10.3.3 exceeds expectations...

andychrist

devil's plaything
Any idea when they will be released? I'd be thrilled with a minimum font size control that really worked-- a lot of utilities offer that feature now but even the developers admit they can't overcome current short-comings of Safari in Panther.
ThankX for this encouraging bit of news!

More news:

10.3.3 and Safari 1.2 receive ever-increasing kudos. The gamers have reported in and the thumbs are overwhelmingly pointing skyward. Apple has revamped both the 2D (Quartz) and 3D (Quartz Extreme, OpenGL) graphics engines in 10.3.3, with a particular focus on game-related OpenGL functions.

Frame rates are up, and the OS X gamers lucky enough to get their hands on a developer seed are smiling. It will most likely be a few (2-3) weeks the rest of us get to don this particular grin.

Safari 1.2's performance is said to seem even greater than it really is, when measured by stopwatch. Downloads are markedly faster when pushing high bitrates (3Mbps+), and the Resume feature smoothly solves what had been a frequent gripe of even die-hard Safari lovers. Highly complex pages with lots of graphics -- notably those that employ Apache's gzip compression feature -- load in what dozens of readers have described as "half the time."

We'll see if the gaming part will be as good as pretended. This has always been a disappointment, so I hope this time they have done it correctly.

The Resume feature of Safari is really a needed one !

chevy said:

The feature I like most -- and I'd like to think my feedback to Apple helped this one into this update -- is the option to have a clicked link in an application launch in a new tab in an existing window...

chevy said:

it is a really good feature. and i was really happy to read that safari1.2 has it.
but i see myself not really using it having a 10mbit connection. everythin really downloads in less than a minute!

soulseek said:
it is a really good feature. and i was really happy to read that safari1.2 has it.
but i see myself not really using it having a 10mbit connection. everythin really downloads in less than a minute!

Sure, sure.

Of course, I'd be surprised if most sites, particularly during peak times, are allocating 10Mbps stream to you.

Also, I'm assuming you haven't been downloading any large images lately - SUSE 9.0 would take something like 30 minutes at 10Mbps...

10.3.3 isn't too bad, although I don't have a machine capable of testing the 3D capabilities out on. Things pretty much plod along like normal, although large windows like a full-size Safari window can be dragged a little faster than I am used to on a 333 Lombard. I am unimpressed, personally, but YMMV.

lnoelstorr said:
Anyone know if the new Safari has caching options?

That's a good point.

I often find myself floating around the preferences looking for the: 'check pages every time' option[duh!]

Knowing Apple, they may well move an option like that into the Network pane in System Preferences...

Safari already has some caching options/controls in the (hidden) Debug menu: you can enable it with:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
Quit and relaunch, you should see the menu right after Help, go to Show Caches Window, there you can empty caches manually or disable the WebCore cache.

Cheers for the cache tips guys. I've currently disabled the cache by replacing the cache directory with another file. It'd be nice to do it another way though.

Still a few wrinkles left to be ironed out:

More 10.3.3/Safari 1.2 seed details: Although we've heard very little about any problems with the new builds, friends in Cupertino report that the company's bug reporting servers are abuzz with several issues affecting a small number of users but can be fairly serious, including data corruption on many USB storage devices, Date and Time may repeatedly default to the PST time zone despite being set to another zone, and 3D games/applications will crash badly on startup for some testers with nVIDIA graphics cards -- particularly the GeForce 4MX.

However for most, the system update is noticeably snappier, games can be quite significantly faster, bugs or other errors are negligible, and Safari 1.2 is a dream. After adjusting to its new link-tabbing feature, testers almost universally report wondering how they ever lived without it. More reports over the week ahead; if no more show-stopper bugs are found, Apple could wrap up development in as little as 10 days rather than the 14-20 otherwise predicted!

Satcomer said:
Networking? Will anybody report if Apple has fixed networking in 10.3.3? Please report :(

Err… uh… Could you be more specific?

i.e.:
Windows interoperability?
FTP via Finder?
Browsing the network via the "Network" item in the Finder?

Because "Networking", as it were, in Mac OS X has worked fine for me from day one…

Maybe he meant networking as in "can't find any friends in good positions..."? ;-) Networking's as fine (or better) as in 10.3.2 so far for me.

cybergoober said:
Err… uh… Could you be more specific?

i.e.:
Windows interoperability?
FTP via Finder?
Browsing the network via the "Network" item in the Finder?

Because "Networking", as it were, in Mac OS X has worked fine for me from day one…
Say that you are in a huge (a company or university) mixed network. Now, You want to find all the different servers (NT, 2000, Mac, Sun, Linux) in the network. Now, you know they are there and open to download & upload. Now, the Finder Network window button does find these networks (all which have the same group of user profiles & passwords - provided to users) but try to exchange these files. Find that IP without memorizing ALL the IP's or machine names! Jaguar found these machines effortless then you could mount any chosen (and auto found) sever. Panther does not do that! With hundreds of severs one will have to have a master list of all IP's or machine specific domain names.

The Finder network window button only lets a user browse. It also does not list the ip or domain name (unless it is another Mac). Jaguar's networking was almost legendary. Apple took a step backward in networking (on large scale) in Panther as compared to Jaguar. Take a look at this page and tell me if you find networking ( in large networks, not the home 3 to 5 computer network) better.

Also, there are serious "problems" with Internet Sharing in Panther! In many cases where a router (+hub and/or switch perhaps) while running Jaguar it could share the Internet to ANY other Mac (running anything from OS 9.x.x to OS X.x.x) and of course Windows, Linux, etc. without breaking sweat, under Panther this Internet Sharing can be from not a simple task to, simply, a cannot do one! :mad:

All this, while running the same clients and having the same hardware as the Jaguar host. The only thing that changes is the host which "updates" to Panther... If you revert the host back to Jaguar the Internet shares just fine!

Under this Panther "problem" all other network connections/shares (wired+wireless) work just fine except the Internet Sharing which is a no go! :confused:

This of course, happened to me as well as to some of our clients :mad:

Last, this happens even with all the current updates of Panther installed!

Satcomer said:
Say that you are in a huge (a company or university) mixed network. Now, You want to find all the different servers (NT, 2000, Mac, Sun, Linux) in the network. Now, you know they are there and open to download & upload. Now, the Finder Network window button does find these networks (all which have the same group of user profiles & passwords - provided to users) but try to exchange these files. Find that IP without memorizing ALL the IP's or machine names! Jaguar found these machines effortless then you could mount any chosen (and auto found) sever. Panther does not do that! With hundreds of severs one will have to have a master list of all IP's or machine specific domain names.

The Finder network window button only lets a user browse. It also does not list the ip or domain name (unless it is another Mac). Jaguar's networking was almost legendary. Apple took a step backward in networking (on large scale) in Panther as compared to Jaguar. Take a look at this page and tell me if you find networking ( in large networks, not the home 3 to 5 computer network) better.

WOW.
OK.
I wasn't doubting you. Just wasn't sure what you meant by the extremely vague, "Is networking fixed?" query.
I never said there wasn't anything wrong with Panther's networking. Nor did I say it was better. Just was wondering what aspect(s) you were having issues with.

Let's say I'm in a huge mixed network (which I am BTW - though I'm not sure what you would consider huge, we're about 10,000 or so machines). I am able to browse -and- connect to these other machines -as well as- move files back and forth, given I have the proper permissions, via the Finder Network item.

I suppose this has more to do with how our network is configured.
All the hosts on our network have an IP address that is tied to a hostname. All the hosts have their machine names set to the DNS hostname assigned to the machine. So even if you couldn't connect through the Network item in the Finder, you would be able to connect via other means because the name you see via Finder is the actual DNS hostname of the machine, rather than some meaningless made-up name.

So, yes. For me networking in Panther has improved over Jaguar.

Guess I'm fortunate that our network is setup so strictly

Hope Apple gets this straightened out for the others…

Back