10.3.4 is out

I have been messing with it, and it seems to be slightly smoother in Expose, but it may just be me. Everything is going great here though.

dlloyd - non-prebound applications would be any applications that haven't been prebound.

I know, not really a clear answer. Here's the long version

Applications make library calls, to functions that are not in the program's code, but in a library - otherwise every programmer's time would be taken up writing basic generic functions, like counting the length of a string of text or whatever. Nearly all programs will be dynamically linked, which is to say that they don't include the library, but rather ask the OS to point them to the right place whenever they want to make such a library call.

By default, that's a bit slower, since the OS then has to look up the library call they want to make, and figure out where to find the right function. OS X uses an optimization - it 'pre-binds' applications by including, in the executable file, the last location of a library function. Then when the program makes a library call, it can say, in effect "please execute this function. Try looking for it here first, that's where it was last time".

So, if you download and install a program, the first time you run it, it won't be prebound. After it makes any library call, the OS prebinds it for that call, to speed up subsequent calls.

Hi everyone! Being a Mac N00B i have a question about the updates.
What one should i get? Mac OSX Combined update 10.3.4 or just the Mac OSX Update 10.3.4?
Whats the difference between the 2?
Thanks! :)

I would suggest you to simply use Software Update in your System Preferences. The combined update includes previous updates as well, iirc.

Zammy-Sam said:
I would suggest you to simply use Software Update in your System Preferences. The combined update includes previous updates as well, iirc.
When I first got our iBook I used to take it to my brother's house and network my iBook with his PC so i could use his cable internet connection but the updater used to time-out whilst using it.:confused: I thought it was his firewall settings but today its going fine! :D
I'll just use the updater now like you recommended.
Thanks.

ElDiabloConCaca: I know I'm nitpicking. But you don't get 300kbps on a 3Mbps line. What you mean, probably, is 300 KB/s on a 3 Mbps line. The capital "B" stands for Bytes, the lowecase "b" for bits.

Sure wish they'd put in that graphics update they had in some other build of 10.3 a while back (anyone remember that?)

MacMuppet said:
You mean they are'nt working for you?

Ahh yeah got them now!

ha ha aren't they cute.....

no hang on they're not dancing ......... ahhhhh ....... turn it off, turn it off!

:p

gerbick said:
I was having problems with rejoining my network. No matter what I put in for WEP, it was saying wrong/error with connection to (network)... well, all of a sudden, poof! It started back working.

Will say that my startups seem to be a step slower though.

I have had that problem now since i updated. I can't join the network, I see the "looking for PPoE .." thing running since yesterday evening. I've got the error joining network 20 times, and I don't know whether the phone line here is dead as well .. I still can't join my network. :(

Well, I was hoping that they at least might have fixed the graphical errors that cropped up in 10.3.3. But no, still have the disappearing network icon and scroll bar redraw issues as mentioned here:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42438

I did submit it to Apple's OS X feedback... for as much as that helps.

Otherwise everything seems unchanged, USB support doesn't do me much good when my stupid 15" PowerBook doesn't supply the proper 500ma to the USB ports to power my drives. Apple doesn't seem to want to acknowledge this problem though, even though it's all over the AppleCare discussions forum.

Graphics update? Maybe you're thinking of ATi's update... I don't remember there being a specific driver update in any of the 10.3 point releases... I could be wrong, though!

Also, Chazam: the difference between the combo updater and the regular updater is that the combo updater can update ANY release of 10.3 to 10.3.4. You can install a plain vanilla 10.3 install, and then use the 10.3.4 combo updater to go straight to 10.3.4. With the smaller updater, you must already be at 10.3.3 to update to 10.3.4. The combo updater is good to keep around since if you ever need to reinstall, you can update directly to 10.3.4.

I'll second the idea that Software Update should be used whenever possible -- it's a foolproof way to be sure you apply the correct updater.

Also, fryke: yeah, that's what I meant. I'm just thrilled with the speed since I recently upgraded from a 1.5MBit (did I get the capitalization right this time?) to 3.0MBit and the speed improvement is phenomenal. I had no idea a telephone line could go this fast... ;) I'll be sure to jump on the 6.0MBit service when it comes out, too...

Giaguara said:
I have had that problem now since i updated. I can't join the network, I see the "looking for PPoE .." thing running since yesterday evening. I've got the error joining network 20 times, and I don't know whether the phone line here is dead as well .. I still can't join my network. :(
oh, it's getting worse. My internet access is slow... and I had zero issues with 10.3.3... heck, I'm even using my Windows box more now for internet. I'm getting more timeouts, I can't join my own network - my network is no longer listed, it joins on it's own after about 20 minutes, and sites are now timing out. My e-mail is being slow, and it's not acting like the same machine just prior to the upgrade.

I'm suffering here. I guess 10.3.4 doesn't like my cube. bleh.

scruffy: I see. I thought some apps were prebound, and others weren't. Permanently. I didn't know that all apps become prebound. My bad :)

repaired permission from cd before installing .3.4.
the permissions were fine after.

before i got the same thing i am getting right now. does anyne else get this? i was getting it with teh powerbook too - i am just amazed that after fixing this problem 30 hours ago from a cd (and it was fixed) i again get some issues with cdutil. oh well, never put the os x cds out of the reach of yout paws...

Code:
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.  New permissions are 33261
Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util, should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x 
Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util
Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util

Back