Mac Mini - Potential Downside

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
For those who may not know, the Mac Mini uses laptop size hard drives, or 2.5. These are much more expensive than 3.5 counter parts used in the iMac G5, and most desktop systems. Plus, the drive that comes with the Mac Mini is only 4200.

I know for performance the minimum RPM I will buy is 7200. So, if you plan on doing anything disk intensive, the Mac Mini is not a good option.

Over all, the Benchmarks of the Mac Mini look okay, but this is a real killer.

A 7200 60GB 2.5 drive is around $240. Much MORE expensive than it's 3.5 counter part.

The Mac Mini is a higher cost solution for upgrades than say, a eMac or a low end iMac G5.

Didn't realise the 2.5 drives were more expensive. It's a curious move on Apple's part.

Personally, I would have been perfectly happy (happier even) with a bigger Mac mini using 3.5 drives.

In fact, what I would have really loved would have been the Cube Mark II

• 3.5 drives
  • Make it just as easy to remove the casing as it was for the Cube
  • Put the Apple logo on the front, under the DVD drive
Kap

I have a mini. I've been using it all weekend.
As a general surfing, word processing machine the mini is just fine.
I've also spent about 5 hours in bbedit and working with apache/php all with no issues at all.

I also tried some photoshop stuff and this is where the mini bogged down while hitting the HD for memory.

I agree that the HD is way too slow for pro tasks, but is passable for the average home user.

ScottW said:
A 7200 60GB 2.5 drive is around $240. Much MORE expensive than it's 3.5 counter part.

While I'll agree the price for a notebook drive is conciderably more expensive, $240 is about 90 dollars more than you need to pay.

NewEgg.com is selling a 60GB 7200RM 2.5 Notebook Hard Drive for 149.50.

I plan on buying a Mac mini, and giving it a boost. Its worth it, IMHO.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you do not need to put a faster drive into it, just use an external Firewire drive if that is what you need. I have run my TiBook off of an external 7200 RPM drive and it was like getting a new computer.

Also, I don't think that going with a notebook size drive was just a size issue, the larger faster drives also run hotter and are louder. I am not sure that they could make the mini cool it well enough without increasing the airflow through the case which means a more annoying fan noise.

Hey podmate,

Could you run xbench (xbench.com) and give a score. I've been comparing a lot of relatively stock machines lately and would like to see how the Mini stacks up. A realize that 1001 functions can effect the score, but I'm just looking for a rough number.

Thanks,
lgb

lbj said:
Hey podmate,

Could you run xbench (xbench.com) and give a score. I've been comparing a lot of relatively stock machines lately and would like to see how the Mini stacks up. A realize that 1001 functions can effect the score, but I'm just looking for a rough number.

Thanks,
lgb

Machine:
Mac Mini -- 1.42Ghz, 512mb RAM, 80gb 4200rpm HD

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=93100

Here are my Cinebench 2003 scores:

Rendering (Single CPU): 130 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): --- CB-CPU

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 156 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 377 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 475 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 3.04

man you guys are making want one of these things even more than i do now, but i don't even need one. i already have 8 macs.

Jeffo said:
man you guys are making want one of these things even more than i do now, but i don't even need one. i already have 8 macs.

Trust me, you need one. You don't just want it you NEED it.

Now for a duhh moment on my part:

"RDF" ?!

Raw Data File?
Resource Description Framework?
Recursive Digital Filter?
Radio Direction Finder?

based on the take apart pics that have been popping up I would say it would be quite easy to change the hd to a 7200 rpm with 8mb. hitachi makes a 60 gb 2.5" 7200 8mb that sells for about 200 canadian so about 150-165 us. it would be worth it for the improvment.

I noticed a huge improvment going from a 5400 to a 7200 so imagine going 4200 to 7200. the 1.42ghz mini seems to be getting xbench scores around 115-120 but a 7200 rpm and a gb of ram would easily get it up to 135-140.

It really does make you wonder why Apple didn't make it more user-friendly in the tweaking department; after all, at that cost, if something really broke that was not covered by warranty, you could easily just buy another one and Apple would benefit from being able to claim greater numbers shipped!

Back