What's Your Profession?

I'm a computer programmer. At work I write server side java (J2EE stuff) and a bunch of oracle PL/SQL.

In my spare time I'm finishing a comp sci master's degree and I'm writing a genetic algorithm that identifies patterns in the stock market. (More for fun than for profit. It's been done before and it's creators aren't rich :) ).

Anyway, you asked.

Vangaurd

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Mon dieu tismey!1 Tu parles francais et je n'ai pas connu :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :p

J'ai fini ma derniere semestre de la francais cette annee... je suis tres heureux!

This summer, like the summer before it and the one before that, I'm working as an actuarial assistant at GEICO. It's not as math-y a job as I'd like to have - too much icky statistical stuff - but it pays quite well, which is all-important to a college student (time enough to get a job I really like when I'm more qualified to have it) and I can think of worse things to be doing.

Plus I don't really have that much of a choice... I got the job two years ago via my now-ex-girlfriend's mom, who has worked there for quite a while. Now my ex is going back to Minnesota for the summer to find a different job, and I kinda have to stay here; since it's a half-hour drive in, and I don't know how to drive, I still need to ride in with my ex's mom! Fortunately I'm on good terms with her and she thinks very highly of me. Otherwise it might be unbearable!

As if any of you cared. :D

-the valrus

... I love problem solving, and I naturally think in a very logical manner. I've always had an easy time with math and science, ...

Yeah, what he said. :D

I'm also a Software Engineer, working on Unix systems. I've been at it for a long time, and I still like it. It's a good fit for the way my brain works, I guess.

AdmiralAK, I also strongly hoped I would not become like them (in fact, did not think of becoming a professor at all). And one day, ZAP! I enjoy preparing my lab classes on my CUBE, hehehe...

I hope I'm not so bad as some of 'em, though. :)

dani++

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Trip I get paid :D (with benefits too :p)
I work full time :) (40 hours per week...sometimes more depending on overtimes)

dani++ I despize the guts of some of some my CS professors lol... I hope I never become like them :D there are some cools ones out tehre though :D

I have really enjoyed this thread so far. Thank you all for posting.

As you are sharing job descriptions, I will share mine as well. I develop distributed processing architectures for large corporate and government entities. My company does everything from the process and resource analysis/audits to the solution proposal, bidding, test harness, etc. I participate in the analysis side as well as the development/deployment side when we are actually awarded a project. I rather enjoy the work. Like many of you, I have have been blessed with the ability to detect relationships between and patterns in processes. I then define methods for isolating the processes as individual computational entities and then tie the system together using autonomous distributed agents.

I have really enjoyed using NeXTStep/OpenStep and now Cocoa as my development API of choice in this field. I am quite excited to purchase a few XServe boxes for development in the next few months. I have a client who is considering selling their Compaq ProLiant boxes and replacing them with XServe racks for their entire infrastructure. Go OSX!

I just finished my PHD.For the next half year i will be doing ...holidays...as i have been studying since i was 18 and i am sick and tired of studying and reading books. After the holiday period i will be going to the Grrrreeekkk army for roughly one year and then we will see...i had been working for Hewlett Packard so i suppose they will want me to work for them full time...but i will have to think about it as i would prefer to do something of my own. The main problem is that in Greece with a PHD first job i will be getting roughly 800 euros per month(i mean how s***t is that)!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

carpentry, i build things, paint, clean, ect. its a summer thing i make 6 bucks a hour. its good money i guess and 30 dollars a day is prety good. come to me raedeon 8500!

Originally posted by Zenzefiloan
I just finished my PHD.For the next half year i will be doing ...holidays...as i have been studying since i was 18 and i am sick and tired of studying and reading books. After the holiday period i will be going to the Grrrreeekkk army for roughly one year and then we will see...i had been working for Hewlett Packard so i suppose they will want me to work for them full time...but i will have to think about it as i would prefer to do something of my own. The main problem is that in Greece with a PHD first job i will be getting roughly 800 euros per month(i mean how s***t is that)!!!!!

(irema filaraki :D )
I feel your pain, my X and I had BIG arguments about what we would do after we graduated. Of course she had not even started univesity back then :p --- I told her I did NOT want to return to greece because they would pay me squat :p -- I could make much more money here, or anywhere else in europe for that matter :p -- she did not listen to me :p --- now that we broke apart and she is actually in a british univesity in london she says she doesnt want to go back either unless things change hehehe :p

My friends want me to return to greece but if I cant make a good or at least comparable living, then why go back :p ????

Na ypotheso oti eisai sthn Germania.

Ego apo thn allh thelo na gyriso piso. Den goystaro na meino edo Aglia alla oyte kai na pao Amerikh h' Gallia poy moy exoy prosferei doyleies. Apla eimai edo Aglia polla xronia se ena meros kai moy thn exei baresei. thelo na pao piso na pao strato kai meta blepoyme elpizo na bro kati kalo kato alla poios xerei? esy exeis spoydasei exoteriko,ellada h' kateythian soyleia.

Yiannis

Den se katigoro gianni :)
I agglia einai mouxla, kata tin apopsi mou :p
Ameriki meno, sigkekrimena bostoni. Kapos ksenerota, alla uparxoun POLLES efkeries. Molis eklisa ta 21,, kai exo akoma ena xrono mexri na paro to ptixio, alla brika idi gamati douleia, pou pistebo oti atoma stin ilikia mou stin ellada oute kan onirebonte tetia douleia :) --- kai o misthos mou pistebo einai parapano ap oti bgazoun kapii megaliteroi mou. To xrima omos den einai to pan. Eksartate apo to pos pane ta pragmata stin ellada ston tomea tis pliroforikis kai ton ksenon glosson ;)

Alithia ti spoudases ?

Apostolis

PS:--> babelfish wont be able to translate, so here is a small synopsis: I live in boston, not germany, and the US is indeed tha land of opportunity since for my age group (and in terms of a diploma) I have landed a great job, with a pay that people in my age group in greece wouldnt even dream of (if college students worked in greece that is :p) My moving to greece in the future depends on how the demand for computer scientists pan out in greece, and how much demand for foreign language conneseurs is in greece. -- after all money isnt everything :p

I started of in Imperial College London and i did Electrical Elctronic Eng in Information Systems there.

Then i went to Cardiff University and i did an MEng on Computer Systems Eng which deals mainly with VLSI design etc.

Then I did a MBA in Cardiff again

And for the last 2 years i was offered a postgraduate placement in Cardiff for a project they had dealing with virtual reality and the web(it will take me 5 pages to explain exactly what it deals with so i leave it there)

H xadelfh moy htan Bostonh spoydaze gia na ginei vet kai teleiose persi apo oti katalaba kala pernage alla psilobareta kai ligo roytina.

Esy ti akribos spoydazeis? Ellada apo poy eisai? ego Peiraia.

Yiannis

Very interesting :D
Virtual reality is not offered in my university, Artificial intelligence is though :) -- seems quite interesting :) -- One of my friends from Thesaloniki (studying here) was doing computer engineering (dealing with hardware).

I am studying computer science. Next year I am finishing my Batchellors. I am also studying foreign languages (its a hobby for me). I was considering getting a Masters (or maybe even a PhD) in computer science, but after having a bad semester and dealing with some bad professors here, I am a littl discouraged :p --- on the other hand when I take a look at the courses, 90% of them seem like stuff that would interest me. I think I will take a small detour first and get an MBA, then maybe go for a masters in CS (gives me more time "in school" to learn more languages he he)

Ston pirea meni mia fili mou :p -- opote erxome ellada kathome ekei kamia ebdomada toulaxiston :). Ego megalosa stin amaliada (Nomo ilias) alla o papous mou (tis manas mou o pateras) einai apo Kalabrita, kai o pateras mou einai apo ena xorio ekso apo tin patra pou legete leontio.

I bostoni einai kapos bareti, ksenera, kai to lene poloi ellines pou ksero edo. Oloi mas perimenoume na pame ellada to kalokairi na anapsoun ligo ta aimata mpas kai to diaskedasoume ligo :p

I ksaderfi sou akoma edo i girise piso ?

Admiral

I saw this thread pop up again, since my status has changed I suppose I'll give an update.

I'm now officially (and finally) a biology major .. specifically ecobiology.

Yep.

Back