What's Your Profession?

Trip

Registered
I was just thinking about my future. And jobs and professions popped right into mind, so I was wondering: do you guys have any jobs/professions? If so what are they?

I'm thinking about going through life as a C++ programmer, but if I want to make it a profession for me then I'll need to learn as much as possible within the next 4 years of my life. (Actually 3 now.)

I am a hero... A protector of... The City! I stop all evildoers in their tracks...
Oh you mean seriously? Probably about the same as you Trip. I too have to learn as mujch as I could in the next few years.
I would actually be pretty much following in my fathers footsteps really.

Well I just graduated from some unknown liberal arts school in Mississippi (Millsaps College if anyone was wondering).

I received a BBA in Business and German, although I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with all those job offers that are pooring in *sarcasm*.

Wish I could work with computers though, so much more fun.

well, i'm still in grad school preparing to become a psychologist. I like talking with people, if you haven't noticed, so i figure it is a natural for me. I think the thing is to choose to do something you would want to do even if no money was involved provided you have some talent for it. Do something you love and do it well and the money will follow provided there is even the slighest demand for what you do.

hey tick you wouldnt happen to be coming from the buzz? :p
I am a full time university student (getting my BA next summer), but I also have a full time job inside the university. Basically my job description says that I manage people, manage resources, take care of software/hardware issues in teh immediate department and some minor tech support. At the moment I am trying to expand a little (unofficially) and take on a few more tasks cause I am a little bored :p

nkuvu: Are you really a software engineer? They get paid quite a bit of money!!! :D

AdmiralAK: Do you get paid? :)

I'd like to be a graphic designer, artist, musician, video editor, or some way to combine all three. I'll probably spend some time fixing people's Macs to make money first, though-- the parents are starting to bug me about getting a job... :)

Computer Science Engineering grad.

Now a computing analyst *and* CS professor for a living (hated the guts o' all professors and have become one).

BTW, I have developed all my java lab stuff on OSX, ready to be deployed on the unsuspecting PC's on the lab! :D :D

dani++

Mac technician - Put a mac in my hands and you'll get it back in good shape.

Also doin' database work to round out my already "jack of all trades" status.

I'm an interactive designer (flash, director etc.) It's not the best field to be in at the moment, but it's pretty cool. I also know quite a bit about print, broadcast and 3D.

Originally posted by Trip
I'm thinking about going through life as a C++ programmer, but if I want to make it a profession for me then I'll need to learn as much as possible within the next 4 years of my life. (Actually 3 now.)

I can't stress enough that you should really not limit yourself to a language or piece of software. Just keep in mind that it's the concepts and philosophy that really matter. I'm not saying "don't learn C++." I'm just saying keep in mind the larger picture. Sorry for being so preachy. It's really not like me.:)

Originally posted by Trip
nkuvu: Are you really a software engineer?
Yes, I really am.
They get paid quite a bit of money!!! :D
Yes, we really do. ;) The tech market is down right now, so it's hard to find a decent paying job. Heck, for a lot of people I know that have graduated recently, it's hard to find any job. But I have a relatively good one, so I'm happy.

I should also point out that I am not doing this for the money. I love problem solving, and I naturally think in a very logical manner. I've always had an easy time with math and science, and have been dabbling with computers since I was ten.

The money is definitely a good perk, don't get me wrong. :) But even if I was paid $18,000 a year I'd still be programming. Honestly, I took a job for a wage that most of my friends thought was ridiculously low. They all live in Seattle, you see, so the living costs are much higher.

Server side Java programmer (J2EE, Weblogic, and the like).

Going back to school for my Masters in IT in a months and a half!!! Gonna be poor for the next two years. WAH!

Trip I get paid :D (with benefits too :p)
I work full time :) (40 hours per week...sometimes more depending on overtimes)

dani++ I despize the guts of some of some my CS professors lol... I hope I never become like them :D there are some cools ones out tehre though :D

what is CSE ? :confused:
My instructor wasnt bad but he was an assistant prof so he had to do the bidding od the bad prof :p In the end he turned out to be a nice guy :p (my prof)...I cant switch majors, I am almoooost done :p

I am a freelance business analyst/Software designer (UML). Occaisionally I get my hands dirty with SQL, perl, html, vb, PHP, whatever really to get the job done. Like nkuvu I really do it because it is fun. I get to talk to people about what they want their computers to do, and I have to deliver that functionality (within budget of course). This means I have to use whatever technology my client has/get can their hands on so I get to see quite a lot.

R.

Back