$499 Mac on MWSF'05?

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Think Secret rumors that there will be a bare bones, G4-based iMac without a display announced at the MWSF on January 11. This mac will retail for $499!!
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0412expo2.html said:
The new Mac, code-named Q88, will be part of the iMac family and is expected to sport a PowerPC G4 processor at a speed around 1.25GHz. The new Mac is said to be incredibly small and will be housed in a flat enclosure with a height similar to the 1.73 inches of Apple's Xserve. Its size benefits will include the ability to stand the Mac on its side or put it below a display or monitor.
Sounds very interesting to me.

I think this would be great to entice "switchers" that complain about pricing. Heck, I might even get one as an internet machine at home, if this turns out to be true.
I think apple finally realized that they can't turn their heads to the growing requests of having a cheap, headless Mac.

I would buy it at once, if it's really in the size of a bare bones pc and silent enough. A G4 1.25ghz is still a very fast processor and would deal with many many standard tasks. And now imagine it to be small enough to not be found under your tv.. Ahhhhh, this would be really nice.

hmm does anyone smell Mac OS Media edition (but obviously not called that)
Think about it a powerful (fairly) silent, stylish, computer with 802.11n next-gen wireless that would sync with the next version of airport express that can stream video as well as audio (lets call AEV) so that you could just plug your tv and your stereo into it, and then have this media box anywhere in the house and as long as you have a AEV plugged into a tele and a stereo in wireless range of the media box or one of the routing wireless stations you could stream your videos anywhere in the house.
mmmmmmmm ibox...but I'm just dreaming;-)

It would be a great central machine, mixing juke-box and DVD player features. Just misses the TV-Radio tuner to be perfect.

Internet radio is still in its infancy !

And any info about the graphic card ? Think secret says this machine is a mix of simple hardware and good software (iLife), but will it be "game compatible" (read Doom3) ?

Internet radio is still in its infancy !
What do you mean by that? I've found most internet radio to be great, all they need is a way to bring it all together under one common interface (shoutcast/icecast style) and make it more accessible like, dare I say it, windows media player did for internet radio, then FUN TIME!

Let's hope Apple will at least set it up where you can change out the graphics card.

I think Apple could make more revenue and money if they also sold upgrades on their site (e.g. video cards, etc) and at least let you upgrade these. I think for a headless mac this could be a good step.

Yeah, Internet radio is fun... but how many of these are making money ? How many provide local news ? How many provide real journalism (you know, investigation) ? As far as I know most Internet radio are just streaming music 24/7. That's fun.

ok point taken, maybe the local governments need to do more in that respect, all I know is the BBC streams all it's radio so there's no prob there

chevy said:
Yeah, Internet radio is fun... but how many of these are making money ? How many provide local news ? How many provide real journalism (you know, investigation) ? As far as I know most Internet radio are just streaming music 24/7. That's fun.

All i want is streaming music. if they bring in the other stuff that will invite ads to come in too.

Zammy-Sam said:
Think Secret rumors that there will be a bare bones, G4-based iMac without a display announced at the MWSF on January 11. This mac will retail for $499!!

Sounds very interesting to me.

if this is the case i would get one definately.

Engadget reported this sub-$500 mac too. I'd buy it quicker than you will blink in an eye sir! heh. Seriously though, do not expect gaming on this thing. Thats what the G5 is for.

Back