ZZZZzzzzzzzz Not going to Sleep.

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Any ideas as to why - suddenly - my computer *arbitarily* doesn't go to Sleep? Never had a problem. Loaded Tiger 10.4.X. Didn't have a problem. Loaded the new security upgrade from March 18th...and now, and now....1) if I leave any other programs open; 2) forgitto make sure that the innernets aren't runnin' on Safari; 3) Or, leave Mail open/closed/whatever........and I forgit to go ahead and put the compooter to sleep....it doesn't shut down. Now remember, to save time with the usual "is it plugged in?" questions: I've had a MAC since 2000, understand SLEEP MODE, know how to set it, have set it in the past, have had it run in the past, haven't added anything new except what I mentioned, and there has never been a problem....so, original question: Any idea as to why the computer no longer shuts down and goes to sleep after I loaded the Apple Security Update Power PC new download? Did I mention that if I change the amount of time for the computer and monitor to shut down, that initially it will, but after ONE or TWO times it no longer works? Seems like the "work around" to me is to just SHUT down the computer each time and GIVE UP assuming it will do it on it's own. Right? And, you know what, I'd never go back to Windows. But, c'mon. What's up with this?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1049comboupdateppc.html

Have you tried downloading and _reinstalling_ this update? Your other post about the spinning ball implied that your problems seemed to start after the 10.4.9 update, as well as this last security update. Re-installing the combo updater is well known to help when problems suddenly show up after another update has been applied.
Be sure to Repair Disk Permissions after re-installing that combo updater.

If that does not help you, have you checked in your Activity Monitor, for any processes that may be keeping the processor very busy, and therefore keeping your system from sleeping normally?

The one thing I have noticed on the Activity Monitor, is that what doesn't load each time is anything that looks like "an ad." So, most likely, the slow down is due to the security update working properly. Just need to see if there's a way to get it to not gum up other things.

I'll reinstall the combo update. I just install again, correct? Or is there something I need to remove first?

Thanks.

Thanks for including the links to the update that had a link to "more information" which mentioned "third parties." Checking my "System Preferences" I have some squirrelly "Application Enhancer" I don't even know from where it came. So, I found a way to add "Safari" and "Mail" to the Exclude list (from applications this enhancer supposedly enhances) and already things seem better. Not sure yet. I think it was a third party audio capture program I downloaded (Shareware). WIll keep you posted on whether it handles the sleep issue (betcha it will, if I figure out what else this is "enhancing!")

I've reloaded the security update twice. Still no luck. Turn everything off: Printer, External hard drive, External DVD burner, Scanner...now remember, all these things used to be on and it would go to sleep. Nope. No Sleep. Only thing that is different from "before" and "now" is that I downloaded the Security Update for PPC (which is what I have). Any other suggestions? Other than always remembering to put the computer to sleep manually whenever I walk away for more than 15 minutes?

Have you tried the combo updater that I mentioned? I'm guessing that's what you mean, but it is not listed as a 'security update'

I'm going to guess it's a third party issue.
Either the Application enhancer, or drivers for one or more add-on device...

Check with the vendors of your add-ons (software or hardware) to see if there isn't an update or patch that addresses the problem.
While those external devices may have worked (and may still, but you haven't gotten that far in the troubleshooting, as far as I can see), it's not a guarantee that it will always work. Programmers sometimes take short cuts that work in one version of the OS, but not in the next. (that does in fact apply to Apple as well, but it's largely up to the various developers to assure their products work with the upcoming OS versions going forward).

Try disconecting as many add-ons as you can, then run for a while without them to see if the problem is cleared up.
Plug one in and run for a while, plug in the next,..

What model of computer are you using?
What models of peripherals?

I ask just in case someone else has a similar model they know needs a driver update or has a workaround for a similar problem...

Weird. In a kajillion macs (I've been support, and an administrator for a few large-ish organizations) I've only ever seen insomnia in machines with unsupported PCI cards, or funky USB devices.

If the product linked by jbarley works for you though,..

Before I put any more third party software "garanteed" to work I think I'll try plugging in the USB wireless mouse in a couple other places. I'm wondering if it is hanging things up. Don't know why. But it could be that.

On another note: It is pretty amazing that as an administrator you have been lucky enough to never run into this problem. If you go to Apple's Support page you'll find that Bluetooth devices hang the system all the time. No one has had an external bluetooth D-Link that has accidentally been left in a USB port? Ever? These things are notorious for hanging. At first, I assumed that was the problem. Until I discovered it was sitting in the bowl next to the computer :) PS Sorry for being able to spell, use grammar and complete sentences, by the way. I'm over 40. This stuff used to be important.

Back