10.4.9 in Software Update

I just reboot twice to verify that "normal" boot time is still normal. Started doing this when Apple started with those strange reboot/hang-at-grey-screen/reboot reboots with system updates.

sudo command said something when first run. I have filled the iTerm buffer
so I cannot verify, but it something about how much you can make damage
with sudo, so be careful... Second time I run it, it did not tell it.

Just upgraded the Quicksilver G4.
Download OK.
Install OK.

From clicking "Restart" to getting the new desktop appearing and clickable - 8 mins 40 seconds!!

artov: sudo just does that when first run in a session, I believe. nothing to do with 10.4.9 specifically AFAIK.

used software update, and all is well. didn't notice the eject delay because i don't use an apple keyboard, so i always have had to hold it down to make it work. i hope 10.5 is close out.

Just got the update. Uncomfortably long boot time after install, and my secondary and tertiary boots were a tad less snappy than they used to be. I'm really glad about the Eject button thing; that was so annoying to hit while typing something important.

Oh, and weird: a process called "mds" was using about 50% of both processors for 5 minutes straight!

mds is afaik the process that handles volumes (harddisk, memory sticks etc). Didn't notice if my computer did the same.
I also noticed the sudo thing. I think they resetted some of the first run stuff. I was also presented with the setup assistant after runnning the update

I also noticed the sudo thing. I think they resetted some of the first run stuff.
Yeah looks like the update removes the directories (named for users who've run sudo in the past) in /var/run/sudo, which result in sudo issuing the "first run warning". Interesting -- maybe because the warning is a bit more stern "warning, potential loss of data or important system files", etc. etc. they wanted users to see it again :)

aliensub: Being presented with the Setup Assistant, however, does not sound normal to me.

aliensub: Being presented with the Setup Assistant, however, does not sound normal to me.

I also thought it was a little odd. But maybe a plist file which tells if it's a first run has been reset or something (as I suspect is the same with the sudo prompt). Beside that little oddity everything works like a charm

Mine restarted without the usual pause, but next time I powered it down it lost the bluetooth mouse after it paired with it when it restarted; pairing it again got it back without problems. I usually have to pair it again when I power off anyway.

Guess Spotlight's reindexing in the background then, eh... I didn't notice that myself, though.

Guess Spotlight's reindexing in the background then, eh... I didn't notice that myself, though.
If my memory is correct, it is possible to see whether or not the disk thrashing is due to Spotlight indexing. Clicking on the Spotlight icon in the top right corner of the screen, when the disk is busy, will throw up a message to tell you it is indexing, if indeed it is. :)

I thought that was only the case the very first time. I've never seen it up there again... Hm.

Another weird problem: After update, my MacBook's keyboard will erratically stop functioning if a USB keyboard is attached while waking from sleep.

I thought that was only the case the very first time. I've never seen it up there again... Hm.
Well, I've seen it there more than once, and I've only installed Tiger once...

I don't know whether this was due to indexing newly added hardware, deactivating/re-activating indexing of a volume (to test it), software updates, or something else, mind you...

I wonder what that USB iChat cam support thing means. Will my cheap logitech webcam have a new home?

Back