2006 MacWorld Expo BOLD Prediction

The only way I see the laptop names changing is if they start doing like Intel with "Centrino", which is really a collection of technologies.

PowerBook and iBook as names are great for distinguishing the Pro end from the Consumer end, but one could make the argument that a "Centrino" approach might provide a new interest as wel as clarification to a set of technologies (airport + bluetooth + dual core Intel = "Pacific" or something).

Personally, I find the "Centrino" approach confusing. I recently had to buy a PC laptop to run some PC-specific apps (and yes, I have VPC. Tried it on my dual 2.7. Doesn't cut it.) Anyhoo, since I haven't really been paying attention to the PC world, I was pretty confused about what "Centrino" meant. I thought it was the name of a chip. Oops. Best Buy wasn't particularly helpful in clarifying what "Centrino" really meant.

I love the iBook/iMac thing, but the problem is soooooooo many other companies - small and large - are jumping on the iBandWagon. People are forgetting Apple started it.

@ Shookster

Yea I know, iPod doesn't follow the (iMac = Internet Mac) logic. It's been discussed a few times in this forum. the "i" originally stood for internet, but over time it has come to mean nothing specific.

It's used to make the product more personal, as in ("i" = me, my own, belonging to me).

RGrphc2 said:
They might name it simple as well remember then original Powerbooks the Duos? That name might come back. Powerbook Duo or iBook Solo (which sounds something out of a Star Wars Movie)

i've already said this somewhere :D

ichat with VOIP and more tv shows .mac integration with itunes (movie store) airport express 2 and new cinema displays. I have a feeling that every mac and mac display will have isights built in... we already know that the new powerbooks and ibooks will have them as well. Bluetooth with Stereo capabilities(old but hopefully, firmware upgrade) wireless mighty mouse

Lt Major Burns said:
i've already said this somewhere :D

yea, just stating that this is probably the best route for apple to name their machines, either that or just make it simple and drop the chip name from the title not Powerbook Duo, just Powerbook

Knowing Apple, I'd say they'll go with something simplistic. "PowerBook" really is enough. "G4" also didn't state whether it was a PPC 7410 (Titanium PowerBook G4 400 and 500 in 2001) or an MPC 7447 (the latest AluBooks).

And: Motorola didn't refer to the 74xx processor as the G4 much, and IBM didn't refer to the 970 processor as the G5 much. Basically, Apple could call the Yonah processor line "NG" or "T1" or "MX" or "PC", doesn't really matter. (I know the G4 stands for "4th generation PowerPC", but still...) There also never was a PowerBook II, and the Roman two in this name could stand for dual-core. I'd actually like that. However, if the iBook would take the single-core Yonah, then iBook I would look a bit off. Hm... PowerBook and iBook. That's enough. Really. Gosh, I've spent way too much time writing and reading this past weekend...

mi5moav said:
I have a feeling that every mac and mac display will have isights built in... we already know that the new powerbooks and ibooks will have them as well.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with these predictions.

seems a bit sony vaio to me. no-one needs an isight. it's a gimmick to get people to buy into imac. for consumers etc.

Actually, integrated cameras are a PROBLEM for many professionals, since you can't have them if you're working in a company that forbids them. (Fear of espionage.) It's a problem known from mobile phones with cameras.

I _personally_ wouldn't mind having an iSight built-in. If it's small enough. Because I don't actually need one.

It only really makes sense to have the cameras built into laptops, as it can be difficult to mount cameras onto them.

Shookster said:
It only really makes sense to have the cameras built into laptops, as it can be difficult to mount cameras onto them.

it can be, but what about people who actually have the iSight? :D

If they have a PowerBook and an iSight and buy a PowerBook with an iSight they might sell one PowerBook and one iSight.

I also would like to add that depending on the Apple releases this year that I expect this year to be the best stellar year Apple as ever had. I am personally waiting (like Microsoft) for WWDC and the showing of 10.5.

• ITMS serves up first-run movies in 480p, 720p, and 1080i. You can purchase/rent and download them in HD-DVD or Blu-ray format (or just DVD format) to play on your DVD player if you don't like playing them on your computer.
  • Intel-based systems will be delayed to Q2'06 and powerbooks with PCI Express and the PPC 7448 and even higher resolution will be announced for Q1. Dual PPC core IMACS, and minis will debut.
  • Dual core IMAC's, powermacs, and mac minis will become media centers with airport and airport express having digital media adapter capability so that you can send your media throughout the house to any TV you want. You'll be able to DVR OTA digital and analog signals with support from 1 or more cable/sattelite providers promised in the future.
  • They give a target date for the release of leopard of Q2, 2007. It will have a x86 emulation layer built in with 10-20% slowdown versus native applications.

That's bold, but... I really think Leopard is gonna come out at the end of 2006 – as previously said by Steve Jobs, and I think we _won't_ see an x86 emulation layer for PPC Macs, since the problem is having enough X86 apps on intel Macs –*not the other way 'round...

fryke said:
Actually, integrated cameras are a PROBLEM for many professionals, since you can't have them if you're working in a company that forbids them. (Fear of espionage.) It's a problem known from mobile phones with cameras.

I _personally_ wouldn't mind having an iSight built-in. If it's small enough. Because I don't actually need one.

It's easier to block a camera than a microphone. Indeed if you visit high tech centers in Asia or old industrial companies in Europe, you will go through severe controls, and they will stick an aluminium paper on the camera of you cell phone for the duration of your visit.

fryke said:
That's bold, but... I really think Leopard is gonna come out at the end of 2006 – as previously said by Steve Jobs, and I think we _won't_ see an x86 emulation layer for PPC Macs, since the problem is having enough X86 apps on intel Macs –*not the other way 'round...

My reasoning for the emulation layer is that my guess is that they will delay Intel-based Macs to late Q2, 2006. And will push it back to Q3 when Q2 comes to an end.

What's the point in an x86 emulation layer? Surely that will reduce the number of people who (eventually) upgrade to Intel-based Macs?

OK, now, this is what "bold" is all about:

It will be revealed that the new Intel logo is part of a joint Apple / Intel agreement to replace D-dropped-e-ll with Apple as the premier consumer of Intel processors!

Back