$499 Mac on MWSF'05?

Arden said:
Key word here is "cheap." Apple doesn't do cheap, period.

Tell you what. . .

Put one foot in a Mac user's shoe and the other foot in a PC user's shoe, then try to argue your point.

FWIW, Apple doesn't have a choice, but to do cheap if they want to get millions upon millions of potential switchers to switch.

King Shrek said:
Tell you what. . .

Put one foot in a Mac user's shoe and the other foot in a PC user's shoe, then try to argue your point.

FWIW, Apple doesn't have a choice, but to do cheap if they want to get millions upon millions of potential switchers to switch.

Apple is probably not looking just for users.... it's much more looking for $$$$ ! And users are only of interest if they bring nice green $$$$ !

chevy said:
Apple is probably not looking just for users.... it's much more looking for $$$$ ! And users are only of interest if they bring nice green $$$$ !

Chevy, get out that machead of yours. Take one foot out of that Mac user's shoe and put it in a PC user's shoe; leave the other foot where it's at. Stop thinking 100% Mac; instead think 50% Mac, 50% PC.

Ok, now go ahead and argue a point. . .

Man, I use PC 90% of my time, I started using computers before the IBM PC was invented.

So, please define what is a computer for you.

Because if you use any reasonable definition of "computer", any current cell phone or PDA is a computer. And the iPod is a computer. Even if it does not run Windows or Word.

Code:
computer: 1. A device that accepts data, processes the data in accordance with a stored program, generates results, and usually consists of input, output, storage, arithmetic, logic, and control units. 2. A functional unit that can perform substantial computation, including numerous arithmetic operations or logic operations, without human intervention during a run. Note 1: This definition, approved by the Customs Council, distinguishes a computer from similar devices, such as hand-held calculators and certain types of control devices. Note 2: Computers have been loosely classified into microcomputers, minicomputers, and main-frame computers, based on their size. These distinctions are rapidly disappearing as the capabilities of even the smaller units have increased. Microcomputers now are usually more powerful and versatile than the minicomputers and the main-frame computers were a few years ago.
(source: http://www.atis.org/tg2k/_computer.html)

chevy said:
Man, I use PC 90% of my time, I started using computers before the IBM PC was invented.

So, please define what is a computer for you.

Because if you use any reasonable definition of "computer", any current cell phone or PDA is a computer. And the iPod is a computer. Even if it does not run Windows or Word.

~!@#$%^&*()_{}|:"<>?

I didn't argue that it wasn't a computer. I said that it is not a full-fledged PC (like a desktop or a notebook). DUH GEORGE!!!

Okay.

A full fledged computer is... what ? Is an Apple I a full fledged computer ? Or did it start with the Commodore PET ? What about the Altair 8800 ? The GENIAC ?

My low cost preference goes for the Atlon 64 Linux machine, that can provide me with a super power and perfectly stable PC for less than $1000. This is a full fledge computer, that does not run games, Windows or Word, but is perfectly suited for math, science and writing.

You know, I can see where this is going. It is going towards an endless loop that will keep going on and on until this thread is closed. Your posts have absolutely no value whatsoever. If you want to post, you should post something meaningful instead rabbling on and on with such stupidity and in the process going off-topic.

I really don't like it when other posters troll, especially moderators. Talk about being a bad influence on others. You are doing this just for your own entertainment and fortunately I'm not going to let you get any fun out of me.

This discussion is officially over.

Considering you can boot off your iPod, it does meet the generally accepted criteria for a monitor-less computer.

I don't see Chevy as trolling. Quite the opposite and the many one foot in Macs, one foot in PCs talk doesn't make much sense to me.

What's this about shoes now?

I'm quite familiar with Windows, if that's what you mean. Which it probably isn't.

Another thing that nobody seems to realize is that if Apple made a "headless iMac," it wouldn't be called an iMac. The iMac is an all-in-one computer and always has been, and I think that was part of the magic of the iMac G5, how they managed to fit a G5 and an LCD screen in such a small enclosure... yet it's still an all-in-one. A headless iMac would be called a G4 Cube Part 2, or perhaps a Cube Squared?...

Anyway, see the attachment for the current state of my shoery.

Attachments

• Slippers.jpg
    Slippers.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
iMac mini just sounds nice, doesn't it? And if it follows form and comes in a case as the minis do ...

Arden said:
What's this about shoes now?

It's a metaphor.

"One foot in a Mac user's shoe" gives you the ability to see things from a Mac user's point-of-view. The "other foot in a PC user's shoe" gives you the ability to see things from a PC user's point-of-view. ::love::

I like the miniMac idea... even if I don't think Apple would buy it.

Mac LC already existed (with good success for that time).

The Cube was a fantastic gadget, but wasn't reliable enough (even if that's probably one of the computers that keeped a maximum of its value over the year).

Headless Mac... for the one who thinks different ?

It could be the new eMac if Apple also proposes a low cost 17" LCD screen (not bundled, in the $250-$350 range).

I talked to Phil Schiller again today, here's what he had to say after I showed him this thread:
We design the Mac to be useful to the widest audience of customers possible, where we differ from most companies in this business (maybe all) is that we won't stoop to making crap. There are many corners a company can cut to make a cheap PC and we won't do that. We also try to make money selling computers (it's our business) others seem willing to lose a lot of money or get out of it (like IBM). We're not going anywhere.
You're not going to get a much better assessment on Apple's position than that.

Arden said:
I talked to Phil Schiller again today, here's what he had to say after I showed him this thread:
"We design the Mac to be useful to the widest audience of customers possible, where we differ from most companies in this business (maybe all) is that we won't stoop to making crap. There are many corners a company can cut to make a cheap PC and we won't do that. We also try to make money selling computers (it's our business) others seem willing to lose a lot of money or get out of it (like IBM). We're not going anywhere."
You're not going to get a much better assessment on Apple's position than that.

Thanks Mr VP reporting to CEO...
www.apple.com said:
Philip Schiller is Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing and reports to Apple’s CEO

Back