Zip drives on Panther

Mike Adams

Registered
I am having problems transferring from a Zip drive. The data show up in the window, but when I drag a file to my Mac I just get the spinning pizza. The Iomega site has downloads for 10.2, but nothing for Panther. Is this significant, or am I just having a random problem?

Make sure the zip is plugged into one of your powered ports, not the keyboard port, because it won't have enough power to run. Unless it's got it's own power cord.

Zip should work in 10.3. Make sure you have the driver installed and reboot with it still plugged into your computer. Then put in a disk and it should work. If not, maybe you need to simply repair permissions and try it again. Apps/Utilities/Disk Utility.

I would recommend against installing the Iomega driver and just let OS X do its thing. It should be recognized without problem if it's plugged into its own USB port on the back on the computer and completely powered, if it needs be.

No reason, I just prefer to have a good, clean system devoid of unnecessary 3rd party drivers. For example, many people report problems with ATi's drivers that they release for Mac OS X. In my experience as well as a few of my friends' experiences, you don't need the ATi drivers -- just let OS X use its own drivers, and those reader reports are just proof that some 3rd parties can't write drivers worth a crap.

For a Zip drive, OS X should already have the necessary drivers built-in. Installing Iomega's drivers seems redundant, and since those drivers were written by a company other than Apple, I would be reluctant to trust them given my ATi experience.

If they work, great! I would recommend only installing the driver, though, if Mac OS X doesn't recognize the device on its own, which it should for a Zip drive.

Back