10.3.2 released

Originally Posted by EdX
btw - don't forget to repair permissions before and after you update. running disk repair might not be a bad idea either. always make sure you're in good working order before you install

hehe, I haven't done any of that and *never* have run into any update problems (except that 1 time when I updated jaguar and had the beach ball app installed... that was a nightmare...)

Hmm, think I missed that download on Versiontracker! :)

Anyway, has updated just find n' randy for me... Read EdX's suggestion halfway through downloading, then noticed a pause button on Software Update. Paused the download, repaired permission, then carried on where it left off. Nice.

I think the slowdown in bootup people are experiencing is caused by the fsck thing running and the journal being updated after a major change in the system (the 10.3.2 update). I'm sure subsequent bootups will not be nearly as long.

I did notice an unusually long optimization time on this update, though... almost 12 minutes long! I guess a LOT of stuff was updated with this update.

Nope, ElDiabloConCaca, I've been using 7D24 for a few days and the other builds before. There _is_ a change in boot-behaviour and it definitely takes longer.

What I hate in the updates, is that it installls the updated versions of everything in every language.

E.g. I had Jaguar only in English, Italian (and sometimes spanish). After basically EVERY update, opening the softwares contents, I found the language packs for all the languages. I see NO REASON why there is no such thing as "English only-updates" available. If I don't speak korean or norweghese, I will never use my mac in those languages either. Thus I don't want ANY langprojs in my mac in other than the languages I have chosen.

I admit, I do open many programs manually (the contents) and remove the useless stuff from them.

Havign the option for "english only-updates" would save apple a lot of bandwidth (= money). I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd get those updates if they were available. Of some programs you can reduce the size by 20 - 70 % if you have one language only.

Hmmm... that's strange, after subsequent restarts, I'm back to a speedy startup. It just took a little longer the first restart after applying the update. I know for a fact that if I install new applications or make changes to a lot of files that startup slows a little, and I'm assuming that's from the auto fsck or journal update.

I'd like to know when exactly the fsck and journal update occurrs. I have the feeling and am pretty sure that the fsck runs when the grey Apple logo and spinning thing is displayed early in the startup. I have a feeling that the journal gets updated when you log in, since after making changes to files on my startup drive (like applying an update) when I log in, I can hear the hard drive grinding away for a few moments before my desktop pops up. It doesn't do that unless I apply an update or do something that would affect the journal on the drive.

Everything affects the journal on the drive, really. Everything that writes to the disk, that is. Even saving a file in TextEdit.

Afer installing 10.3.2 my laptop (PowerBook G4 500) won't boot. If I try booting in verbose mode, it says that th window server can't be initiated! any ideas?

-JARinteractive

Try running a Disk Repair from the OS X install CD.

Did you let the update run through the entire process -- optimization and everything?

Yeah, doing permissions repair found a LOT of problems on mine as well, though I haven't done a repair since installing OS X.

I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before, but I'm still confused...

What happens to cause "permissions" to get broken in the first place? And how does OS X know what they *should* be? If the permissions are actually getting changed/corrupted from what they should be, this sounds like a MAJOR problem for OS X, (what if the wrong file gets changed? Suddenly I can't run Finder.app because I no longer have permissions?), and I'm confused how this could possibly *still* be a problem in 10.3.

Any insights?

Anyone have any more details on what's new in 10.3.2 than what's in the update support article?

Specifically I'm curious about the SMB/CIFS updates. The only thing the support article says is:

Improves results when looking for SMB-based servers in the Network view.

All the same (stupid!) problems that I knew of before seem to still be there. Like:

• "Browsing" a very large workgroup or domain will only display the first 2358 or so systems (at work one domain I need to access systems on has 4000!)
  • The "Add to Keychain" option allows you to save credential information when connecting to a system, but OS X never uses that information! Basically you can't remember passwords when connecting to systems, even though the option is there.
  • You still have to access some undocumented screen if you want ANY sort of options while adding networked printers
  • When trying to connect to a printer on an OS X system from a Windows one (or a Unix one, for that matter), OS X attempts to make a CIFS connection BACK to the Windows PC. This is bad news for anyone running a personal firewall on their PC or connecting through a firewall (or NAT, like you probably would if you were a dialup or VPN user) to an OS X system...
  • Connect to Server dialog still stinks
  • Still no way to share a particular drive or directory without hacking configuration files (and restarting daemons) or using kludgy add-on software to do the same
  • Many, many bugs in the SMB client and server (not understanding management calls, freaking out if it gets an answer it doesn't expect, etc)
  • At least it still doesn't have that "hang the finder for 2 minutes" problem if a network-shared drive disappears, like 10.2 had...

Ugh.

I had a weird problem when trying to install the update. I got this message...

http://www.urbansory.com/macosx/updateProb.jpg

So i checked my permission, and it found nothing, but i checked my permissions before i ran any updates, two were corrected. So after i checked my permissions again, i ran SU and REDOWNLOADED the update AGAIN, and i got the same message. So i decided to restart, then again downloaded the update for a 3rd time, and this time it took.

The reboot didn't seem all that long, maybe a good 3 seconds longer than normal. But i did notice for the first time that the finder slides down, not sure how i missed that little detail.

Another great update so far.

Urbansory said:
But i did notice for the first time that the finder slides down, not sure how i missed that little detail.
What do you mean, like the dialog sheets? I've set Path Finder as my Finder, so I doubt I'll be seeing this.

cq107 said:
hehe, I haven't done any of that and *never* have run into any update problems...
Yeah... but that's like saying I've driven drunk lots of times and never been arested or crashed.

That does not make it an advisable thing to do again in the future.

Slows down the boot on my iMac G4.
No problems on my B&W G3.

The G3 now starts faster than the G4 !

Everything's fine here on my iMac G4. No permissions out of whack and all programs working flawlessly. Even boot time hasn't changed, albeit maybe 1 second slower but no more. The graphics drivers are a huge improvement, but still not as good as those in Jaguar. Still some more work to do.

Back