Xbox or ps2???

THEMACER

Registered
I really have no clue which one to buy. I have enough for both, the only prob is i really like grand tourismo, so im leaning towards ps2. Is there any comparable racing game to GT3 for xbox? Which system do you own and why??? Thanks

Go on a shopping site or to the store and compare games. That's the bottom line: if a game you like is on the PS2, then get a PS2. Really, the only thing keeping the Xbox afloat is Halo.

Actually, without any isult meant, I'd like to add a slightly less biased view.

The xbox, despite it's microsoft ownership, is actually a very good product. Yes, HALO was the flagship game for it when it was released, but since then there have been many great titles come out. Project Gotham Racing was one of the first racing games, and is quite entertaining, and over time more and more games will become available to XBOX owners. But for me, it's the little things that make it presently a better buy.
You can save games without needing to buy endless memory cards, and listen to music of YOUR choice in most games, from the Hard Drive.
The controller, while almost certainly copied from previous console controller designs, is much easier to use than that of the PS2. And if you don't like the size, get a Controller-S, which is simmilar to the smaller sized controller introduced in Japan..
Multiplayer play with more than one XBOX is SWEET. Get a switch/hub, get 3 mate's with XBOXes, some cheap CAT5 cables, 4 copies of HALO (over here its only recently you could even buy an xbox without halo) and you have an instant evening/day/night/weekend/month of fun.
I dont know how many of Tom Clancy's games are available on PS2, but the shear difference in release/development times means the XBOX has the upper-hand as far as hardware goes, and GhostRecon/Splinter Cell are a joy just to watch. As with Windows/Mac i don't think its a case of "is that game available" any more with consoles ( except with maybe some very obscure games) it's more a case of, what your friends have (seems to influence buying a lot), what has the best graphics/sound/etc, and what you can get the best deal on..

ps2 has a built in dvd player, xbox you have to purchase.
Sony is more trusted with electronics, Microsoft is better with software, meaning get ps2.
PS2 looks cooler too!
It also has a more confortable controller.

Pengu, that doesn't sound unbiased to me.

If the Xbox has the games you want, get it. If the PS2 has the games you want, get it instead. If both have games you want and you can afford to, get both and have the best of both worlds.

arden, I was actually referring to your comment: "The only thing keeping xbox alive is Halo"...

And androo..

As for looks, that can be debated all day. The controller issue. I suspect you would probably find the Sony controller more comfortable, because unless im mistaken, you are a young teenager and have smaller hands than an adult, hence a smaller controller is more comfortable. As for the dvd player, yes, you have to buy a DVD Remote to watch dvd's with an xbox, but most places (here in aus. at least) offer deals with an xbox, dvd remote, and a couple of games for a reduced price...

As for the electronics/software argument.

It actually works AGAINST my argument for the xbox, but I wouldnt consider Microsofts effors with software "better", even in relation to sony..

That said, supposedly the xbox works on a stipped down Windows 2000 Kernel (with mods for console purposes obviously)

Also. It suprised me when i found out, But microsoft supplied the OS for a previous game system.. and now i cant remember which one it was. Dreamcast.. or maybe one of the later nintento incarnations.. anyways. They pulled support when the xbox came to life..

xbox xbox xbox!!!

i love it - between the LIVE (online play) and the games available, it's not even a decision. it's just sweet - and having a hard drive to save all your game data on is nice too.

just my $.02

Here's a thought.

If you don't own a playstation 1, stop thinking right now, go buy a ps2, and pick up a bunch of classics at insanely low prices.

If you do, well then, consider this. It's mostly true as far as games go.

PS2 has the most games.
X-Box has the best looking games.
Gamecube has the best games.

Think of what you'll be using your game console for before you buy.

from what i have noticed,
PS2- a lot of RPGs
XBox- good online games
Game Cube- the clasic nintendo favorite good games (LOZ:WW, super smash brothers, etc.)

Okay, maybe it's just me. I tried to play that James Bond game, and I simply could not get the hang of it. At least in Halo I get to change my control settings.

The gamecube may be comfortable, but it is seriously lacking... for instance, no two analog sticks (don't even try to argue that the C button is an analog stick... that thing is a joke). The Playstation 2 and Xbox controllers (the S-type anyway) are just fine though.

Here are some of the high profile games for the Xbox:
Halo
Unreal (not on PS2)
Medal of Honor
Splinter Cell (better than PS2 overall IMHO)
Metal Gear Solid Substance (same as PS2 version IMHO)
Soul Caliber 2 (claimed by EGM mag to be best version... haven't played it myself though)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Here are some of the high profile game for the PS2:
Grand Theft Auto 3 & VC(exclusive on the PS2)
Splinter Cell (not as good as Xbox, but has an extra level)
Soul Caliber 2
Madden NFL
SOCOM (awesome online game)
The Getaway
Final Fantasy series (pretty much exclusive to PS 2)

Onine gaming is more enjoyable with the Xbox in my opinion (more integration, easier finding friends, everyone broadband [that could be a bad thing actually])... but it is VERY expensive when compared to the PS2. The PS2 has less integration, but is considerably less expensive. It also claims one of the finer online games, SOCOM: Navy Seals.

Also, if you like modding your systems (which I doubt), get the Xbox. Since it has an internal HD (you may want to get a larger one put in... 60 GB?), people have hella hacked it and put OS's (Linux I believe) on it. More of a novelty in my opinion though (and kinda risky since it voids your warranty). Unfortunately, most mod it for warez purposes (I won't go into that here, but I think you can figure it out).

Okay, I think I kinda rambled. Sorry if this didn't help... I would put more detail in, and make this more understandable and to the point, but I got to go to work.

How is everyone having broadband bad?

I'd guess the Xbox will tend to have better graphics than the same games on PS2 because the Xbox has a better graphics processor.

And don't tell me the Xbox would have taken off as well as is has if Microsoft hadn't released Halo for it. That's the only reason I pay the Xbox any attention at all.

I own an Xbox for pretty much one reason and one reason only:

HALOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I also use it as an enterainment hub for my home theater. I put a mod chip in and a bigger hard drive, and now I can stream videos from m,y computer to my xbox and watch them on my tv. Also when the xbox is killed my M$ I have a nice linux server. I can watch dvds, play games, stream video and music, its very cool - and all without M$ software.

:)

I have a GameCube at home and I love it. :) I did have to send my first one in because the reader died, but it was still under warrantee. The second one hasn't had one bug.

I want a PS2 for Grand Theft Auto 3, but that's coming to GCN very soon. :D

Arden,
The reason I say everyone having broadband is bad is because, while it is becoming alot more common (and better to use), a lot of people I know (and people I don't) still cannot afford it... it would be nice to at least have the option of dial-up. I believe it is still too early to just claim dial-up is obsolete and alienate it's users... but I guess that is what you must do to advance technology.

And yes, I do acknowledge that the Xbox would (probably... this is arguable) not have taken off without Bungie's Halo... but what is so bad about that? Is it really that weird to have stellar launch titles?

MACER,
Is racing your only favorite gaming genre? What others do you like? If racing is your absolute favorite, I would highly recommend the PS2. The Xbox does have racing games, but none as deep as GT (again, in my opinion).

Gran Turismo is awesome, high learning curve (at least for me), but the real reason i love my PS/2 is the Grand Theft Auto Vice City, it is amazingly fun and addictive, plus the music that comes with it makes it that much better

Back