This ad really upsets me...

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
I think the ad speaks for itself. To associate the original George W. with the current George W. other than by saying they are both presidents is disrespectful to the original George W. 'nuf said.

disturbing-ad.gif

I don't see what the problem is. I like the history channel, and I think it was a clever way of tying their documentary into today's events.

Hmm... I didn't find the ad too offensive. It looks like they are just using a time line and certainly did not try to equate the two presidents' values... After all, the ad did say the two presidents envision freedom "quite differently". I see the ad as a voice to how different things have become - which doesn't speak too positively about the present president.

Well G Washington wasn't all that smart of a guy, mabey a good general, but definitely not presidential material. Alexander Hamilton did most of the thinking for him.

Wow SimX. i do not find anything wrong with that ad. I think it is kinda funny. I chuckled on the inside when I saw the "original George W". AHAHAH.

Nummi: The point is that the ad thinks that the current George W. has more prerogative to "defend" freedom than other presidents – the term wasn't even used until the current George W. came into power. Plus, the current George W. certainly isn't "fighting" for the same values that the original George W. "fought" for.

I can't help it. Every time I see George W Bush's picture, all I can think of is that "Separated at birth?" photo with George posing next to a chimp...

I can't take him seriously at all. I just start laughing when I see his face. :)

Originally posted by simX
Plus, the current George W. certainly isn't "fighting" for the same values that the original George W. "fought" for.

that is true/ But dubya is one funny man. Have you ever seen him on SNL. he is so funny.

I see nothing offensive with this ad, and it bothers me that people can't take our president seriously. He's really not that bad. I also find it sad that the Anti-Bushers have to resort to lame jokes and ridiculing to prove how "bad" our president is, just so we'll get a democrat for a president next term...

i don't really see anything offensive about this ad. stupid maybe, but not offensive. of course the original george W. wasn't really a guy to be looked up to and modeled after either.

xaq- you're just going to have to be bothered then because he is really hard to take seriously. and he sets himself up for the lame jokes. of course so do democrat presidents.

and as for using jokes to get a democrat elected,:p . if that happens it will be because people wise up, not because of anything funny.

and as for using jokes to get a democrat elected, . if that happens it will be because people wise up, not because of anything funny.

It will be because the jokes make people take the president less and less seriously, until they think he is a complete moron (Some already do) and therefore shouldn't vote for him.

The History Channel gets paid a lot of money if their shows are popular. It's just the media, simX! :p

It will be because the jokes make people take the president less and less seriously, until they think he is a complete moron (Some already do)...

why do you think that is?:D

I had a very bad opinion of George Washington, until I actually read my history book. I heard all of these stories about how he forced people to stand when he entered a room, blah, blah, blah...But then I picked up a few books on him and realized he actually accomplished a lot just by being President.

And, let's not forget what this ad is saying. It's NOT complimenting George Bush, the compliment is going to George Washington.

It reads..."Before Freedom could be defended (reference to George Bush), It had to be Defined (reference to George Washington).

After his first term George Washington didn't want a second term, he was fed up with people like Alexander Hamilton, who couldn't stop bickering with Thomas Jefferson in the newspapers. He was convinced to stay a second term for fear that the country would have fallen apart if he had left. Many scholars today say there was a good chance it might have.

Many of the people in politics of the time turned George Washington bitter to the political office. At the end of this second term, there was talk of making him King! All George Washington had to do was accept the power being given to him and he would have been king George I.

George Washington, was a very important person, and not because he was our first President.... Because he had done something that no one had done in history prior to his existence... he walked AWAY from power!

That alone should make you step back and realize his significance in American History. By leaving office, after his second term, George Washington defined freedom. The act of him leaving was possibly one of his greatest political contributions.

So, no I don't think the ad is offensive at all.:)

did you watch the show dan? :p

there must be something wrong with the ad if it takes that much explaining to make any sense.:D

Originally posted by xaqintosh
I see nothing offensive with this ad, and it bothers me that people can't take our president seriously. He's really not that bad. I also find it sad that the Anti-Bushers have to resort to lame jokes and ridiculing to prove how "bad" our president is, just so we'll get a democrat for a president next term...

I agree 100%. People made fun of Clinton for his appearance, which didn't bother me because I didn't support him. But now that the tables have turned (Clinton out of office, Bush in office), I can't help but see the bottom line:
People will make fun of the big guy in power, reguardless of what he actually does.

Back