A little word about profanity

Not everyone here hails from the USA, don't ya know!;)

Seriously, why stand the freedom-of-speech righteous ground to defend your swearing!? Surely you type swear words for the same reason you speak them; it's simply the quickest and most direct way for you to communicate your disatisfaction, without resorting or having to think of all those clever complicated words we learnt.

Don't worry, I am as probably guilty as the rest of you, but I ain't making a petty stand, particularly against a sincere request from the admin -- which by the way, was communicated in the most polite manner.

There's no need to be a rebel without a clause! Clean up your messages!;)

The rules are concise, and there could be some debate over what words constitute vulgarity, I think we all draw the line in pretty much the same place; so no vulgarity.

As for the argument of it being un-american or less than free, that's utter oxen fecal matter. The constitution, and other free country statements of purpose, allow freedom of expression, in-so-much as you are allowed to have and to convey any opinion without federal persecution. This does not limit private clubs, or local governments from making rules beyond this. Furthermore, it does not mean that you get to use any word you want, or do anything that you want, only that you are allowed to express any point of view. I can't state my objection to the murder-is-bad stance of the government by killing people! Although I could, if I had such an opinion, state it.

Don't confuse freedom and anarchy. Trying to attach vulgarity to freedom-of-speech taints the noble gesture of that freedom.

im not trying to express ingnorence or any other bull like that. im just saying that every human should be able to express there mind and opion in the way that they see fit, adding **** to words isnt a big deal its just really anoying, i feel that i have to make less drastic statements because others might be offended, well maybe they should just not read my statements, the world should censor itself, not have a hidden administrator make decisions on what is apropriate. dont like cuss words, dont look. dont like jesus dont be christian. dont like violence on tv, dont watch tv. then maybe all of us who like to hear what ppl REALLY have to say can live alittle better.

First and foremost, if you don't like this place, then leave. No one forces you to come here, no ones makes you read the threads.

I have a few things... first, this place needs to be clean. I will always allow some "rudeness" but at the same time, if you cross the line, your out of here. You should treat everyone on the board like you would threat anyone else and you should speak as you would speak anywhere else, unless that is your just a sailor, and well, we do forgive you.

Now, for the "law violation" issues. First, I honestly think you should be allowed to discuss issues. If you want to say, "Yes, I pirate Adobe Photoshop" in a public forum, that is simply your stupidity. But, if you start talking about blowing up world trade centers and how to build bombs, then we might put a stop to such nonsense.

Admin

Admin, could you just clarify what is acceptable.

Is common place 'light' profanity not tolerated such as (excuse me as I say something that maybe i shouldn't but i'm just demonstrating.):

'what the hell' or 'that kicks ass' or even an abreviation like 'wtf'.

or what about starring out swearing like s**t. Is that acceptable? I'm not saying that I will try and do that, just in case I happen to say something like that :)

10 years ago when I took classes to get my amatuer radio license, they said that no profanity was allowed over the airwaves. A buddy of mine (we were 17 at the time) asked the teacher if saying things like, "Shit, that is a big tornado" was against the rules, "slip of the tongue".

For some reason, at the age of 17, that was a big deal.

Anyhow, at 27, I wouldn't even consider such things a big deal... I would just accept and move forward.

Admin

alright i'm just making sure you wont ban someone (me :)) for saying something like. "What the hell is that?"

You just seem to be cracking down on it and I have to make sure that I'm awake when i post :)

"Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly." - Spencer W. Kimball
Here's what I have to say about this:
The use of profanity is an effort to thrust one's angst, anger or incredulity on another person. It is an attack, in the same sense and motivated by the same intent as physical violence, but it is a mental attack and leaves no visible wounds. Like physical violence, the degree of malevolence with which one uses profanity may be as serious as physical punches or as indiscreet as intimidating gestures or actions. And the damage and hurt are no less real for profanity than they are for violence. The extent of the hurt is impossible to determine because people can become so calloused to vulgar language that what eventually comes to feel like a nudge on the shoulder to some is a slap on the face to those who have not become so desensitized. Is, then, desensitization to foul language a virtue? Is it the solution? No, because it would never last -- desensitization defeats the purpose of the profaner. No one who uses vulgar language wishes for an audience that "doesn't care." Crude speech is an attempt by the author to expose to his recipient's mind whatever ugly, revolting or shocking images he can in his feebleness afford. If society, which gives meaning to words, or a select group of individuals begin to redefine or tolerate profane words so that they no longer have such a strong impact the profaners will only augment their putrid vocabulary. One need not venture further than a local high school to witness this dynamic succession.
Insensitivity to profanity isn't the ability of a higher intellect to separate inkblots from emotions. Insensitivity to profanity occurs only when one stops caring about those things being profaned by the vulgar use of the words that represent them and about the people perpetrating the vulgar language. Why is "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" such an important mandate in the Judeo-Christian faiths? It is at least in part because in order to be able to profane their Creator's name they cannot hold the respect and love that such a one surely deserves, and in the act of profaning they further distance themselves from him. Why do so many vulgar words stem from the most sacred or the most revolting aspects of life? Because those things evoke the most emotion. It is not the weakness of the offended listener to be upset by the images and feelings such slander produces. It is the weakness of the profaner to be so far detached emotionally from these things that they no longer have any impact upon him. Control over one's emotions produces freedom, suppression of one's emotions makes life meaningless.
And if we do not wish to require the extermination of emotion -- what then should we do about those who recklessly endeavor to attack our sensitivities because they can find no better way to express themselves? No civilized society permits their citizens to recklessly employ physical violence to communicate their emotions. Why then should any society tolerate similarly violent mental abuse? The United States of America does not. As outlined by law and demonstrated in several US Supreme Court cases, "the First and Fourteenth Amendments have never been thought to give absolute protection to every individual to speak whenever or wherever he pleases, or to use any form of address in any circumstances that he chooses." (John Marshall Harlan, US Supreme Court Justice, "Cohen v. California") The US Constitution provides no protection to several uses of speech, including libel (slander), "fighting words" and obscenities. In 1978, for example, the US Supreme Court upheld the Federal Communications Commission (a government agency) in "FCC v. Pacifica Foundation" in its right to censor programs like one radio broadcast entitled "Filthy Words". In response to the suggestion that those offended by foul language should remove themselves from the situation, Justice John Paul Stevens, joined by Justice Rehnquist and Chief Justice Burger, explained: "To say that one may avoid further offense by turning off the radio when he hears indecent language is like saying that the remedy for an assault is to run away after the first blow." If the Constitution provides for government agencies to censor the inappropriate and aggressive use of language on public radio waves, how much more appropriate is it that we be allowed to do even more in a private institution? Justices Powell and Blackman, concurring with the Court's decision, also said: "the language employed [was], to most people, vulgar and offensive. It was chosen specifically for this quality, and it was repeated over and over as a sort of verbal shock treatment."
I didn't come here for shock treatment (though after seeing the length of this post some of you might think that's what I need... ;) ) and I didn't come here to be assaulted by the careless, malevolent or calloused minds of those employing a putrid and a lazy vocabulary. Fortunately for me, the forum conditions we all agreed to say the same thing.

*twyg makes a mental note to self*

"When applicable quotes and exceedingly well written answers to foolish posts is needed, refer to Page 1 of jeb1138's 'Organized arguments for a random world'"

*Tertiary note*

"When it becomes apparent that a little more 'umph' is needed, refer to Page 1 of Admin's 'Making your point good 'n solid'"

I thank those of you for the support that you have lent. It makes the board a better place.

Well said, Gadget.

Originally posted by GadgetLover
I agree and will censor myself but ...

I do find it troubling that no one discusses the "WHERE CAN I PIRATE THIS ILLEGAL PIECE OF SOFTWARE" threads but profanity is taboo?? I find threads that talk about TRUE 'hacking' or how to circumvent copyright law to be just as un "professional" as people saying ahh sh**t.

As such, I am confused.

SAMUCA_futebol2.jpg

Eu teria
Um desgosto profundo,
Se  faltasse
O Flamengo no mundo,
Ele vibra,
Ele é fibra
Muita libra já pesou
Flamengo até morrer
Eu sou.
:D :D :D

E você? :)

What the hell? I don't need some professional dick telling me how to post! If you don't want swearing then write a script to clean it up. Otherwise, go fu[k yourself. I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to some prudish, "family values" man pimping his morality on me. Sometimes profanity is needed, particularly by those who lack the writing ability to communicate their thoughts emphatically. If you don't like it then don't read it, shield your virgin eyes and leave me the fu[k alone!

And if you are concerned about school kids seeing words like "fu[k", "sh!t", or "[unt", then step back into reality. They hear far worse on the playground for sure.

PS: This is my first post containing ANY profanity at all here at these fora. It's sorta like flag burning laws....normally I don't go around desecrating my country's flag, but when right wing whackos begin sicking the jack-booted thugs on flag burners, the first thing I want to do is torch a flag. Get my drift? This is America, and FREEDOM is something to be cherished.

Let's ignore the above post and let admin deal with it!!:D ;)

Hey Jeb!!!

I'm an adopted Flamengista (my fiancee is a Carioca, but supports Botafogo:( , here mother supports Vasco:( , but her two brothers took me aside and kindly pursuaded me to support Flamengo:rolleyes: !!)

I went to watch Vasco at the Maracana, but can't wait to go and see Flamengo!!)

... By the way, I'm an eternal Scouser (Liverpool!!!!)

:p :p

Originally posted by Aqualung
They hear far worse on the playground for sure.

And they feel the need to use it because if peer pressure. So why don't we try using the same idea to stop it. If everyone starts acting like responsible, intelligent adults, then these poor language impaired children (of all ages it would seem :D ) would start to feel the need to learn new forms of expressing themselves.

Not that I mine really, in debates in this forum, when a person starts to lose their cool enough to lower themselves to that type of language... they are pretty much on the ropes anyway. So yes, it helps to see when an argument is almost won.

I would note that this is really not a new thing, and you agreed to the rules of this forum when you accepted membership. So if you wish to continue your protest, please don't be surprised if you end up joining our friend LTM as a voiceless viewer.

i have visited many boards, i have run many boards, but nowhere, Nowhere there was so much profanity and swearing as on de online TFC and CS game servers we run. until... we started banning each and every puberal kid that was unable to control himself, or other individuals that thought swearing had anything to do with freedom of speach.

many forum threads, both here and on countless other boards have been spent on the subject.

the bottom line is, both on the gaming servers and here on the board, you (we) are using a free service that is provided bound within certain rules. Like there are traffic rules, and rules on exactly how to withdraw cash from a bank.

SO, the rules imposed on this board have nothing to do with freedom, and all i can say is; go for it admin & moderators, because strength, and strenght only, can garantuee true freedom.
Both in the so called real world, and the virtual worlds we created for ourselfs.

in this case, freedom from the foul mouthed people wo think they actualy have a defendeble "right cause",

the good news is, eventualy they grow up.

Back