Can't select destination volume to install Mac OS X software

Hi again

thank you for your suggestion, but as I understand I already have GPT (GUID partition Table), see attached text below.
I would really appreciate any more good suggestions

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Tillverkare: Intel
Produkt: ICH8-M AHCI
Hastighet: 3 Gigabit
Beskrivning: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

ST3500630AS Q:

Kapacitet: 465,76 GB
Modell: ST3500630AS Q
Revision: 3.BTH
Serienummer: 9QG51MAX
Native Command Queuing: Ja
Kölängd: 32
Borttagbart medium: Nej
Borttagbar enhet: Nej
BSD-namn: disk0
Mac OS 9-drivrutiner: Nej
Typ av partitionskarta: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T.-status: Kontrollerad
Volymer:
Macintosh HD:
Kapacitet: 465,44 GB
Tillgängligt: 33,05 GB
Skrivbar: Ja
Filsystem: Journaled HFS+
BSD-namn: disk0s2
Plats: /
Boot OSX:
Kapacitet: 128 MB
Skrivbar: Ja
Filsystem: Journaled HFS+
BSD-namn: disk0s3
Plats:

I think the problem is your HD is Swedish. :)

You need to translate it into Swahili if you have a white disk [Stop that!--Ed.]

Sorry . . . okay here is a SUGGESTION that you should use as a LAST resort and ONLY after you have backed up your HD to an External HD. IF you have not done that, go out NOW, get one for under $100 which is . . . like Eleventy Eurochips or whathave you.

We will wait.

. . .

. . .

*Starts searching for "Mila Kunis," "Meat dress"*

. . .

Ah! You are back! Good! Reason for backing up--sorry if it is obvious but you would be surprised at how many do not do this--is so if you frell up anything following our "helpful suggestions" you can simply go back to your back up--TimeMachine is one way--I use SuperDuper! because I started with it.

Anyways, according to MacTracker your iMac---24-inch Mid 2007--can run Snow Leopard. It lists that it has a Firmware Update. Check to see that that has been done. I am not sure that would prevent you upgrading to SL, but you might as well make sure.

Next, is the suggestion that you MAY try if nothing else works and you HAVE backed up your HD.

• 1. Back up your HD.
    2. Check you have backed up your HD.
    3. Have you backed up your HD?
    4. Boot to the SL disk
    5. Go to Disk Utilities, erase the INTERNAL HD, format it properly, THEN load the OS.
    6. Make some coffee, gloat that you have backed up your HD.
    7. When done, connect your EXTERNAL HD and use Migration Assistant to bring "you" from your EXTERNAL HD over.

That is a bit extreme. It is basically cleaning your HD, fresh installing the OS, then transferring yourself over. If it does not work, either you have a problem with the disk or you have a problem with your HD.

Or someone smarter than me--most of them :)--will have a better suggestion.

--J.D.

Alright, thanx for the fun, what have you been drinking?

Anyway, obviously I have thought about this, but I also was curious why it doesnt work right away.

If I dont get any other suggestion I will try this. This iMac is only one out of my five Mac at home and I have some TimeMachines, I am not stupid.

Alright, thanx for the fun, what have you been drinking?

Trader Joe's Dark Roast and the blood of a few virgins no one should miss. . . .

Anyway, obviously I have thought about this, . . .

Have you? We are telepathic? We should assume you know all of this? Of course, I should have imagined you knew of the firmware update, for everyone knows they should check their firmware, yes? As I indicated in my learn'd response, you would be surprised the level of unsophistication of those who ask questions. Seriously, this is a HELP forum and one encounters all sorts of users, many in a stage of panic, who offer little information. In the name of charity and good will, we few, we happy few, strive to shepherd the weak through the valley of the darkness, for to be truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost files.

Yes, perhaps, "did you back up your hard drive" may seem a trite, pedestrian, even condescending--you know, "talking down to you?"--question, but, still people do not do it. People do not boot from their installation disks--"What's that!"--they do not simply run Disk Utility. They do not indicate whether or not they checked their firmware.

Though they do tend to give information on an English based forum in, well, English, but, to be fair, I did once have people demand directions of me in Madrid in Swedish--they did not know German, Spanish, English, or even Russian--persisting and speaking louder and slower with increasing agitation. So, you never know.

Form dictates it best not to assume the sophistication of anyone nor facts not actually in evidence.

. . . I am not stupid.

I am unaware of anyone who implied that you are. Perhaps I missed that as well. . . .

You must try, Comrade Zilkov, to cultivate a sense of humor.

--Dr. Yen Lo, Pavlov Institute, The Manchurian Candidate

--J.D.

I think your hard drive is not properly formatted now. Have you ever tried Boot Camp (used for installing Windows?)
The suggestion to backup, erase, and restore - is probably a good fix if your hard drive has an extra boot partition that you are now not using.

Hey guys I'm in sort of the same situation as Hefner except I can't just create a new partition. If I do that I'll lose everything...unless some one can confirm otherwise. I'm not very knowledgable on Macs from an administrative standpoint, I work on PC's all day so anything helps. Thanks so much everyone!

Back