$499 Mac on MWSF'05?

I normally don't bite when rumors like this come around -- I find I'm more surprised and satisfied with the keynotes when I don't know or expect anything.

With that said, this is one rumor I'm falling for. The fact that Apple has specifically sued people over leaking information regarding "Q88" (apparently, codename for the headless, sub-$500 machine) leads me to believe there may be some truth in this one.

I agree with serpico -- I don't think this computer will be marketed as a multimedia device meant to integrate with your stereo or TV; rather, just a low-cost, entry-level Macintosh. It's cheap enough and simple enough to mass produce immediately, and won't cost Apple an arm and a leg if it fails. If it fails, hey, Steve was right -- there's not much demand or need for a super low-cost Macintosh, but if it succeeds, then it's priced low enough to possible entice a few more "switchers."

I'm limping along with a 500MHz G4 machine that lacks even an AGP port. I'd definitely spring for a $500 1.25GHz G4 machine that I can slap a big hard drive in -- I'm a patient guy and don't need a dual 2GHz G5 machine to do my heavy PhotoShop work in, and going from 500MHz to 1.25GHz would be a great leap.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
The fact that Apple has specifically sued people over leaking information regarding "Q88" (apparently, codename for the headless, sub-$500 machine)

Just curious - where did this info come from? I'm guessing not from Thinksecret, as they're just reporting the $500 machine a few days ago, and the lawsuit occurred several weeks ago... And besides CNN I believe they're the only ones to report on this?

http://news.com.com/A+new+iMac+for+under+500/2100-1042_3-5508745.html?tag=nefd.lede

You know I sure hope this rumor is true. You don't know how many times I've heard people say, "I would like to have a Mac, but I just can't afford it" OR "I would like to have a Mac, but I just can't justify spending the money because I don't know what I'm getting into." Too many to count! :mad:

Apple, I do believe you are on the right track. A system like this could very well bring many new customers to the Mac platform by allowing them to try out the Mac without having to spend "an arm and a leg" to do so; this would help justify if they want to spend the money to buy a more powerful Mac in the near future. I think it will also work well for those that just want to use it as a media center PC.

But Apple, you can do better. There is a problem with this system: It doesn't have a monitor and there are a lot of competing PCs out there that are sold at this price that come with a monitor. I do believe it would be wise of you to bring back the 15-inch and 17-inch Cinema Displays. Reason being, in the future you should be able to sell a system like this with a 15-inch Cinema Display for the same $499 price and allow customers to upgrade to a 17-inch Cinema Display for a little more money. This would make it so customers can get everything they need to get started with a Mac in a one-package deal; no need for a separate monitor.

Of course this also means that you should make it an option for customers to buy a system like this without a screen for even less than $499. Can you say "suuuuuuuuuuuuweeeeeeeeeeeeet?!"

Apple, if you want to capture some of the IBM PC market back, you've got to start thinking like a PC user. Keep up the good work. :)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I'm limping along with a 500MHz G4 machine that lacks even an AGP port. I'd definitely spring for a $500 1.25GHz G4 machine that I can slap a big hard drive in -- I'm a patient guy and don't need a dual 2GHz G5 machine to do my heavy PhotoShop work in, and going from 500MHz to 1.25GHz would be a great leap.

I hear that.. although since I upgraded to 1GB ram I enjoy my machine a good deal more. 1.25ghz would be great for 500 bucks.

I could probably buy one for my dad who is still using his Performa from 1994 that has a Cresendo 266MHz processor upgrade card in it.

Yeah right. Hello? Profits. Why doesn't Apple offer a 250GB HD G5 2.5Ghz with AirPort, bluetooth, 30" Cinema Display and 60GB iPod Photo bundled for US$99 (US$59 for edu discounts)?

See, you're missing the point altogether. Apple will not think like a PC user. Apple will do its best to change the mind of PC users.

Besides, Apple, I'm sure, has a decent idea of market realities. If you want a headless iMac mini, get en eMac.

If not, it sounds very John Dvorkish and that's never a good thing.

Ripcord said:
Just curious - where did this info come from? I'm guessing not from Thinksecret, as they're just reporting the $500 machine a few days ago, and the lawsuit occurred several weeks ago... And besides CNN I believe they're the only ones to report on this?

I don't know where it originated exactly, but a Google for "apple q88" shows that the rumor is [everywhere[/u] now:

http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+q88&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If Apple does release this, I think it would attract more buyers if it does not have a monitor included.

If this system is supposed to be attracting switchers, then the target audience most likely already have monitors. Those that are adding this system to their collection, would probably do better to just add a KVM than put another monitor (no matter how thin) on their desk.

However, I don't think it would hurt for Apple to bring back the 17" Cinema display (they are already purchasing the LCDs for the iMacs), especially if it looked like the current models, for people who don't have the $$ for the 20" or to use as a entry level monitor with this new system (if it becomes reality).

Gnomo said:
If Apple does release this, I think it would attract more buyers if it does not have a monitor included.

But what about buyers that don't already have a monitor, especially a Mac compatible monitor? Why leave them out?

King Shrek said:
a Mac compatible monitor?
Last time I checked Apple's direction was to use DVI (an industry standard). Apple already includes an adapter (with the PowerMacs) to connect VGA monitors to a DVI connection, I would expect apple to include this with the new barebones iMac.

I would expect Apple's direction for those in the market for a consumer grade computer to be:
"If you don't need a monitor buy the new barebones iMac. If you need a monitor, you can purchase the standard iMac, the eMac, the barebones iMac + a cinema display, or the barebones iMac and a monitor from a third party."

Gnomo said:
I would expect Apple's direction for those in the market for a consumer grade computer to be:
"If you don't need a monitor buy the new barebones iMac. If you need a monitor, you can purchase the standard iMac, the eMac, the barebones iMac + a cinema display, or the barebones iMac and a monitor from a third party."

The problem with this is that these days there are many dirt cheap sub-$500 PCs out there that come standard with displays. If Apple truly wants to sway PC users over to the Mac, they are going to have to somehow do the same thing so that potential switchers can justify the cost of switching.

Do you get my drift?

King Shrek said:
If this rumor holds true then they've already taken a very BIG first step. :p

On an additional note, I'm not saying that Apple should think 100% like a PC user. What I am saying is that Apple should walk a fine line, that is they still need to think like a Mac user in some ways to keep their current customers in their niche market happy; on the flip-side they also need to think like a PC user in some ways in order to sway millions of potential switchers to the Mac platform.

So in other words, Apple should think like a Mac user (think different ::love::) 50% of the time and think like a PC user 50% of the time. :)

King Shrek said:
. If Apple truly wants to sway PC users over to the Mac, they are going to have to somehow do the same thing so that potential switchers can justify the cost of switching.

1) OSX.

2) No spyware.

3) No viruses

4) iPod.

5) Peer pressure.

Do you get my drift? :rolleyes:

Randman said:

Most PC users know little if anything about OSX, so they haven't a clue what they'd be getting into by switching.

2) No spyware.

3) No viruses

Ask the average PC user about this and you will find that most are unware of it.

Duh! I could use that on a PC.

5) Peer pressure.

Hmmm. Let me see; less than 2% market share. What peer pressure?

Do you get my drift? :rolleyes:

No.

I doubt that most PC users are unaware of their PCs containing some sort of virus or spyware. They'll obviously notice that their computers have slowed down to almost a crawl. Case in point: I just got a call from my father-in-law about my sister's-in-law boyfriend. Apparently, he's having some issues with browsing on the internet that whenever he searches on google or what not, a page comes up saying that the search could not be found. However, once he hits the Back button he's able to view the results from google that he was searching for. I found out that he's not running any antivirus software. Now I have to spend my time over at my wife's uncle's house resolving this problem for my sister's-in-law boyfriend.

Another situation: I had a teacher in one of my elementary schools ask me to fix her computer. She's a novice when it comes to computers, but she sure noticed that her computer became almost impossible to use. I found out that it was because of spyware/adware that was installed unbeknownst to her thanks to all those crappy toolbars and such programs that Windows users are constantly bombarded with. I spent almost the entire afternoon fixing this issue and finally getting her Windows machine back up to speed. I could have been doing worthy with my time, like fixinf their wireless problems at the portables, but no. Score one more negative for Microsoft and cheap Windows PCs.

And as far as antivirus software being supplied by the PC manufacturer of these sub-500 dolar PCs, that's garbage. Usually, it's some online antivirus detector that really can't remove the virus, or it's an antivirus program evaluation copy. I'm sorry, but I would rather be using a computer that doesn't have these issues so I can be more productive. Heck, even Mac users have to suffer from Microsoft's lack of security thanks to Office.

I think this will be a great way to attract novice PC users to the Mac platform. I've spoken to many PC users and eventually it all boils down to price. As for everything else, once they get a taste of the Macintosh experience I believe they will start to see how unproductive they have been on their Windows PCs, and how equally or more productive they can be using OS X without the worry of spyware/adware or thousands of other malware.

And if they REALLY need Windows, there's always Virtual PC. Your average user isn't looking to play Medal of Honor. They want to surf the web, create documents, listen to music, edit pictures, and possibly make movies or music. What better machine to do it on than a Macintosh?

Well, I'm not saying that Windows users are unaware of the problem with spyware, adware and viruses that plague their operating system. As a matter of fact, many Windows users are very aware of these nasty little boogers.

I'm just saying that I don't think that many Windows users are aware that the Macintosh can save them from the hassle. I think that a lot of Windows users feel stuck and think there is no way out.

Take my own family for example; I have quite a big family. I know for a fact that 95% of my family knows zilch about Macintoshes and they all think that Macs are for weird people. They don't realize that Macs can save them from the many headaches that Winblows gives them. Sad, but true.

King Shrek said:
The problem with this is that these days there are many dirt cheap sub-$500 PCs out there that come standard with displays. If Apple truly wants to sway PC users over to the Mac, they are going to have to somehow do the same thing so that potential switchers can justify the cost of switching.

Do you get my drift?
Key word here is "cheap." Apple doesn't do cheap, period. It's like asking BMW to make a $15,000 car. Sure, you may be able to afford a BMW all of a sudden, but it will be a really shitty one. Same with Apple... Macs are priced the way they are because they are extremely high quality and lots of effort goes into them to making them as pristine as possible.

I still think it's amazing that they managed to squeeze a G5 processor (easily worth, oh, $600-1000) and a 17-20" LCD screen (what do they go for now, $400-1000?) into the space of a large laptop and price it at $1300-1800. Simply astounding. Which is why I want one. ;)

First the base Mini is $16,900
Second, the Mini is not a BMW. It just belongs to the same group.
Third, Apple has a sub $500 computer: it's named "iPod".

Back