10.3.3 exceeds expectations...

woops, sorry. :) why the heck doesn't that auto-update? ;-) ... well, i just had installed the updater and rebooted, so i guess there's an excuse. no obvious bugs in this build so far.

The IBM story is really interesting, especially the comment about "keeping Intel out of the Apple G5". We should probably start another thread, but was Apple really that close to going Intel??

Is there any difference in network browsing in 10.3.3? That's the one thing in Panther that's been annoying me, accessing windows machines still requires the connect to server dialog in practice.

This apple support article, by the way, describes the problem I still have with 10.3.2 on each of my machines. The fact that it has been around for so long, is such an obviously broken component and still hasn't been fixed it partly what really irks me.

I can't imagine why it'd be any different when connecting to Linux machines, unless you're connecting via NFS or something - or perhaps you use the same user/password on the Linux Samba system as on your OS X system, so the NTLM credentials passed work on the remote system without having to create a Keychain key... (Or maybe you just have guest access turned on on the Linux servers)

I've been reading about 10.3.3, but there seems to be quite a few unseeded versions, 7F24, 7F32, now 7F34. Anyone know if this is the release version?

Thx
Dean

(Threads were merged, so the above link takes you actually here now.)

Okay, reviving the thread, so we can discuss 10.3.3 here again instead of that other thread about this thread not being available. ;-)

7F38 is the latest build so far, and no 10.3.3 build has been released to the public, only to ADC Select and Premier members.

cybergoober said:
Err… uh… Could you be more specific?

i.e.:
Windows interoperability?
FTP via Finder?
Browsing the network via the "Network" item in the Finder?

Because "Networking", as it were, in Mac OS X has worked fine for me from day one…

Then you are one of the few ...

Seems like. I hear from a lot of people with problems in the networking area with Panther. However, I just can't confirm any real issues. Some miss browsing from Cmd-K (it's back in 10.3.3 but basically just opens a Finder window at /Network..., which really _should_ offer the same things...), which I never quite understood.

However, I understand that if so many people complain that there must be a problem, whether I can see it or not...

Jeferz said:
Then you are one of the few ...

But what exactly are you referring to?

"Networking" is a very broad, general term to use when the problems seem to be in certain explicit areas. For all I know, you're having problems configuring WEP with your Mac's AirPort card and a Linksys wireless router, thus "Networking" is "broken" for you.

For what I do in my day-to-day routine:
-Web browsing, email, IM, ftp, mounting AFP-SMB-WebDAV shares, Remote Desktop, remote server administration etc…-
"Networking" for me is, and has been, ROCK-solid from day one.
Again, I think my lack of problems has more to do with how the network I'm on is configured/maintained. I'm not denying there are problems. Just that I'm not seeing them.

If you want to know if something in particular has been addressed, you need to ask something a little more descriptive than "Is networking fixed?" Give an example and the steps you take when you run into problems and someone may be able to try this and report back. Otherwise, you might as well ask if the dude that coded the Finder ftp drinks Mountain Dew or Mr. Pibb.

I've found that the majority of "networking" problems that people complain about have revolved around SMB share browsing, connection, etc.

See my link to the Apple article for example of the one that bugs me the most.
Some others:
- When making a connection from a windows machine to OS X 10.3.2 to print, for some reason OS X attempts to make a CIFS connection BACK to the Windows machine. If it is unable to for some reason (like I have firewall software running on my machine, which is required if I'm VPNed into work - I *can't* shut it off), OS X simply doesn't respond to the printing request. Eventually (45 seconds later) Windows times out and tries again. User simply sees a hung printer dialog box. This doesn't happen when connecting to other Windows machines.
- The browser is spotty in finding machines in Workgroup, NT4 domain, and AD domain environments. For some people this is worse than others. I have about a 50% success rate in "finding" machines in my workgroup at home.
- The browser used when selecting printers will not display more than a few hundred machines. In my case that means I can't select my print server at work since OS X only displays up through systems starting with the letter D, and my print server starts with the letter S
- Performance while copying (if OS X is a client) is extremely slow, at least for me. For some reason OS X throws in 50ms pauses 10-15 times a second, meaning 50-75% of time is simply spent "idle" for no good reason. This happens on two machines of mine, probably the third too.
- I constantly get "the share you're connected to is unavailable. Do you want to disconnect?" (or whatever it is) dialog. I've looked at the network traffic while this is happening, there's NO reason for OS X to think the share's unavailable.
- Others, but I think you get the point =)

I would really appreciate it if there were improved security features for Safari. There are several websites that my wife needs to use on a regular basis, and I am just about to set up a PC so she can access them. Not even IE for Mac will work.

I am eager to see if the new build of Safari and 10.3.3 will help with some of these issues.

Back