If the G5 is true, are you buying one?

The question is somewhat rhetorical, of course, given that we've all been salivating over this for months.

The real question is when and what model! :)

For me, it's whatever the top machine is come next January (after the expo). I'm holding out for January only due to a self-imposed two year rule for all machines. January is the two year anniversary of my work box.

My only issue now is whether to keep going desktop or to consider a laptop. A really good laptop these days can do some really impressive stuff. A DP laptop would be a no brainer, I'm laptop all the way if that beast shows up someday.

Can't wait to see the resale value of my G4s! Zero.

garymum4d, where do you work? I'm at AMD and I'll switch anywhere for a boss who is willing to buy me Macs! Especially a G5 Mac. =)

And YES, I'll buy a G5 but will wait for the second set to arrive. Oh, did I mention that I work at AMD and YES I have seen many Apple employees at AMD doing something (don't know exactly what). I really think they were working with AMD on HyperTransport because there both on the consortium. And if those specs are true 1Ghz system bus and 8 gig of RAM, then that tells me 2 things for sure, they are using HyperTransport and it is a 64-bit processor.

Yup. I let my soon-to-be-ex wife keep the 2000 vintage PowerMac (I bought it when the OSX Public Beta first became available) with the idea that I would want to upgrade to the 970 as soon as possible.

I'll probably aim at the low to mid range PowerMacs and add a nice LCD monitor and a Formac TV tuner. That together with my HK Champagne speakers and cable modem should make for a nicely converged audio, video, photo and internet appliance.

Unfortunately, probably not - I have to buy furniture first (I think I'm about to put the local furniture dealer's kids into braces, college, AND nice weddings). ...And it will be impossible for me to justify at work unless the 1.8ghz 970 runs Ethereal 2-3x faster than a comparable Windows machine... Hmmm... There's still no Exchange-compatible mail client for OS X, right?

Completely OT, but Serpicolugnut, what is your Avatar? It's been bugging me for a long time.

Rip

Well, I'm happy if the specs are true, because then I'd be able to buy a cheap, cheap 1.4 GHz G4 on eBay pretty soon. What's more, my aunt and uncle (loooooooaaaaaaaadddddddddddeeeeeeeddddddddd ;) ) said they'd buy me the computer OF MY CHOICE when I go to college (In 3 years). And seeing as how I want to get into film (I love video editing) I'll be getting my G5, or, pray, G6 around then.

No... I will not be upgrading my hardware this time around.

Now Panther is another matter... I presume I WILL want to get my hands on that ASAP.

I've been installing/upgrading OS X ever since the public beta... I am overdue for a clean install, and Panther might be the right time for me to actually do this.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
...1. These PowerMacs are much faster than anything (consumer desktops) else in existance. Supply vs. Demand. You do the math...
Whenever people ask me about buying a new Mac I alwys tell them to wait for MacWorld or whenever new machines are introduced... and then go buy the "old" one. :)

So go out and buy the reduced $ G4's right after the new g5 machines are introduced. If you needn't be bleading edge, that's the way to get the best $value.

Originally posted by ksv
Well, according to IBM's own papers, production of the 970 will start some time in the second half of the year. That rarely means it started 1. june. We'll possibly see a prototype on WWDC, but no final products until September or January I'm afraid. And yea, I call myself an optimist ;)
I was wondering why they would be announcing hardware at WWDC... Don't they usually wait for MacWorld. (MW SF is in January.)

However their might be a happy medium... It is possibly that the hardware will be ready after WWDC, but before January...

I would normally agree, but not now when it comes to the introduction of a new chip (and a jump fron 32 to 64bits. in all probability if you pay the "extra" money to be kind of bleeding edge just this time, i think the machine will last longer. It's a bit like the powermac-transition.

Originally posted by Decado
Yes. I am buying one. I will sell my eMac (since it is only a year old i think i will get a ok price for it) and use that money so the new computer wont feel that expensive. probably the cheepest of them will be my choice. My only problem is that i will have to get a display also :(
I've been burned twice buying the low end "business" machines. (7200 & rev a B&W G3) In both cases Apple somehow crippled the machines by omiting things or using lower on-motherboard components... (7200 lacked the upgradeable CPU daughter card of the 7500. G3 could only support a single ATA drive.) In both cases this made the machines infintly less upgradeable than their mid-tier and high-end siblings.

It is always my reccomendation to save your money longer and NOT get the low end machine... or skip the low end business machine and get a higher end consumer machine (iMac).

Originally posted by TommyWillB
I was wondering why they would be announcing hardware at WWDC... Don't they usually wait for MacWorld. (MW SF is in January.)

However their might be a happy medium... It is possibly that the hardware will be ready after WWDC, but before January...

What's special this year is that there is no stevenote at the July MacWorld. So hardware releases are either now or Apple Expo in Paris (which isn't traditionally the expo for major hardware releases).

Originally posted by Ripcord
...There's still no Exchange-compatible mail client for OS X, right?...
It must be VERY close, because I know people at work who have been using the beta version for months... Since at least April.

They all say it is very stable and an lot more capable than Outlook 2001 for OS 9.x...

(I never bothered personally because until recently my PeeCee was much newer than my Mac... Also I like running MS software better on MS OS's... Just fewer issues.)

As for the "compatible" part you can use any email client that is POP or IMAP capable with Exchange. (To directly contradict my last MS comment) I use Entourage on my Mac to talk to our Work Exchange server without issue. Obviously this is just email and not all of the calendaring stuff...

TommyWillB wrote:
>In both cases this made the machines
>infintly less upgradeable than their mid-
>tier and high-end siblings.

Yes. i will have to look into that before buying. the eMac wasnt a let-down, but i didnt buy it to upgrade it later on.

I'll get one - if it's a G5 Laptop!

Doubt I'll be buying another desktop anytime soon.

Hopefully this will cut down on the CPU Upgrade kit prices ($1,000 for Dual 1Ghz G4s??? Eek!).

Yup I'm getting one. sold my newish dual 1.25 yesterday. I'm guessing the 1.6 will enter in around 1500 dollars or so

I might order a laptop for next semester (I expect a lot of travelling) if it has the right specs and pricing...

Back