10.3.3 exceeds expectations...

fryke said:
Okay... If it's really bothering you that this doesn't work as intended, please create a thread about it in 'System & Software'.

Fryke, I know you probably mean well in your own inimitable way, but I'm not all that concerned about it. Certainly not to the extent that I'd want to create a new thread about it.

It didn't bother me until you guys started badgering me about it .. then it bothered me!

I thought I was doing it wrong, but whatever I tried did the same stupid thing. In the end, I just gave up.

It's no big deal for me. Like I said, I hardly ever use the Finder to .. well, find stuff!

Let it go .. please! :)

(that was my intention, octane.)

Back on topic: Mac OS X 10.3.3 7F34 feels finished to me. Didn't find any bugs since I'm running it. And the small ones I've had with 7F32 appear to be fixed. Or I just haven't met them anymore. Looking forward to the release now...

Couldn't really say. I think we could see another Saturday night developer seed which would take testing well into next week - or just a release of 7F34 early next week. But that's just guessing, really.

Hardly ever use the Finder to find stuff!!!! Aghhh! (Charlie Brown style yell). Inline Finder search is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So, if 10.3.3 feels finished now, does that mean we won't see 10.3.4? :rolleyes:

Octane: If you find yourself searching for content more than structure (data in files more than the files themselves), then check out BBEdit Lite and it's amazing search functions. They've helped me quite a bit while working on a certain forum-based website with something like 10 different themes installed.

Arden said:
Octane: If you find yourself searching for content more than structure (data in files more than the files themselves), then check out BBEdit Lite and it's amazing search functions...

Way ahead of you there, fella!

been using it for quite a while, now.

Without wanting to sound too pompous, with the way I have my computer set up, plus a bloody good memory, I don't search for stuff, I know where it all is!

And like I said, I'm far more likely to be looking for a variable or a function than a file.

I honestly can't remember the last time I searched for a file...

Without wanting to sound too pompous, with the way I have my computer set up, plus a bloody good memory, I don't search for stuff, I know where it all is!
Pompous ;)

I honestly can't remember the last time I searched for a file...
... Thought you had a good memory? ;) :p

uoba said:
... Thought you had a good memory? ;) :p

Excellent! So the irony wasn't lost.

Anyway, why shouldn't we see a 10.3.4?

The big point update [10.4] has to be months away at least...

Yep. I think a 10.3.4 will eventually be issued by Apple. However, we'll have to see. If only security updates are needed, Apple won't give out another x.x.x version. But for new hardware and bug fixes, Apple usually does. But hey: 10.3.3 is not even out yet. ;-)

This just in :

Mac OS X 10.3.3 Update build 7F34 seeded: Apple's hopes for a speedy release of the 10.3.3 Update, in no small part to pave the way for faster PowerMacs and Powerbooks which require the update for support of their new chipsets and features, are pinned on build 7F34 which was seeded this afternoon. So far reports are overwhelmingly positive; notably, 100% of the 3D rendering bugs seed in 7F32 appear to have been squashed. For the most part, the two-build advance has consisted heavily of bug fixes but also includes a new version of Safari as we predicted last week.

Well, I predict that it will be at least another two weeks before 10.3.3 is released. However, my psychic abilities have been wrong it the past. ::alien::

Fryke - do you know if the problem with SMB passwords not being saved in the keychain correctly has been fixed?

In current versions, when you connect to an SMB resource and are prompted for a password, you have the option to "Save to Keychain". However, OS X never uses these again in the future (supposedly because they were "saved incorrectly" to the keychain). Are you familiar with the problem I'm talking about, and is it gone with 10.3.3?

Ripcord, I am having similar issues with this. Seems to work better when you drop Keychain into startup items, but still not working for me properly, still have smb: login wondows coming up with the Domain, my Short Name, but no surname or password (of course if it had the password it wouldnt come up at all). However for all I know I could be doing something wrong, or it could be our cobbled-together windows network, so I haven't complained too volubly.
Is this a know bug then?
I know that network navigation has got a bit harder since Jaguar (thanks for that window-script Octane), but its been slightly improved with each update hasnt it?

SMB Keychain storage has been fine for me, but this is using a Linux SMB fileshare.

Back