm not really sure, but if I had to pick one that's the one I would choose

I would tend to agree-- Cubes have always seemed male to me, but then again I've seen what appeared to be a few "female" G4 Cubes as well...

Back