Is Panther a MUST have?

Dlatu1983

Prime Minister
I'm going to the release party on Thursday night, and I'm wondering...is it worth it to get panther now? I'm a 20 year old student, so I'm not exactly loaded...I'm your "average" user...surfing the web, e-mail, iTunes, eyeTV, and chatting...it doesnt seem like there's anything in there compelling enough for me to buy it right now, even with the $69 student deal...I'm thinking I may be better off getting some hardware. Maybe the iPod voice recorder or something...or maybe saving up for an iSight. Am I on base here, or are there features that are "must haves" (not "cool features", but crucial ones I "need")

I agree wholeheartedly! MUST HAVE PANTHER! :D Absolutely!

As far as preliminary test, Panther will be faster and most iApps have enhanced functionality and stability. This may not be worth $69,- to you, but it surely is one of the reasons, even for "average" users to upgrade.
All the interface novelties in Finder (new Finder, exposé, user switching etc.), may one by one not be enough to persuade you, but the total package can enhance your work- or joyflow considerably.

All in all I would advise anyone to upgrade. For advanced users there are even more reasons (XCode, updated Unix underneath, X11 final etc.)

I cant save $ for ANYTHING. last month, I dropped my paycheck on a digital camera. 2 weeks ago, it was a bluetooth cellphone. This last week, a bluetooth dongle for my iMac. Now I want NICE earbuds for my iPod, the iPod recorder, Panther, and maybe a powerbook or ibook....

I don't know...a student doesn't really need panther. If you use your computer for work or for a portofilio then you might want to upgrade.

For me, Exposé is a "must have" feature. I'm constantly doing 80 things at the same time, and I know this would make things much easier on me than constant dock-shuffling.

I feel like my G3/500 indigo iMac is not going to like Panther. I doubt about my iMac running Panther faster than Jaguar... Am I right ?

I would be willing to bet you'd be surprised at how much better Panther would run on your iMac than Jaguar does... I'm not gonna say you're going to see G4 speeds out of your iMac, but I bet you'd be "pleasantly surprised" at how much better it runs.

Remember, this is opposite of Windows. Each release of OS X has gotten better and faster, unlike Windows, which gets more bloated and slower with time.

I'll wait. Lately I've been critical to Apple products, they seem to test very little before releasing (15" PB, iTunes for Windows, 10.2.8).

I'll see if anyone deletes their comp or anything, and if not I'll buy it...

My Jaguar story: I waited something like 6 months (I have a rule: always wait for major.minor.something-higher-than-initial-release-version of almost anything before I buy it) before buying Jag from my campus bookstore. I got something like a 5$ rebate.

Bam, the day I install it I read in my school paper that a bunch of Apple reps are giving it away for FREE :mad:

I'm interested in Panther, and I definately spend more time at my computer than, say, in class :rolleyes: good thread Dlatu1983.

I'll buy it Friday at the opening of the new Apple store here, but I doubt if I'll install it until next week. I want to see what problems people are having, because if my Entourage doesn't work... I'll be in a RAGE.

Urbansory: have you heard that Entourage might not work??

(PS This is why i have that x.y.z++ installation rule ;)).

I read somewhere in the Panther beta thread that there were some problems, but I guess we'll know for sure this weekend. Unless M$ releases more updates.

AppleInsider.com has a page about Panther NOT being kind to older G4s and G3s. It said that fast user switching took a good minute to complete, window redrawing speeds are in the second(s) (PLURAL!!!) range, emptying the trash also supposedly takes a long time. Personally, I'll wait to see how it affects other G3 owners.

No, Mike, that's not an "old" G4 because the new iBooks are barely faster than that. I'd guess that "old" would be 300-400 Mhz, stuff like that... though I would have thought that Panther would improve performance on those machines.

Back