10.4 Features!

Well we can go back and forth with this all day. I believe Apple as a company uses all of their information channels for user feedback. Whether it is forums, User feedback pages, versiontracker or any other form of information.

Im pretty sure they filter that data and respond.

jackdahi said:
Well we can go back and forth with this all day. I believe Apple as a company uses all of their information channels for user feedback. Whether it is forums, User feedback pages, versiontracker or any other form of information.

Im pretty sure they filter that data and respond.

That's pretty much my point of view as well. I was just trying to make the point that just because "I want a headless Mac for under $XXX" or "One button mice suck!" appear in more than one forum, it doesn't mean that Apple should jump and do it -- I'm sure Apple has their reasons for not making a cheap-o Mac box (quality concerns, would it be profitable in their business model, etc.) or packaging a two-button mouse with their systems.

Now we can just watch this thread grow with a bunch of people who think they know what's good for Apple better than the guys at Apple making the decisions saying, "A headless Mac would only be GREAT for Apple and increase market share!" and "If they included a two-button mouse with their systems they'd be king!" ;)

Sorry, got off on a tangent there.

I'll say that I'd like to see the much-discussed "piles" implemented in 10.4. Although I don't have much desktop clutter or use for piles at the moment, many of my Mac-friends do, and that would drastically improve their ability to work with that clutter.

Also, better self-repair or diagnostic tools would be great. I'm struggling with a problem now that doesn't manifest itself in a noticeable way, so I'm stuck shooting in the dark to see where the problem is. Maybe a corrupt preference-checker script that runs like fsck?

This thread was started to see what people would like to see in the next X update. The thread starter has asked that the thread be closed. For now, we'll keep it open, but let's stick to the subject;

What would you like to see in 10.4

No arguments, just what features would you like to see in the next update.
No need to dismiss what someone suggests because you wouldn't like something that was suggested.

How is San Antonio?

I have'nt heard too much about piles. It seems to me like a beefed up expose can do the job of piles. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that even though there is great integration between Mac's and PC's it could be even beter. I believe that the Apple should make a free Randevous plugin for Windows Server 2003. Therefore when you plug in your Mac into a Windows network there will be zero configuration effort to setup most services. The plugin client should link your MacOS account to your Active Directory account.

I want to be able to plug my mac in a Windows network and not have to set everything up from scratch to use all the services available to me. Specially if I will be on that network teporarily.

Better Diagnostic tools is an awsome idea. Maybe have a service center of some sort included in the pref panes or in the utillities folder as an app.

I want to be able to plug my mac in a Windows network and not have to set everything up from scratch to use all the services available to me. Specially if I will be on that network teporarily.

Now this would be a nice incentive to switch.

according to some of last years rumours, piles where to be included in 10.3 but later on dropped... there hasnt been much discussion about it this year... it would be interesting to see them in 10.4, although i dont really see what difference (increased functionality) they would have in comparison to a folder... they could be though another fancy UI feature for us Mac OS X users to show off :p

As for Rendezvous in Win2003 Server. Apple don't NEED to make a plugin. Apple have once again, shown us what no one else chooses to INCLUDE. Rendezvous is actually just apples name for zeroconf, which is basically just DHCP style config, for everything. The same as Airport, is just 802.11B Wi-Fi, and Airport Extreme is 802.11G Wi-Fi. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's good. The more standards support from apple, the better life will be. I'm just saying it isn't up to apple to make Microsoft's products easier to use.

Something that I'd like to see re-implemented in 10.4 is the ability to close windows from the dock.
It was there in 10.2 betas, it was one of the high touted new features for awhile, along with minimize in place, which was also dropped... :confused: Anyone know why?

Pengu said:
As for Rendezvous in Win2003 Server. Apple don't NEED to make a plugin. Apple have once again, shown us what no one else chooses to INCLUDE. Rendezvous is actually just apples name for zeroconf, which is basically just DHCP style config, for everything. The same as Airport, is just 802.11B Wi-Fi, and Airport Extreme is 802.11G Wi-Fi. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's good. The more standards support from apple, the better life will be. I'm just saying it isn't up to apple to make Microsoft's products easier to use.

Your right Pengu. But Rendezvous and zeroconf are indeed two separate things. Look it up!

Now as far as Apple; It will benefit from making a free plugin that will integrate Rendezvous into windows services.

I will explain it on another post. I have to get back to work.

Something that I'd like to see re-implemented in 10.4 is the ability to close windows from the dock.

Control Click or Right Click the icon in the Dock - HIDE - and the apps window will close

just a small thing: i would like a slider in the toolbar (optional) that changed the size of the icons it the choosen folder.

oooh, and a slider that changed the depths of the open windows. i.e if you draged it to the right the distance on the z-axis would increase. the windows at the bottom would be smaller and the shadows would be longer and they would also be slightly out of focus. not useful but neat :)

1. A GUI mode for power users. OS X is currently too much of a babysitter for idiots. That's fine for the general user, but it really gets in my way a lot. For example, when changing file extensions, you'd think you were trying to to change nuclear security codes. Who accidentally changes a file extension? And then to pour salt on the wound, you can't use a single-key hot key to approve the change. Which leads me to my next gripe...

2. Single-key hot keys for dialog windows (yes, I know it's "Windows-like", but frankly it's faster). Also, throw in ability to TAB through dialog options instead of forcing me to mouse my way or use multiple key combos. It's really freaking old after twenty years of it on the Mac.

3. Better icon previews. Too many file types still don't render in the Finder.

4. In column view in Finder, when selecting multiple items, you don't get a summary report of their info. Yes, you can see how many files you selected on the bottom of the window, which helps, but I'd like to also see how many MB/GB I have selected. Doesn't sem like too much to ask.

5. Inline searching in open/save windows. Wouldn't that be cool?

10.3 is really quite impressive actually. I held off buying a G5 just because I was so impressed with Panther's efficiencies. Great OS.

jackdahi said:
Your right Pengu. But Rendezvous and zeroconf are indeed two separate things. Look it up!

Now as far as Apple; It will benefit from making a free plugin that will integrate Rendezvous into windows services.

I will explain it on another post. I have to get back to work.
Ah, jack...

I'm not quite sure, but how can Rendezvous and Zero Conf be different things, when these two pieces of text come from the two relevant websites:

from www.zeroconf.org mainpage
Apple has announced their Zeroconf networking solution under the product name Rendezvous. Rendezvous forms the foundation for completing Apple's transition from AppleTalk to all-IP networking. Apple's customers have high expectations for ease of use, and Rendezvous enables Apple to meet those expectations. Apple is providing Rendezvous services beginning in the Jaguar release of the Mac OS X Operating Sytem, and will be using those services aggressively in its own applications.

and from http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/index.html
Rendezvous enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Also known as Zero Configuration networking, Rendezvous uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically find each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

Sure, apple might not be using the EXACT same code. But you wouldn't say Safari isn't a browser because it uses different code to Mozilla, or that apples SMB client is different to Windows client, because it uses different code.

Back