10.3 Panther Screenshot (For Real!!)

I think lessening the stripes is a good thing. It's a much smoother appearance, and it's a nice evolution of Aqua.

I wonder if they will give Max Rudberg any credit, since Panther's Aqua looks a helluva lot like his SmoothStripes theme... Somehow, I doubt it....

Originally posted by THEMACER
Anyone know if i can use my kodak dx4330 as a web cam for ichat2??? IF not y?

newbie5.jpg

Overall I like the new look, however I think the current Finder window looks better than the new one. The new one looks very XP and just doesn't look as friendly as the current one.

Mat

Someone was saying on another forums board that the look of Panther we see today in the pics may very well look different by the time Panther is actually released. He went on to point out how 10.2 Jaguar looked very similar to 10.1 up until very shortly before the final release.

But I agree with you guys. Even if this is the way the final version is gonna look like, Im VERY pleased!:D DAMNIT I CAn't wait!! :p ;)

brushed metal, I swear it just looks so cheesy these days. I mean Safari looks cool, iChat is iCrap, hopefully it won't be with the next release, but when it comes to brushed metal, it's not fun anymore. iTunes needs to be skin-able or something, because it is getting too big, I know they want to have a look that carries over to each app to ease use, but us advanced users are stuck with intermediate interfaces, well more like beginner.

And Expose removes my need for the old OS click desktop and bring finder to the front, this is just better.

Regardless how i feel about brushed metal, I'll have my copy of 10.3 the day it comes out.

guys its a shame u dont like the brushed metal finder and the new aqua look. but tough luck . thats all u got :)

if u dont like it theres at least 1 or 2 apps to change the themes. and theyre pretty amazing..
and if u dont like that option u can switch to xp or longhorn. antios :)

4OSX can now be found at http://66.246.110.221

Please bare with us while everything is uploaded and made ready.

IN addition, please note Apple has sent us a cease and desist for the panther screenshots, and therefore they will be taken down. If anyone knows an alternative please email me at network@xavia.net

Thank you,
Joshua Brown

Brushed metal looks ok in some apps like iTunes, but not the Finder(to me). It would be nice if Apple allowed us to toggle it on/off in a preference or something if they want to have it available in the Finder.
And as to that switch to XP/Longhorn comment, I say give it a rest. I have XP on my PC and it's a POS.:p

Why is it every time we don't agree with everything Apple does someone is quick to say jump to windows. Everyone has their own opinions, if we don't like it, and their are apps out to remove it, that would have to be an issue. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to allow us to select a theme much like the old os did. So calm down with all that.

The Aqua theme is getting uglier every day. Brushed Metal ? Yuck ! What about the new gray parts in windows (title bar, selected window item) ? What about the icons ? Look at the video icon: it looks green and hideous like XP !

Of course I'll use demetallifizers, but I'm bored with Apple not leaving older themes available. At least, letting us choose at install !

Exposé sounds great, I'm happy they *finally* thought of it.

Glad I got to see it last night. :D

I like the new look. There have to be more features to it than what we have seen, though. I guess we'll find those out on Monday. I kept looking at these pictures last night to see if I could discern whether or not they were fakes. They look pretty genuine- as far as my untrained eye can tell.

I used to sort of like the stripes back in the beginning, but they are tired now. I get bored easily with visuals, and I've been bored with the lines for a long time. I was happy when they took them out of the dock. Hopefully, Apple will take heed of my suggestion and give us an option to make the dock transparent just by clicking a radio button. I know there are apps that can do it. I've downloaded them! :D I would just like to be able to toggle the transparency on and off with the click of a button. I also would not be against being able to use brushed metal throughout. Some people don't like it. It doesn't bother me- not like the stripes. At least I don't get bored with the metal interface.

::love:: :)

I like the grey title bar - more minimal, less in your face. I mean, it's window elements, we don't want to look at them, we want them to work & then shut up. The increase in the use of brushed metal bugs me though - window elements should remain distinguishable from actual functional bits of application.

Imagine if you could change the stripe background to any color you wanted by moving the mouse across the color wheel. You could also coordinate your desktop and fonts to match it.

Each desktop would truly be unique- because it would be set to each user's liking. They could also create an option to add the stripes in with the colors- for those that like 'em. And, they could allow users to increase or decrease the size and strength of the stripes- similar to how they allow users to set the text smoothing up or down.

I think that the ability to "theme" the gui is a very noticeable absence for those Mac users who are converting from OS 9. And I know there are ways to change things, but it should be easier. Apple should have more appearance options built right in. OS X's interface sometimes seems too rigid. It's not as user friendly- in that respect. Am I saying I hate Aqua? No. I love it, but I would also like to have options. They made some progress in 10.2, but more could still be done.

Some of us enjoy tinkering with things. We enjoy messing around with settings to get it the way we like it. There's not enough of that in OS X. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)

The reason they dont allow the user to controll the look of the user interface is that there are lot of users out there with poor taste :) they dont want them to mess it up and post it in magazines and on tv cuz then everybody would think apple had bad taste.

Allright, mirrored them at http://home.no.net/macosx/103 ;)

They look rather fake to me, though. What's up with that "The Macintosh Desktop Experience" thing?
-Finder is not a desktop. Finder consists of several interface elements, the desktop is one of them.
-That sentence is very un-apple.
-The layout of that box just isn't right. The "Finder" text doesn't make up for the size of the Mac logo above it. The Mac/Finder logo is actually the 128 pixel Finder icon, Apple would know better than that. The text lines aren't properly aligned. "Finder version 10.3" is a strange string, there's nothing like it in any other Apple applications as I know.
-The Finder box of 10.2 doesn't specifically tell what version of Finder it is, only the system version in 10.x format. If you go find Finder in /System/Library/CoreServices/ and hit command+i on it, you'll see it's 10.2.1, although the About Finder box says 10.2.
-The box seems to be a mix of the About this Mac and the About Finder windows.

Don't have time to scan every one of the shots, but I noticed in the folder submenu picture, that Color Label is in the same category as Move to Trash. Err... And the X is unproperly aligned to the color dots, it should be either closer or aligned with the same gap.
In general, these shots look like a themed 10.2 with lots of Photoshop afterwork
:confused:
And yes, I am an Apple beta tester.

Back