10.2.3 is actually slower?

martijnvandijk

Registered
Although I feel there are some speed improvements in 10.2.3 for certain apps (iDisk access, iCal, maybe Mail),I have a general feeling that it is slower then 10.2.2. I haven't seen as much of the spinning wheel as I have since I updated. Anyone else with the same experience?

So far at least I can't say that I notice any difference at all on my machine speedwise, except for my genie effect is much smoother now.

For my Blue and White G3 at 500 Megahurts, things actually sped up a bit: application launching, iTunes visuals now run at 35 - 36 frames/sec; they used run at 30 - 33 frames/sec. Not much of an increase, but higher none the less.

I've seen speed increases as well on my Ti... and especially on my B&W G3 Tower. But overall OSX is still toooooo slooooooow... my OS9 counterparts are zipping though appz and docs while I time-delay a window resize. I only catch up when they crash. :)

Haven't noticed any improvement in speed on my Tibook 667 DVI. In general, this update although 50 MB big doesn not clearly solve any problems. Pretty big just for changing button graphics, don't you think?

G

I have a Gig of RAM also, but the machine felt smoother and less sticky when it was running 10.2.2 in 768MB.

Chimera has hung three time since I upgraded.

Originally posted by evildan
my OS9 counterparts are zipping though appz and docs while I time-delay a window resize. I only catch up when they crash. :)

I hear that bigtime. My 400MHz G4 with OS9 is about 125% faster then my dual 1GHz G4 w/ OSX as far as any type of folder/window navigation around the system. Yet, defying all known logic, Apple calles this is an "improvement" and heralds in the change with glee.

Following Apple's new logic, the obvious next evolution in their ultra-advanced operating system will be very very simple; it will be a no-button mouse, and a keyboard with black keys AND black letters.

But the great leader says OS X is an improvement...

Down the memory hole with OS9.

"Daddy, was life really better with OS9?"
"What's OS9? Apple said it never existed."

-slight allusion to Animal Farm...and other works of Orewell...

Looks like everybody's experience varies, I did a clean install of OS X 10.2.2 a few days before updating to 10.2.3. I noticed a much faster 'zoom' in opening and closing finder windows, better use of letter shortcuts to locate files in a open file list, faster printing reponse. 10.2.2 was giving me the 'loser lollipop' quite often in various apps, I no longer see that at all. I also now have the fastest boot up ever, to OSX on my system, (I've kept track since OSX PB) This last 'small' update gave me the largest apparent change in operating speed since 10.1 Not everything is perfect, I got a 'please restart your system' window, which seems to be the equivalent to a kernel crash or whatever. I probably don't work my system as hard as some do, I haven't had a lot of problems since 10.1. Now that operation has significant improved, even using classic isn't much of a chore (I'm still using MS Word 98, waiting for that to stop woprking with some future update of 10---so far, so good!) comment - Seems to me that a basically crashless (some will argue this) system, more than balances out a slightly faster user experience. face it, OSX draws your windows very differently than OS9, Is that the only way to compare the 2 systems? I would say, no! The crack about the no-button mouse? The pro mouse has no visible buttons already. I prefer a 2-button with scroll wheel, which is not yet perfect, but not everyone needs those functions.

If you're seeing the spinning rainbow a lot and you have plenty of RAM (at least 512MB) and a fast enough machine (G3>=500 G4>=450) then your issue might be funky background processes, like third-party add-ons. Updating to the latest versions of all your applications and add-ons can be helpful.

Other things that can help:

- Fix Permissions in Disk Utility
- Do a clean install of the OS

Spinning rainbow pretty much stopped after updating to 10.2.3,Like I say, I was seeing that a lot with 10.2.2 (after a complete format and reload everything fresh at 10.2.2), upgrade to 10.2.3 helped a lot, Not everyone can update major apps at the drop of a hat, so you do with what you have. system is Imac 500 with 1Gb ram. Actually, my last post was just an attempt to get some people past trying to compare finder speed between OS9 and 10, They do things so differently, that I don't consider apparent finder speed a valid complaint.....:)

Yikes, people are still comparing OS 9 to OS X. Tsk tsk tsk. Might as well be comparing the interface on your VCR to the interface on your microwave.

Orewell...
Orwell :)
I love this one. His war broadcasts are even better !

Yikes, people are still comparing OS 9 to OS X. Tsk tsk tsk. Might as well be comparing the interface on your VCR to the interface on your microwave.
True. However, the microwave goes faster :).
I also feel 10.2.3 is slightly slower. Slightly, which means I won't realize it in a few weeks. iPulse doesn't show more pageins/outs. Maybe it's some security thing, or whatever 50 more Megs can do to the system.

Question: total size of OSX on a clean HD = ?
I have 20G. In theory. In practice, that's 19.1G I think. Now, 19.1G-OSX = ?

I think to have noticed that the iTunes visuals run slower since my upgrade to 10.2.3 --- but other than that things are just as slow as they were before :)

C

Doing a complete prebinding update always helps after a major system update, since the 'system optimisation' running after an update only updates the changed files, not all the links that apps may use to link to those files. Also good if you install a number of new programs.

When you compare speed, please state your CPU, clock frequency and memory size so that we can compare.

Thanks.

Back