10.4 Features!

I want built-in ability to monitor QuickTime content via FireWire. I'm talking about right thru the QT Player, not from Final Cut. Wasn't there some shareware that did that at one point?

WooHoo: Sicilian!

"Accattàmme 'a mail" "m'a leggesse 'stu testo" "cùccate!" :D

I'd like that. :) ;)

I love OS X, don't get me wrong...
But sometimes, for some things, I just prefer the way Windows does it.

I want an option in View Options (Cmd-J) to sort folders independently of loose files, so I can see all my folders together at the top of my window. I'm very organised, most of my files are in folders. When I save a file as a loose file in a directory it's usually because I want to get to it quickly. I don't want to get it lost amidst folders. And I certainly don't want it above the folders (as anything with file-type less than 'Folder' does when sorted by type).

I want an option, or maybe even a third-party utility that can run on startup, that allows me to use the Windows behaviour of keyboard-selecting text or items, and to adopt the behaviours of Home, End, Page Up and Page Down. It's possible, because Office v.X uses the Windows selection algorithm and overrides Apple's one. I want to be able to click in the sentence once, and hold Shift and End and for that to select the whole line, to the end of that line. I want Home and End to be the beginning and end of a LINE not of a document. Or at least, I want the option.

Not for me, but for people who, above, stated they wanted to be able to quit programs from a widget - Cmd+Maximise is a variation of Maximising - couldn't we have Cmd+Close bound to Quitting? (For those that said the circle denotes quitting, it actually denotes changes since last saved).

Outside of XP-like differences, I want to see:

Support for separators in the Dock

The ability to change the selection box colour on the desktop (it's various shades of white at the moment which doesn't suit a white desktop picture).

Better transparency support across the board. I want to be able to copy from preview, and have the transparency map applied before it's sent to the clipboard, as opposed to having large quantities of black around transparent images (primarily for pasting into Get Info windows). I want Safari to show alpha-blended PNG files properly (case in point: www.deviantart.com ).

I want to be able to have more than one dock if I want, one on the left, one on the right, one at the bottom, for various collections of icons.

I want to be able to set up, using fast user switching, a system of multiple desktops, so I can zap into a corner and the desktop folds over on itself with your username II...

When I'm going through spring-loaded folders to move a file or to drag a file over an application to open it with that application, I want to be able to scroll down in the Applications window somehow - apparently holding a file to the bottom of a window doesn't scroll down anymore.

I want to recover the ability from OS9 to drag windows to the sides of screens to form tabbed drawers.

Oh, and when Keyboard Navigation is on, I don't want to see an ugly blue glow around unselected items until I start tabbing. I also want this to (a la Windows) underline a character I can press to instantly select the option.

I'm really looking forward to the new update; I hope it lives up to my ridiculously high expectations.

Sheesh, you don't want much do you? ;)

I would like more control over the general look of the interface without resorting to themes - I like the way it looks fine actually, just wish I could change the background colour of folders to something apart from white, I'd like a full colour palette for this, so you could have off-white (not so glaring), and also could have pink or whatever if you really wanted.
I second the more colours for folder tabs too....

MacMuppet:

You CAN use different colours:

Cmd+J (or View - Show View Options...) and then at the bottom of the window, select 'Colour' and pick a colour by clicking on the square that appears.

Also, your hope for a magnifying glass sounds alot like Pixie (one of the Developer's Tools) to me.

Also, I want an option in Safari to have it use CSS-themed buttons and scrollbars as IE does, for certain websites...

now you see, back in OS9 if i remenber rightly, the 'tabbed' folders were called spring loaded folders ( corect me if im wrong) but i also seccond that request it would be like many docs on your desktop :D

It looks like Security, Safari, and a possible new file system might be introduced. Although a new file system might not be really introduced in Tiger, it must be introduced in some other release. We must not let microsoft take this one away from Apple.

For what I have read Safari will implement a new java script engine that it is said to be Super Fast. Well see....

Security always needs to be looked at carefully too.

jackdahi said:
For what I have read Safari will implement a new java script engine that it is said to be Super Fast. Well see....

Oooh! Is that a "JavaScript" engine, or a "Java" script engine? Where'd you read that?

I would like to see the reintroduction of the 'delve down' feature that was in OS 9 x, where you double clicked (holding the button down on the second click) on a folder and you could look into subsequent folders to find what your looking for blah blah and if you didn't find it move the cursor back to the desktop and all the folders would close again – if you know what I mean?

Also I would like the icons in a folder to resize when you resize the enclosing folder – with the aid of a modifier key of course so it can revert to how it does it now.

I want the option to turn of menu blinking, I blinkin hate it.

How about a pop-up info box appears over a file folder when you hover over it when holding modifier keys to provide a quick look at properties, then it disappears again, but you still have the standard Get Info windows too.

I would like the option to have what I call background apps such as Stuffit Expander to stop from coming to the front when I have downloaded something from Safari or whatever, so it doesn't interfere with my browsing etc.

It would be cool if you could get app info from and the option to resize the application switcher.

Erm what else, oh yes improved performance.

Cheers

eric

When I'm going through spring-loaded folders to move a file or to drag a file over an application to open it with that application, I want to be able to scroll down in the Applications window somehow - apparently holding a file to the bottom of a window doesn't scroll down anymore.

You can still scroll in a spring-loaded folder by dragging the file to the bottom of the window. :)

sorry. i didn't read some of the previous threads. but hopefully no one has mentioned this. I REALLY want more integrated iCal. I don't like to take the time to launch iCal to see what is on my schedule for a week, what I have to do,etc. so i use a sticky which I update every week with things I need to do, calendar, etc. wouldn't it be nice if iCal had something like this with integration into the finder?

bobbo said:
menu blinking? what is that?

Try this to see an example: make the Finder active, then select "New Finder Window" from the "File" menu. When you let go of the mouse button to finalize the selection, watch the blue highlight bar (or whatever color you have set on your system) closely -- it'll blink once or twice, as if to emphasize the fact that the menu item was selected.

In OS 7/8/9, you could set this to one, two, three or zero blinks with the "General Controls" control panel.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Oooh! Is that a "JavaScript" engine, or a "Java" script engine? Where'd you read that?

Quote from Appleinsider (RUMOR SITE) "Within the next 9 months Apple will also introduce a major revision to Safari, reliable sources said. While this major revision is expected to sport a number of new features, a version of the browser with a completely rewritten javascript engine could appear even earlier. The new javascript engine is said to be 'extremely fast' and is currently in the latter stages of development."

All yours buddy!

Im waiting for a 64bit finder! Lets make those G5's work smarter not harder please!

Back