10.5 First impressions - post yours

Taking advantage of the subject rrather than replying, hoping this thread may become s Stickie.

My Mac: G4 QS upgraded to dual 1.8 GHZ, 1.5GB plus MB 2.0 Core Duo 2GB

MB Leopard is fine, but as yet unused with Leopard except for iChat. Change background, iChat Theater, file transfer all work.

G4 for some reason not eligible, per Leopard. My back door approach:

FW drive formatted to GUID per Leopard when connected to MB. Installed Leopard on FW then connected to G4. Used Super Duperr to clone to HFS+ volume. Booted that installation and it works.

Found I don't like Stacks. I'd rather right click and get a clickable list.

Time Machine. Not intuitive. Have to Add to a list to subtract from the copy process. Be careful. Untouched, it will try to backup ALL your hard drives the first time. You have to add hard drives and files to the list (Options) to remove them from the copy process. TM is a System hog when it nears/counting down to the next backup. You can limit how far back in time it will save its files by limiting the size of the partition it is given. Otherwise it will fill a 500GB drive before overwriting. It can be time-consuming to set up. Took 2.8 hours to backup 30 GB.

Safari Fast, but has problem with QuickTime items on websites. Flip4Mac is broken, or did not transfer.

Mail. I no longer use it.

Migration Assistant did a good job. iCal and Address Book are intact & usable.

Not a power user, so have no comments on the pro apps.

Have not yet tried iWorks 08 or iLife 08, though I have both.

Please understand that this is my early experience with Leopard, on MY Mac, the way it is set up and running. It was purring with Tiger. I'm not nearly at that stage with Leopard.

I restarted and it would powerup and begin to boot and then power off. I haven't tried to get the installer DVD out yet. Will check on Monday.

Here's something I found in some training notes for Leopard
If the startup disk has irreparable directory damage, Leopard shuts down during the spinning gear stage, instead of continuing indefinitely.
Boot back up to the Leopard installer DVD, and run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. You may find that your hard drive is failing...

What ever happened to the cool iChat effects, such as the Star Wars holograph and alpha channel mouth options?

Gaaah. You see, the people who said Apple stole ideas from Vista were right! I'm sure there'll be a way of disabling it. Please.

Click on the desktop (puts you in the Finder) go to Menu bar, select Finder, second Item Down Select Preferences, Select Advanced, Remove 3rd Check mark. That should do it. Sorry if I didn't get all the names right I was doing a quick Translate from German. Were the Items are at the Same Place but are called different.http://macosx.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Like the 3D bar.

Love Spaces & the look & feel of Finder. Though I find that a couple of the document types/movie types (ie VLC) don't allow or provide a way that I know of yet, to provide an icon - visual for.

Spaces has some interesting buggie characteristics.
1. I setup a 2x2 space.
2. I was access via my RF mouse - button 4. Originally, button 4 was setup to view setup for Expose' applications window. I set b4 up for Spaces and let it run overnight. The next day, B4 was acting as an Expose' Applications button again. I went to check the setup and it was setup for Spaces. Odd behavior.
I also noted that my Airport signal was dead. My other Macbook was still connected just find.
3. I rebooted, and the Airport came up 5-by-5 (Perfect)
4. I modified spaces to have the space showing up on the Menu Bar, and it did. At that point, my mouse b4 wasn't working, again. I checked System Pref and it was correctly setup. I unset / reset it and it began working. Still working.

Initially, every directory and functional "finder" category needed to rebuild its index before it could access the files, but once built is impressively quick. The first build can take a few minutes.

I've added photos to my iPhoto, then accessed pictures a couple of hours later via Finder. Finder needed to re-sync the pictures category when I reloaded it, which I found to be a bit odd.

I still don't understand why there isn't a "move" (or cut/paste) option natively in Finder. I use MuCommander to move files, but it is silly that I need a 3rd party application to do what Finder "Almost" does. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong - I find it difficult, as a new mac user, to believe that Finder does everything for file management, except move the files.

I use the stacking function and would like it to manage smaller icons - or a scrolling up/down stack w/o having the full window view. Also, if the stack would allow Grid access, and expand in/out of a directory in the Grid, that would be cool. If the stack were a "Fan", allowing access by scrolling to an up/down arrow and having the stack move up/down would also be cool!

Net:Net - I love 10.5. I love Spaces. I am already using a couple of stacks and the Finder app is pretty cool.

Don't understand the Loss of Signal w/Airport. I have extreme and it is 802.11/n. I should not have any access issues.

I don't understand the Failure of Spaces a couple of times, but I've recovered easily enough.

I am working on the Time Machine feature next...Wish me luck!
Cam

MacBook Pro 15", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz + 2GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5 (9A581)

Leopard is great in all respects except for one major flaw. This new Stacks system is terrible and rendered our shortcuts folder with aliases to network drives, sub folders containing additional aliases to programs, etc. unusable.

Please Apple, give us a way to disable Stacks and go back to the way things used to work in all the previous versions of OS X. I have seen so many people posting on various forums talking about how they absolutely hate Stacks and wish the functionality would be the same as it was in Tiger.

If anyone has a solution to this or a way to get this across to Apple I think a lot more people would be very happy with this new version of OS X.

What ever happened to the cool iChat effects, such as the Star Wars holograph and alpha channel mouth options?

hey you're right! I'd forgotten about that.

I think this is why Apple are so secretive -- there were probably a number of features stripped from Tiger at the last minute, but we'll never know because they didn't pre-announce Tiger features so thoroughly.

I only request simple things from my network which it obliged until about 4pm on the 26th. First the damned program would not intstall...I had to go back and forth twice to get it up and running.

Then, forget printing over the network (it is an Extreme-N)which worked delightfully since it was installed about a month ago. It even recognized and used a network disc until I installed leopardshit-tard.

Then you also can cast away the entire keychain which they just updated an hour ago (which does me no good whatsoever).

Settings and preferences, upgrade, HAH!!!! This piece of crap shaftware is worthy of Bill Gates.

F it I'm going back to Tiger. Anyone want to buy an almost new MBP 17" glosssy screened paperweight?

After installing this sweet kitty last night, I started exploring her features. The first thing I did was to try Time Machine. It backed everything up whilst I explored other features.

No gotchas UNTIL I decided to try Boot Camp. After partitioning, I installed XP Home on the new partition. As the install was finishing, I got the dread Blue Screen Of Death. I tried to recover from that several times, but nothing doing. And I couldn't eject the MickeySoft CD until I extracted the drive from this Mac Pro and hit the internal eject button on the drive proper.

I put the Leopard disk back in and tried various recovery means in vain. Finally, I initialised the boot volume and installed FRESH.

After the install, it asked me if I wanted to transfer data from another machine OR A TIME MACHINE DRIVE. I selected Time Machine. It instructed me to plug it in. I clicked the Okay and an hour later everything was back just the way it had been before the Boot Camp installation.

So! Time Machine saved my butt! It works as advertised!

BTW: just about everything gives you a lot more choices than in Tiger. And very appropriate choices at that. My Notes and ToDos, created in Mail sync to my other machines. I was able to use the MacBook Pro to browse the MacPro wirelessly, and even watch a TV show that resided on a drive in the MacPro. I haven't yet tried "Back To My Mac" from a DIFFERENT network, but have confidence that it will work just fine. "Back To My Mac" uses .mac to keep track of where your various machines reside, and takes care of configuring the connections for you. Just use the Finder to find your sibling and use it's files.

Spaces works flawlessly.

The Finder is a really slick app now, and Cover Flow works VERY nicely in the Finder. As I resize the Finder window, the docs, movies, pictures automatically resize also. The Finder is quite configurable now, and I'll probably get rid of some of the third party software I've been using to browse and manage media files of various kinds.

hey you're right! I'd forgotten about that.

I think this is why Apple are so secretive -- there were probably a number of features stripped from Tiger at the last minute, but we'll never know because they didn't pre-announce Tiger features so thoroughly.

They're definitely there in PhotoBooth. Ah, in iChat as well. 3rd and 4th page of video effects. See, all's well.

I got my copy of Leopard in yesterday . . . . have sent the last two days trying to install. The OS disc freezes at the destination . . . can not find (or recognized) my hard drive.

So I only seem to have two pages of video effects, i.e. the standard 'photographic' adjustments (Sepia, B&W etc) and the stretch, dent page etc. Are there meant to be more ? I think this might be due to me being on a PPC Mac. Further research leads me to this article

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306687

Looks like my assumption above was right with regards to the need for an Intel set up

So I installed 10.5 onto my ibook G3, its at the booting apple logo, so I'll see what happens.

I Love it! I did a basic 'upgrade' which took about an hour, and everything went just fine!
I love Photo Booth and the new iChat! lol

Ice,

You can turn off Empty Trash confirmation message in Finder Preferences under Advanced, I believe. Also, iMovie 06 is available for download from Apple for free if you want to go back to it.

Doug

It took me two installs to get a good build to work from. The interesting thing is the problem of compatibility between Tiger and Leopard, this is what I found...

1) Backup doesn't work as well as I had hoped to bring back the data I archived previously so that was a problem. It ultimately did good and I was able to restore data but it wasn't smooth.

2) I noticed that when I was restoring my iCal files from my backup, it wouldn't restore so after looking at the logs, I discovered that the Leopard iCal file system is different than the iCal file system of Tiger. That prompted me to check and see if Microsoft Office 2004, Entourage would synchronize with iCal or not - it did not. Microsoft Sync caused issues with iCal and compounded trouble from there.

3) Firewall is not set up the same. Apple took away the ability to configure individual ports, both UDP and TCP and for incoming and outgoing traffic. I have an important application that requires me to establish open ports of both UDP and TCP and I was unable to configure this. Not sure why but Apple determined that users only needed to do is add an application to the firewall window in system preferences and presto- it works. Not the case, this process does not function properly.

4) At the point of launch, Mac users can no longer synchronize their iCal calendars with Exchange what so ever. Previously, users could use Microsoft Office 2004 Entourage or Snerdware's GroupCal but neither program supports Leopard today and therefore, there is no possible chance for collaboration with Exchange until sometime in 2008.

Fundamentally, this to me is a significant oversight by Apple and maybe their stubbornness and dogmatic approach to "open source", focusing on CalDAV for collaboration, has left Mac users in the cold. Frankly this is a raw deal and in the Enterprise, unacceptable.

Beyond this, there are a few quirky issues with the OS but minor in comparison. The shell performs much faster than Tiger did and the native OSX programs work wonderfully. For today - if you're an Enterprise user, defer your decision to move to Leopard until sometime middle of next year (2008) sorry but there isn't better news until then.

Other than not able to restore my address (from Backup.app), I am so far very pleased.
Install went easy took the average of 40 minutes. Set-up Time Machine to my external with no problems. Then Spotlight indexed my drives.

Terminal you have to enable su manually, that took some digging around to find out how.
On a new Imac, and my old PB, Leopard seems to run well so far. Neo Office files only give you the first page in Quick-Look, hopefully something that will be fixed in the future.

Well, I preordered Leopard and received a shipping notice from FedEx. Late Friday, Fedex said my Leopard package ended up in Indiana - I'm in California. Go figure. I guess Monday will be soon enough...

Back