10.5 First impressions - post yours

Installation was quick as installations go (though it was a bit disconcerting that the initial time remaining was "5 hours and 23 minutes", (dropping down to 19 minute left after about half an hour). I learned the importance of reading details first before acting. Bought the family pack before I discovered the processor speed took out four of the five candidates for the the upgrade. Time Machine was a simple as clicking okay, then letting it build the back-up overnight.

Two things that weren't entirely clear before I did the install (again need to read better) was Leopard's inability to deal with OS 9 apps, and Apple's Filemaker Division's decision to orphan everything prior to the current version (9). Filemaker has publicly identified at least two features that Leopard breaks and will have a patch in about a month. But will not provide a patch for versions 8.5 or earlier, nor will they do any testing of earlier versions. Their customers must upgrade or else FM may not be completely functional with Leopard. Unfortunately, the FM 9 upgrade was significantly more expensive than earlier upgrades.

I open PhotoBooth or iChat, go to Effects, choose the 3rd page for preinstalled effects. Choose 4th page of effects to add my own backdrops... Dunno how else to explain...

Me too, there are only two effect panels there. (See screenshot)

edit: I believe it depends on which renderpath is available to you. I will start photobooth with the geforce 6800 renderpath/opengl engine (with the help of the developer app opengl profiler). Lets see if the new effects show up.

Attachments

• Bild 2 copy.png
    Bild 2 copy.png
    236.8 KB · Views: 8
What computer do you have, because it might just be for the computers with iSight built in.

I have a Powermac G5 dual - 2Ghz (AGP); modified Geforce 7800 and one of the old standalone iSight cameras.
Ok, I tried every preset in the OpenGL profiler and the effects didn't show up. It might be that OSX uses a standard graphics driver which lacks certain features, or these option might not be available for the PowerPC. Back in OSX 10.4 I used a customised OpenGL engine for the 7800, to take advantage of all OpenGL features. At least the mac is running fine with all the other eye candy.

I really only have one complaint about Leopard. The bloody install DVD is stuck in my iBook and I can't it out!!!

You may laugh, but this is a disaster. Imagine my excitement when I unpacked my small parcel from Apple last Friday afternoon and pulled out the shiny new Leopard DVD. I place it in the iBook to install and the sodding thing gets stuck.

The DVD is not recognised and won't eject.

However, it seems that most recipients are generally pleased with the new system.

They're definitely there in PhotoBooth. Ah, in iChat as well. 3rd and 4th page of video effects. See, all's well.

There's no StarWars effect like they previewed. That was probably the most fun one IMO. But maybe they ran into copyright problems with Lucas Studios.

Some Photo Boot effects require an Intel Mac for some reason:
Photo Booth requires an iSight camera (built-in or external), USB video class (UVC) camera, or FireWire DV camcorder; and an Intel or PowerPC G5 processor. Backdrop effects require an Intel Core Duo or faster processor. Backdrop effects when using a DV camcorder require fixed focus, exposure, and white balance.

i'm guessing no-one rebooted yet...

"Starting Mac OS" screen is gone. it now goes from grey Apple, to blue screen, to desktop. to be honest, after Tiger's arbitrary "Starting Mac OS X" with a blue bar filling almost too rapidly to see, i'm guessing they thought it wasn't needed any more.

On Friday night I spent about 10 min in line at about 6:15 pm at the New Jersey, Sagemore apple store. There were a lot of people in the store and the stores employees were all smiling and all pretty busy.

Anyway I could only get a large T-Shirt all X-large were gone.

But I did get my Family pack of Leopard. When I got home, I upgraded my Powerbook G4 1.67 GHZ / 1.5GB of memory first. I decided to forgo any backup, just full steam ahead (I checked most of my apps in the preceding days for any issues with leopard, non found). The upgrade went smooth, but took about 1.5 hours.

I then upgraded my iMac (2.4GHz Intel / 2GB of memory (After I installed the beta version of Fusion 1.1)). The upgrade of my iMac took about 45 min. and was smooth.

My first impression is that the changes are appealing and I like it, but not wow'd. However, I am beginning to warm up to Leopard and am glad I bought it. I do not have the same feelings as I do regarding MS Vista, so what, who cares, memory hog and just slow, stay with XP). I didn't want to stay with tiger and I am glad I did the upgrade.

So Far I have to say "Time Machine" is OK. Time machine seems to be a bit slow and I would like to have more control over it. But for now I will try and see what else I can do with it.

I like the changes in mail.

My experience on my Intel iMac is great, I haven't really hit my PowerbookG4, but that will come Monday at work.

Anyway I will try and update more as I use MAC OS X 10.5.

After doing a clean install, I examined the logs I'd copied off. Looks like Application Enhancer may have been to blame. The logs were FULL - I mean hundreds of repeated lines - of CSS/Finder errors. I'd strongly suggest dumping APE prior to attempting an upgrade. If it's already too late, you can boot into a UNIX prompt and manually delete the offending files.

Here's a fix I found (sadly) after the fact. Paths may differ.

1. Reboot into single-user mode (hold Cmd-S while booting machine)
2. Follow the directions OSX gives you when you get to the prompt (I think these were them - just type the two commands it tells you to):
fsck -fy /
/sbin/mount -uw /
3. Remove the following files:
rm -rf /Library/Preference Panes/Application Enhancer.prefpane
rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/Application Enhancer.framework
rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Application Enhancer.bundle
rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.unsanity.ape.plist
4. Exit, to continue booting normally
exit
restart

Now that I'm up and running, I'm back to loving Leopard. The menu bar transparency adjustments are MUCH better than the beta!

Never thought I'd be posting anything like this. As a developer, I've been running various iterations of the beta on several machines at work, but I wanted an actual retail package just to have (because it's cool and all). So I got it yesterday and went to upgrade my MacBook Pro. I did all the things one does prior to an upgrade, ran Disk Utility, ran a full backup, etc. The install itself was odd. It seemed to hang for long periods (15-20 minutes) several times and then appeared to procede normally. When it finally finished the machine was unable to get all the way to the Desktop. I get the grey Apple logo screen, then just a nice blue screen that never ever gets to the login window. Very odd indeed. I suspect something on the machine is somehow at odds with the startup process. I'll be doing a full erase and install now, but I'm pulling the logs off first so I can see if anything shows up. I'll post again once (if) I know so no one else runs into it. I have some suspicions, but I'll confirm before I jump to conclusions.

Having said all that, the last beta was amazing and I expect the retail release will be even better. And yes, the NDA was officially dropped Thursday.

Loaded Leopard on Imac G5 and applications would not quit. Spent all day saturday trying to get apple technical help to no avail. Just a huge phone cost!!!
Suddenly everything crashed saturday night and I am curently saving files to disc before I erase and try again. I put my Tiger discs in and chose Archive install to get computer to work again.
Not very impressed, will need to contact adobe concerning my activation of creative suite.

Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM. I'll post the results of my Leopard install - after my package gets here from Indiana, that is.

"FedEx. When it absolutely, positively MUST get there on time." Indeed.

As for my Powerbook Pismo, the senior citizen of my computers - no doubt it will continue to run just fine (if a bit slowly) on OS X 10.3.9, even if Leopard crashes my Powerbook G4. Or, I can use my work computer - a 2.0GHz Dell 600M with Windoughs blechXP. Naw. I'll have to switch my Linux hard drive into it. I HATE Windoughs.

All about my upgrade: Permission repair status bar keeps showing the candystripe. I discovered it is working, but is slow no status is indicated. Had to do an archive and install on my G4 Mirror as it said something was missing and I had to move some info from the library for my applications. Had to reinstall Paralells on my Intel IMac 24". Otherwise it was an easy upgrade.

G4 Mirror, MBP 15", Intel Imac 24", PBG4 17"

Fascinating !!
My wireless Airport Extreme signal is maximum strength! It has never been this strong!!
Mail is great, but creating a new mail is problematical. Most times, not all, I must quit mail, and reopen. Then it is fine.
My address book problem required me to import from a back up. Why it did not come along with the upgrade??
I find the MAC G3 but not my PC's on my lan??
Later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promacmor1
The problem that happens sometimes when I am in a internet site for awhile and then I try to open another application and I get the spinning wheel for that application but when I try to force quit the computer will not do so. I tried to wait awhile but the wheel kept spinning. So I have to press the power button to reset the computer. One time when I was in the internet and tried to switch to an open application I got a scrolling gray screen telling me to press the power switch to reset the computer.

My experience.....

Same thing happened after I loaded Leopard on my MacPro Quad Xeon. It happened four times over a 5 hour period--a couple times when using Spaces, and then without spaces when I had multiple programs opened. I have done the same exact multi-tasking in Tiger and never had a problem.

I have never had the MacPro do that before Leopard--the spinning wheel and Force Quit wouldn't work and I had to use the power button to shut down.

I also had some programs refuse to accept my user password to make changes, then an update came through early this morning to fix something in the password chain and it worked fine after that.

Tony

Thought I might point this out (from a few posts on this forum and quite a few elsewhere on the net):

It seems as if the vast majority of those who are having major issues with Leopard installs also have 3rd party applications/hacks that "mess with" or "modify" the OS, the finder, the theme, the way applications launch, etc.

BTW, if you have any specific questions, post them here and I'll answer them if I can.
All the Leopard hype about new features and no details of the downsides, like:

Q1: How many (or what estimated percentage) of the 300 hyped new Leopard features won’t work on a G-3 thru G-5 PowerMac (non-Intel) machine?

Q2: Is Classic still supported, or will I have to cast out all my Classic apps and files? They represent a substantial amount of irreplaceable data base and self-generated graphics files on my two G-4 PowerMac machines.

Q2: Classic is dead and unsupported. Even if you strip the files from a 10.4 install it won't work anymore.

Back