10.4 Features!

iPenguin said:
Something that I'd like to see re-implemented in 10.4 is the ability to close windows from the dock.
It was there in 10.2 betas, it was one of the high touted new features for awhile, along with minimize in place, which was also dropped... :confused: Anyone know why?

Panther can close windows from the dock. Right-click or crtr click and have a go..... Not sure about minimize in place though.

macosrumors.com
talks about a really improved disk utility in 10.4...

it seems quite interesting, and overall helpful!!!

Control Click or Right Click the icon in the Dock - HIDE - and the apps window will close

I don't want to just hide the app windows. What I want to be able to do is to actually close the windows. Say I minimize a window to save it for later, and then realize I don't really want it. I'd like to able to right click it and have the option to close it from the dock, rather than un-minimizing it and then closing it. You can do this in the Finder (i just realized...) but not in other applications. This should be implemented in all apps.

I'd like to see Apple focus on the Finder. It hasn't fundamentally improved since 10.0. John Siracusa has written a very good article on the problems of the OS X Finder, so I won't start repeating what he said here.
http://arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

The most annoying thing about the crappy Finder is that improving it clearly can't be very hard, if one person (Path Finder, a great Finder alternative) can come up with a better solution in a short time. Path Finder isn't perfect, but it makes a point.

Unfortunately I currently do not have a Mac. Hopefully by the time I have one again, Apple will have sorted this out.

celeborn said:
I'd like to see Apple focus on the Finder. It hasn't fundamentally improved since 10.0. John Siracusa has written a very good article on the problems of the OS X Finder, so I won't start repeating what he said here.
http://arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

The most annoying thing about the crappy Finder is that improving it clearly can't be very hard, if one person (Path Finder, a great Finder alternative) can come up with a better solution in a short time. Path Finder isn't perfect, but it makes a point.

Unfortunately I currently do not have a Mac. Hopefully by the time I have one again, Apple will have sorted this out.

To be honest, I never liked Path Finder too much, a lot of the time it just felt too busy and still has problems achieving the Spatial Finder described in the article you linked (the last time I used it).

However, I personally think that the whole GUI concept can use a re-design. Treating applications as seperate objects to the user is not always the best way, but rather windows and the associated tasks can be grouped an manipulated by the user, and applications can be launched and quit for those tasks. Granted it would require a whole paradigm shift, but with work I think it could work well. I just wish I had enough experience with flash to be able to do a mock-up.

Personaly, I'd like to see the finder go out alltogether, or atleast be intergreated better with safari. One of the things that I like most about KDE is that is has full .png support (i.e. png files show the contents, not a .png icon), and konq duobles as both a filemanager, and the browser. Plus with things like on the fly translations, it's a killer app for someone who deals with websites that aren't in your native language.

When I heard that safari was based on ktml, I was hopefull, but then I was said, when It didn't featuer alot of konq's more useable featuers. Apple, are you listening??

Well i'd like to see apple intruduce something accross the board all to all apps that they included in iphoto 4.01 I would like to see them let you shut the app from the window (especialy if its only a 1 windo app) like iPhoto the thing is that in iphoto the x at the top left had corner is replaced by a circle - when u click it it shuts the window and the app - much better you have no reason for the app to be open after you have shut the window anyway! but the thing is in iPhoto this icon (the circle) sometimes goes back to the usual x but still perfoms the same task (shuts whole app) what I would like to see apple do is have 4 "buttons" at the top left the first a circle (like in iPhoto) shuts the whole app and obviously the window the second - a x should close that window only and then the usual - buton to minimize and + to maximize. I think this would be beter rather than having to select quit from app menu or comand and Q.

It would also mean that macs on display in shops (obviously not apple stores) wouldnt get all cloged up and seem slow. In my local PC world the macs are all realy slow because people (most of which will be windows users) open up the new and exciting apps like iphoto and itunes to have a look then when theyve dun they close it (by pushing the x buton) they think they have closed the whole app but infact have shut just that window! It thn means when the next customer comes along there might allready bee 4 or 5 app using up RAM neadlessly so the app he or she runs seems slow the problem gets worse and worse and no one ever bother to fix it. This can easily happen to me if I forget to quit and app and just put away the window ( i have my dock hiding turned on) so i rarly get to see the small black triangles which tell you an app is still open and inexperienced users may not notice or not know what these are.

Anyway just my sugestion! :)

Trillian said:
Personaly, I'd like to see the finder go out alltogether, or atleast be intergreated better with safari.

I think this issue has been discussed many times - it's just not Apple's style to lump lots of unrelated features into one app, but instead have many apps which do one thing well and operate well with each other.

Krevinek said:
To be honest, I never liked Path Finder too much, a lot of the time it just felt too busy and still has problems achieving the Spatial Finder described in the article you linked (the last time I used it).

You're right, and I should've been more clear about what I meant - Path Finder is a file browser, and as such works better than Apple's Finder because it functions consistently. Apple should separate the browser and spatial Finder completely, so that when you choose "New window" (new browser would be better, perhaps) you get a browser which always behaves as one and keeps the same view (icon, list or column) ALL THE TIME.
The Spatial Finder functionality, on the other hand, should be exactly like it was in OS 9 - one window per folder and shouldn't allow magically transforming the window into browser.

The behaviour of spring-loaded folders is really weird in the current Finder, too. Sometimes you get a new window (which might or might not have the same view as the previous window) and sometimes you don't. Annoying as h#ll.

I'm still waiting for text ripping. I used to use that so much in 9 when I was surfing or reading a document. Whenever I came across some text(url,address, name) I would highlight and drag it to the desktop creating a text clipping. Then I could take the text clip and drag and paste right into whatever supported it. In osx I have to open up text edit or some other thing copy and paste it.... crazy what where the reasons this went?

I'm sure most people never used this... I'm sure everyone works a little differently. My desktop is truly my desk and no one else's. I have seen 1000's of employees physical desks and some are so sterile and tidy you could operate on it others look like a garbage dump. However, I could take 1000 employees to every desk and they would change something or everything about it. We organize our own ways I can't use a desktop that is neatly organized into folders and subfolders. I need everything thrown right there in front of me. Just like reading a book some people use a card so they don't read beyond the line they are on... I never understood this until I was older. I read by basically taking a snapshot of the page and then one by one the words are transfered into my head. I would strangle myself if I couldn't see all the information all the time at anytime. The only reason I have any folders on my desktop if for information I don't care about, possibly going to throw out or information that I want someone to have a hard time seeing or pretend that is something secretive so they waste there time searching.

Arden,

Thanks for the info on the TAB key use. I didn't know that. That's very cool.

However, I can't get it to work as I would envision. For example, I can navigate the buttons using the TAB key, but I can't figure out how to activate my selection.

For example, let's say I make a new document in TextEdit and choose Save. I can now TAB through to the various options (file name, New Folder, Cancel, Save, etc.). But how do I activate the New Folder selection? Hitting Return or Enter just defaults to the SAVE option. Obviously just tabbing to something doesn't do any good if you can't then activate it via the keyboard. Clearly I'm missing something.

Thanks!

mi5moav said:
I'm still waiting for text ripping.

Text ripping still works, at least in the most recent version of Safari. To be honest though, I really thought it had been disabled too until I tried it just now!

I agree with jobsen_ski, would love to be able to quit applications with just one click on a button. One of the coolest features of OS X is that you can hit a widget without first having to bring its window to the front.

And when you select an alias and choose Show Original, it wouldn't hurt if the Finder always automatically selected and scrolled to it.

mindbend said:
Arden,

Thanks for the info on the TAB key use. I didn't know that. That's very cool.

However, I can't get it to work as I would envision. For example, I can navigate the buttons using the TAB key, but I can't figure out how to activate my selection.

For example, let's say I make a new document in TextEdit and choose Save. I can now TAB through to the various options (file name, New Folder, Cancel, Save, etc.). But how do I activate the New Folder selection? Hitting Return or Enter just defaults to the SAVE option. Obviously just tabbing to something doesn't do any good if you can't then activate it via the keyboard. Clearly I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Spacebar, my friend. Took me about 2 tries to get that.

This thread is now rockin!!!!

How about a major update to Sherlock. I think this application needs some updates and better channels. So far I have been able to do pretty much everything on sherlock but it would be nice for apple to partner with even more people to provide content. Comcast; Time Warner, COX can use these channels to provide information about their interactive services. UPS, FED EX, AIRBORNE EXPRESS, USPS, PILOT and other cargo companies can use these channels for their tracking services. Yes I know these are already done with Watson but, I want to see them in Sherlock.

Other services that can add to Sherlock's and make it a more solid application is the addition of other services such as: traffic conditions across the US with Live video feeds, a solid entertainment channel with guides to cities across the US and Europe, Jobs, SMS from Sherlock.

I know most of these tasks can already be accomplished with out the use of Sherlock but it would still be nice to have this information in one central place.

I want to think of Sherlock as a Heavyweight Champ, which in many ways it already is. But lets make it a more solid tool Apple.

mi5moav said:
highlight and drag it to the desktop creating a text clipping. Then I could take the text clip and drag and paste right into whatever supported it.

This is working for me in lots of applications. I use it all the time in Xcode when i remove big blocks of code. Does anyone know of a short cut to comment out many lines of code at the same time? I want to be able to select the code i want commented, hit a key combo and it insert // at the beginning of each line. Obviously the same command would remove the comments.

I think all the cocoa apps support text clippings, in safari you can drag pictures off, but it saves them as their original format (just a shortcut to "save image as...")

I want to see iPhoto support little movies, i have lots of movies that were taken with my digital camera that have no where to live, they are all in one folder, unnamed, unsorted, and probably never viewed because they are not with the photos that were taken at the same time. iPhoto should support movies as well (im not talking about 600Mb DivX files here - just 3 minute movies!)

I'd like to see three things, maybe someone suggested it and I missed it, but....

1. iPhoto Server Edition - The current version needs a hack to run on Server, but I'd love to have a version that I could use at work that we can have all of our images stored on and shared out via Rendezvous sharing.

2. FontBook Server - Create font sets on "Tiger" server that will be shared out via Rendezvous to FontBook client apps for seemless integration and centralization of font resources.

3. FontBook Rendezvous support - to work with previously mentioned server software.

my point exactly 4 key combos...

i want one key combo, i (am forced to) use .NET at uni and i have to say, its source completion kicks ass, aslo it has that handy commenting feature. But i have to say, it is bloat ware, way to much stuff in visual studio for one app. Off topic, sorry...

I could probably write an apple script to do what i want though - select the block of text i want commented, run key combo for apple-script, it cut the text, add the /* and */ to begging and end then repastes back in (in the blink of an eye).

What better to do on a tuesday night when i should be sleeping... i do that now!

I would like to see some kind of 'magnifying glass' type utility. I suspect video processing power isnt there yet, but wouldnt it be cool if by maybe holding down a couple of keys you could change the mouse into some kind of magnifier? I use maps and largeish high-res images a lot, and get a bit exasperated zooming in and out in preview (its quicker that Acrobat Reader, but not much) as and when I need to.
At first I thought this would be asking too much, especially if you were wanting to change the resolution within the 'lens' area, even on G5s you'd probably be a beachball expert every time you moved the mouse, but maybe its do-able. Hooray for Open-GL.

Back