10.4.2 is out now.

It's definitely faster and it connects to my wireless network quickly after waking from sleep (before I'd have to wait a few seconds before loading Firefox).

What does the Widget manager do exactly? It only seems to be able to enable or disable the widgets. Is that it?

It seems to break USB Overdrive's control of the mouse wheel (its other features still work). I've lost my accelerated scrolling. I really can't stand using the default wheel behavior. After using USB Overdrive, going back seems to defeat the entire purpose of having a scroll wheel.

I guess all I can do is wait for an update. Usually USB Overdrive is updated promptly. But for anyone else who relies on it, be warned.

MBHockey said:
Choppy exposé still not fixed

you can fix this yourself. install XCode off the tiger disk, then spotlight Quartz Debug and run it. under the first menu should be beam syncing. turn it off, then force quit (alt+apple+esc) Debug. expose should be faster, after login.

installed on my mini 1.4 - very nice, even though I still only have 256 megs RAM in it - finder seems snappier and safari quits faster. That sounds weird I know, but it was bothering me that safari would give me beach balls when closing a window with lots of tabs.

Someone was saying that it hosed their g3 - anyone else with advice concerning my g3 iBook?

Software Update unexpectedly quit, so I had to download and install the Delta update manually. Safari's version is, IIRC, 402.2, and the About this Mac box displays version 10.4.2, but Finder -> About Finder yields "The Macintosh Desktop Experience 10.4.1"

Anyone else seeing this, too?

10.4.2 has broken MySQL...I think!

I do not know enough about MySQL to be sure, but it was working a few days ago. I upgraded to 10.4.2 today. If I try to open phpMyAdmin (localhost) Iget the following Error:
#2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
what does this mean? Is it related to 10.4.2?

aristos said:
Software Update unexpectedly quit, so I had to download and install the Delta update manually. Safari's version is, IIRC, 402.2, and the About this Mac box displays version 10.4.2, but Finder -> About Finder yields "The Macintosh Desktop Experience 10.4.1"

Anyone else seeing this, too?

Yes, my Finder still shows 10.4.1.

I never had a problem with Airport Extreme, and now after the update I have trouble joining networks (!!) when waking from sleep, something that has never happened before that was supposed to be patched in 10.4.2. :(

It also didn't seem to address the Safari scroll bar redraw issues. I had reported that a while ago and it is listed as a "duplicate" in Apple's Bug Reporter. (Along with the Login Items problems.)

Safari10.4.2.png

Well, I installed 10.4.2 this morning via Software Update. I have a 1 GHz 17" PowerBook with maxed RAM and no other hardware mods. I did an archive and install this past weekend, so the existing 10.4.1 was fairly "fresh".

I now get a kernel panic just after the Apple logo, so it's obviously conflicting with something.

I have zapped the PRAM, booted from install DVD and repaired disk/permissions. No luck.

Suggestions?

I've just installed it. Took ages to restart for the first time, but everything seems to be in working order. Safari scrolls too fast now with a scroll ball. Anyway to go back to the old way?

EDIT: Found the scrolling speed option in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane. All good :)

Viro said:
I never had a problem with Airport Extreme, and now after the update I have trouble joining networks (!!) when waking from sleep, something that has never happened before that was supposed to be patched in 10.4.2. :(

This is one funny bug. My iBook was working fine on 10.4.1 - using old airport and an airport express. Reconnection was almost instant - like it was in Panther. Then I gave it to my daughter, zeroed the drive and re-installed Tiger and updated it to 4.1. It stopped connecting to the wireless network. I didn't have anything third party that may have caused it to connect or disconnect, but :-\

I found the advice here on the forum to trash the com.airport.preferences.plist (while airport is on) and restart. Then set to automatically join preferred networks. That fixed it.

@aristos
Finder is 10.4.1 - funny because it is much more responsive for me.

Scottfab said:
Its a Safari add-on. I'll go check the Saft site to see if its updated.

Is there away to disable Saft until it's updated?

I seem to prefer Safari then any others :0

Done it, found Saft bundles in Library/input managers removed em and presto, back on Safari :)

Funny, but I can't find the WidgetManager... where exactly is it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it... who would have thought that the WidgetManager would be a widget itself? ;)

there seems to be a problem with safari and the trackpad on my PB...

as this page was loading i immediately started scrolling down (using 2 fingers on trackpad) this then stopped the page loading and i was left with only the first and second posts and nothing else - i refreshed and let the page load normally and its ok..

also - the new way dashboard handles new widgets is odd... if you double click a new widget from the desktop you get a pop up asking you to install or not - great.

if you hit install the widget is loaded in a 'preview' window in dashboard - with 'keep' or 'delete' as the options... however - if you return to the desktop without making a selection the widget is automatically kept - and installed... sort of defeats the purpose surely?...

i'm also now having the weird drawing of the scroll bar in safari too.

"who would have thought that the WidgetManager would be a widget itself?"

anyone who has been reading rumoursites nonstop for a month waiting for this update ;)
and you could not have missed the giant "Manage Widgets" button by the "+"?
:)

Back