Problems with my new macbook..help needed

djc_nl

Registered
ok here it goes,
im getting awfully tired of Mac, i bought my macbook a week ago 'fresh' from the apple store...

programs on the os x system freeze every day, stop responding, the OS doesnt freeze, but the apps do, wich is really F*cking annoying, i thought a mac was suppose to be stable and all..

the brightness is changed every time i restart.

the Macintosh HD icon is moved to a different place on the desktop every time i restart.

this is the 1299 $ white macbook..
im actually thinking of bringing this piece of ** back and exchanging it fora black one.. (1499 $ ) .. so that'd be 200 bucks to pay?

is there an extra fee or no? should i just exchange, or 'bring it in cause of weird problems' ?

idk idk, opinions please..

Apple does have a 90 day return policy. Few years back I returned an PB, and they gave me another one, no questions asked other than what was going on with the computer.
If you think something is wrong with it, don't waste time, take it back.

but wont i have to like prove a bunch of stuff, show 'm whats wrong ect ect,
they wont send me to the "genious bar" or anything?

the reciept does say something about "open box = 200 $ fee".. but i think thats only if u wanna return ur mac..

Have you tried performing a reinstallation? Since you bought this MacBook new you should have all of the restore discs to put everything back in order. Just backup your files and wipe the MacBook clean. Restore the operating system and all of the applications and then bring back your documents. If you still have the problems with crashing and freezing, then take it in to Apple so that they can have a look at it.

i'dtry first to bring all updates (apple->software update), accept at minimum all firmaware and os update, then reboot if required.
you might just be few step from the really mac experience you expected...

something just happened again (and still while im typing this)

using Captain FTP for last 15 minutes, and now my CPU/FAN just got extremely loud, opened activity monituor and appearantly its using 202% of my CPU.. for past 5 minutes, and still.

this happens to like every program i use, VLC, captain FTP, divx player.

(done typing this) still using 200 % of CPU.

i just checked my download in the program, and the program is frozen..
soo, frozen + 200 % cpu..
so sick of this.. :(

about re-installing OS X... im not really willing to do that since i got this thing for 6 days now. it'd be ridiculous that a mac needs a clean install after 6 days of buying it..
same goes for software update..

Still, it doesn't hurt to try. REmember that these are installed at the factory and it could be that someone at Apple borked the install, or somthing got borked along the way. A clean installation might resolve that, especially since YOUR the one doing it. If not, then it might be something else like hardware and might need to be looked at. But at least you've ruled out the possibility of it being a software issue if this is the case. That's what troubleshooting is all about. ;)

djc_nl, you're paying extra for a Mac and part of what you're paying for is less hassle. You did not create the problems; they were there from the start. It's up to the Apple people to fix them. You've got better things to do with your time.

Did _you_ pay extra for anything like that? I bought my MacBook for a very normal price, myself. Actually, it was a little less than expected. Yes, btw., that was irony. Ignoring that there _might_ be Software Updates solving the problem would be just stupid! So _don't_ be stupid. Something's obviously wrong, and you're here to talk about it on a Mac support forum, so why not _accept_ some of the tips that are given? If you only want to vent about how bad Apple is, do so in the opinions forum. This thread says "help needed", so _please_ do take the help that's given.

1.) Run Software Update and install all available updates. (Restart may be needed.)
2.) Repair permissions on your system volume using Disk Utility. (Restart afterwards. It doesn't say it's required, but you should to see any effect.)
3.) What applications/tools/drivers/stuff have you installed and are you running? Maybe one or the other is clogging the CPU and getting rid of it or replacing it with either a different thing or a newer version might actually solve the problem.

"The all-new macbook, updates despirately needed after 5 days of running"

this isnt the quality that i exppected from apple yep. and yes i do care about opinions and i deff consider them.

fryke, im not here to diss apple, at all.. im here to share opinions, and see what other ppl would do in my situation, its also about a 2 hour drive to the closest apple store for me so yeah.

im wrapping shit up now and going to the apple store.. ill post what happends lol

It's no secret that some Macbooks have problems more than the rest of the Mac lineup. Apple might have released system updates or firmware since the Macbook was imaged so I can't see why you're so hesitant about doing that. After all it would take less than the time it takes to keep coming back here saying you don't want to do it.

Your machine is probably messed up from the start though either the system which reinstalling it could fix or the hardware isn't working properly. Reinstalling takes less time than driving the 2 hrs to the Apple store and it might just fix your Macbook so why not try it?

im wrapping shit up now and going to the apple store.. ill post what happends lol
Best of luck. Hopefully they'll be able to clear up the situation. I hope it's not needed, but as with any place you might have to be pleasantly persistent until things are fully resolved.

To be honest, I've seen Windows XP on new machines need about 50 updates and these are new machines we're talking about, so consider it a blessing that all you needed were 5 updates on the Mac. :rolleyes: Again, doing a reinstallation would have solved the issue without that much hassle. Besides, they are going to probably ask if you did that and if you say no, then they are going to recommend the same thing in order to rule out a software problem with the OS. At best, they might end up doing it for you anyways...hopefullly you won't get charged for something you could have done yourself if you had just put the time into it. Sounds like someone has been to the Larry Bodine School of Law and Marketing.

I'm going with fryke on this one....this is starting to reek of trolltalk. :confused:

waited 2 hours for appointment @ genious bar.. after that they took the macbook in and came to conlusion that the "volume structure" was messed up.. so they "repaired" it and now its suppose to be all good, gonna see what happens.

oh and now the top of my macbook is scratched.. :mad:

hi i have similar problem of freezing. Basically i acidentally dropped my macbook and now it freezes an aweful lot. it have become slower and i am very afraid that my brand new macbook might become a waste of money. where do i go for help and how much will that cost. is there a way to fix this problem at home on my own or what? please help

well if ya dropped it maybe your house contents insurance will cover it? Not really mac's fault is it?

djc, I would complain if you know for sure they scratched it, though it's easy to do. I treat mine like a baby and it has scratches on it. I'm telling myself it's less anal having a slightly scratched one than a fetish object!

waited 2 hours for appointment @ genious bar.. after that they took the macbook in and came to conlusion that the "volume structure" was messed up.. so they "repaired" it and now its suppose to be all good, gonna see what happens.

oh and now the top of my macbook is scratched.. :mad:

I will bet you all they did was run the Repair Disk option using Disk Utility while booted from the installation discs. Did they charge you for it?

If this was the case, then hopefully you will be OK. If not, then I stlll recommend giving the reinstallation a try. From what you're saying, it sounded like a software problem.

As for abc123456abc, If you dropped it from a high elevation then it's possible that the hard drive might have taken a hit from the impact, which means that you might need to replace the hard drive (since it's possibly physically damaged from the impact of the fall). Apple's portables should have a mechanism that locks the heads to prevent this from happening (at least I remember the PowerBook G4 having this), but I'm not quite sure about the MacBooks. The technology was from IBM, so now with the change to Intel who knows if they're still using that or something similar.

This is hardly Apple's fault and would happen just the same with any other laptop. You can't blame the company for the user's accident or error. Kind of like that old woman that sued McDonald's for burning herself with a hot cup of coffee, even with the warning right on the cup. :rolleyes:

If I were you, I would take it to the Apple Store and see about getting it looked at. They will tell you what you have to do.

hey guys, so remember i went to the apple store and they 'fixed the volume structure'..
the problem kept on going, so i reinstalled OS X..

now..same prob for past week and i havent even installed any 3rd party software on purpose.. only used quicktime and such.

when using quicktime to play movie, CPU goes to 160 % and movie/quicktime freezes.

should i go back again and get a damn new one? :( this is crazy.

Back