10.4.9 in Software Update

I noticed the little surprise just now. I'm going to download the Combo Updater so that I have both the Intel and PPC versions. And to think I just configured some iMacs at work and cloned all of them with all of the updates prior to this. Now that smarts. :eek:

the combo updater is universal, you mean?
EDIT: just checked - only for server, the combo is universal. for client version, you still have to choose ppc or intel. this'll change with leopard only, i guess.

the combo updater is universal, you mean?

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm downloading both the PPC version and the Intel version so that I have it for installs at work. I'm only installing the PPC version on my iMac G5. :)

Just updated. 164MB Combo. All seems OK.

But the startup was scarily slow with a second restart. And I got a long hang on the "Starting MacOSX" screen with the blue bar. Stayed all white for too long to be comfortable, and then the desktop appeared with bits of the menu bar at a time!!

Hm. I always reboot twice after updating. The first one's been slow for me as well. Second was mighty quick.

I think since 10.4.6, the initial bootup after an OS update has always been a little slower than usual. Nothing out of the ordinary, though. Probably rebuilding kernel caches or something. :)

I think since this 10.4.9 it includes somethings like 10.3.9 did to run certain applications that Tiger could only run. So 10.4.9 may have somethings to let 10.4.9 users use applications write for 10.5.x.

Hm. Might be. But then again, Apple said at WWDC that the big API changes were _done_ with 10.4. So if it's the case that 10.4.9 brings support for apps developed for 10.5 and up, it should be smaller changes. My guess really is, though, that most apps will be compatible with 10.3.9-10.5.x this year and the next.

IMPORTANT NEWS on 10.4.9 ---> UNDOCUMENTED Changes to the Eject button on Mac keyboards !!!

Apple did a change in 10.4.9 on the Eject buttons on keyboards. Now to get the Eject button to eject, just hold the the eject button for 1.5 seconds. The Eject button use to be instantaneous.

Also some people on other boards say iSync has new phones added to it. Can someone verify this?

IMPORTANT NEWS on 10.4.9 ---> UNDOCUMENTED Changes to the Eject button on Mac keyboards !!!

Apple did a change in 10.4.9 on the Eject buttons on keyboards. Now to get the Eject button to eject, just hold the the eject button for 1.5 seconds. The Eject button use to be instantaneous.

You're right! I can't just click it anymore, I have to hold it down. I guess they did that because people were hitting the eject button by mistake often (including me).

iSync definately has been updated, but I don't know about the phones...

Hmm, does that eject thingy apply to both USB and MacBook keyboards? 'Cause on my system F12 is the default Eject. It has always had a short delay, which is great, because that way the same key can be programed for an addition function, such as StartScreensaver.

Haven't installed it yet, but wasn't 10.4.9 supposed to address problems with Universal Access? Didn't see any documentation on that from Apple. :( .

You know, I had noticed this on the Core 2 Duo iMacs I'm setting up in a classroom now. I used to just hit the eject key and the disc would come out. It was just instinctual for me to hold it down and have the disc eject. I didn't even think that much about it, but I did think it was a little weird. Now I know why! ::ha::

I guess there was a problem with either one of my earlier Macs or an earlier version of OS X which had me do it. Might even have been a particular disc. It was just some "trained fryke feature". The good thing: I don't have to adapt now. :)

I guess there was a problem with either one of my earlier Macs or an earlier version of OS X which had me do it. Might even have been a particular disc. It was just some "trained fryke feature". The good thing: I don't have to adapt now. :)
I understand. I am also curious as to why you reboot twice after a software update. I have always done this (my own idiosyncracy). My thought process has been that somehow this will ensure the update is somewhere bedded down properly, although I am not sure how necessary it is.

One last note. I have found 10.4.8 very stable (like 10.3.9). I hope this last incarnation remains the same.

Back