700MB CDR... but OSX says it's 666MB?!?!

C-Fu

Registered
Why????????
is OSX putting some extra stuff inside my CDRs? I just want to burn my files not any other invisible stuff...

and can I overburn using the burner that came with this lamp-shaped white iMac?

Mac OS puts files like DesktopDB in the root of all volumes so that you can see what files are where. Mac OS doesn't store the file system the same way FAT32 or NTFS does, it uses a catalogue, etc.etc. beyond the scope of this.

I'd suggest trying Roxio Toast, I love it (I hate burning CDs in the Finder).

ah icic thanks.
But Toast is not free right? any other alternatives? like burning using command line perhaps?

</macnewbie>

The main reason discs are lower in capacity: The labels capacity is worked out by using 1000KB make a meg instead of the real 1024KB to make a meg.

This can make a large difference between labeled capacity and actual capacity.

You also lose capacity when a diskis formatted as the index tables use some of the space.

This also happens on hard drives.
My 120GB HD has a capacity of 115GB or 95.8% of the stated capacity.
My 60GB hard drive has a capacity of 57.26GB or 95.4% of the stated capacity.
Your 700MB CD has a capacity of 666MB or 95.1% of stated capacity.

it all seems ot be in the right ballpark.

I'm not so sure ! I've already burnt a 698Mb file on a 700Mb CD, without overburning or summoning demons.

BTW, there's a Lite edition of Roxio Toast.

He's right. CD data space is correctly calculated, if I remember correctly. I believe you can fit 702 megabytes on a 700 MB disc. Sometimes a file that large will be displayed as 717 or so megabytes, depending on what math is used to calculate it. I, too, wonder why Apple puts so much extra data on the disc when burning from the Finder. Files that will burn on a PC (Nero) with room to spare refuse to be burned using the Finder. It's kind of frustrating for me when I'm using my iBook and I don't have access to my PC. We should find a free alternative to Toast for those of us who either a) don't want to buy it, or b) don't like ripping off software. Post here if anyone has any solutions to the Finder issue or alternative freeware programs.

wow.... got a reply after over a year :p

but wow that software is cool!!!! thanks man :D appreciate that very much

Does anybody know of the burning support that Panther has? Has this prob been fixed or not?

If your finder is only showing up the disc as 666 mb, its probably a support issue with discrecording.framework.
While this shouldnt happen with built-in drives, i had the same thing when i first bought my FW burner, Finder making discs only ~66mb (im having the same problem again since 10.2.8)
If it's the built-in drive from an imac, try searching the apple knowledge base, or contacting apple support.
i know the finder adds DesktopDB etc files to discs, but not 34 mb worth.

Back