Anti hack for os x 10.2!

dudeguy - i would consider this an act of malicious behavior. i can only hope that no one has experienced any problems as a result of your prank. i feel responsible for allowing this to have been posted at all after getting several reports from concerned members. I weighed in your past history here and chose to give you the benefit of the doubt. You have sorely disappointed us all.

You have tainted our efforts to build a community of trust and support. The ones who will suffer are the legitimate developers who generously share witht he community from time to time. You have cast a shadow of doubt upon the integrity of all members of this site. This is the real shame. your age may be an explanation for what occurred, but it is not an excuse.

I will be referring this incident to the moderation team and admin for consideration of appropriate disciplinary actions.

thanks to all who voiced their concern over this thread. i apologize for my lack of actions sooner.

Dudeguy,

Not cool at all. I can't believe you wasted everyone's time with this hoax. Well I hope you had a good laugh from all of this Dudeguy. And you can know that your "prank" cost you the trust of just about every person on this website who will read this thread.

What you do and post from this point will no doubt determine your future here in this community. Please consider that in the future.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
i would consider this an act of malicious behavior. i can only hope that no one has experienced any problems as a result of your prank.

Does MacOSX.com have any way of checking files for viruses or other malicious code uploaded by its members?

I never thought of this until this happened. A trojan horse could be propagated this way, though it would have very short life, yet some damage would be done. Mac OS X doesn't have many if any exploits to take advantage of.

Originally posted by testuser
For example, anyone can post something like the following: "to optimize your drive, open the Terminal and type 'sudo rm -Rf /'".

Someone could probably very easily put that into an AppleScript with a popup window asking for the administrator's password stating that the file permissions or whatever needs to be accessed/changed to optimize your hard drive. When you enter your password, WHAM! 'sudo rm -Rf /' starts to "optimize" your hard drive...in the wrong kind of way. Of course your HD will be optimized, you're going to reinstall Mac OS X when it's finished. I read somewhere that Apple made the Terminal, or UNIX xommands AppleScriptable. I just tried this in the Terminal with no success (that's GOOD).

Yeah, I think applescript is quite insecure... You don't even need to make it have admin privs to do damage - sudo rm -Rf ~/* would work quite well. And with applescript you can save it as a run-only and then noone knows what it does until it's too late... But this isn't anything new - you could easily move the Documents folder to the trash and empty under os 9.

I've heard people criticising M$ for making Visual Basic too powerful and system-wide, making macro viruses and trojans easy to write. Applescript could be just as bad, if more people used it.

As an avid developer using OS X, from time to time I peruse the postings on these forums to find out what other people's experiences are. Usually, I can tell from the subject of a thread whether it is worth my time to read. This one I read only because I suspected someone wanted to try to do something nasty - by uploading a trojan style chunk of code similar to the applescripts that have been discussed here. My first thought, upon reading Dudeguy's original post was that he must not be a native english speaker, and really had no idea what he was talking about (visions of Herve coming to mind - no, I mean the Early Herve). Then I began to think it was someone who decided to unleash the biggest baddest most worstest virus that they had made on their pc, disguised as something for a mac.

How disappointing to find that it is just an extremely juvenille 13 year old with nothing better to do.

Dudeguy - Your actions have wasted all of our time. I am not going to offer any suggestions on how to fix your OS 9 problem - and I highly doubt that anyone else will either - we have better things to do, and better people to help.

(just my $.02)

Originally posted by scaryfish
Yeah, I think applescript is quite insecure... You don't even need to make it have admin privs to do damage - sudo rm -Rf ~/* would work quite well.

How can an AppleScript on OS X erase the complete HD without having Admin permissions?!?

Everyone, Dudeguy was my account, but my friend bill is pissed off at me, and somehow got into my account. He doesn't know shit about programing. He was making fun of me with the classic thing! He wanted to piss all of you off so you wouldn't help me out. Don't worry everyone, I'll go to his house, kick his ass, then leave. Sorry everyone,
ANDROO (this is really me this time!).

I'm glad there is such thing as a mature 13 year old out there.
Too bad dudeguy and friends are not good examples of this.

:(

I'm 13 and I don't use that as an excuse to post random fake applications that could be trojans...
(I wouldn't go so far as "mature" though :))

How can an AppleScript on OS X erase the complete HD without having Admin permissions?!?

It can't - I was just making the point you don't need to erase the complete HD to do damage. The example I gave just deletes everything in your home folder - all you documents, pictures, movies, MP3s, prefs etc.

Not quite as bad as erasing the complete HD, but still bad enough.

I'm 16 and I don't use age as an excuse for anything. Age is no excuse for any type of malicious behavior. "Just having fun" is no excuse. I have learned this the hard way.

Grow up, Dudeguy/Androo52, you poser.

Back