7b53

Something I noticed in 7B53, which others may not be aware of are some cosmetic changes to Print Center.

When I selected my printer previously (a HP8000) the icon displayed when I was printing a job, was that of a deskjet style printer. Now it looks more like a laser printer.

hardly earth shattering, but a nice touch.

Well,

what is really bad about B53(compared to
WWDC),is,that You can´t start OEM scanner vendors software(in my case EPSON 3200),instead Apple somehow uses only the TWAIN and some own Epson lib,and starts up the IMAGE CAPTURE App.
That shows where Apple is heading,independence
since those companys cannot keep up with Apples speed.
The problem is there,that 7B53 DOES NOT provide the option of selecting a
negative,and that makes the software useless(since the bestseller EPSON 3200 is mostly used by all pros for its film scanning capabilities.

at WWDC Panther everything was okay,
I think I´ll go back.

Back to 7A179 from 7B59? I'd go back to JAGUAR if you need that feature. The early Panther betas, while nice, were not very complete and had a few other problems... Wait for a newer build instead...?

A couple more things about Panther build 7B53 that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. I noticed today that when I got a roll-down screen, for secure entry into a password-protected website, and I accidentally hit the caps lock key, a subtle little up arrow appeared in the field where I was entering my password. This is a nice little touch and will be very helpful with case-sensitive password entry. I haven't seen speed mentioned either but I've noticed that each build seems even faster than the one before. I'm sure that I've gotten used to this now and that if I were to go back to a Jaguar build I'd really see it. This is most dramatic in start-up time. The time from the "bong" until the log-in screen is as fast as I've ever seen it before on my 700MHz iBook!

I would expect as much in the speed department. It doesn't surprise me that Apple would find a way to tweak the speed of the system from one build to another.

That's cool about the caps lock thing. Before, it simply reverted your password to all lowercase, so "FuzzyBunny" and "fuzzybunny" would both produce the same result. Now you can have an even more secure password.

and I accidentally hit the caps lock key

I did the same today (before reading that you did to.. )
It was already implemented in the wwdc version (7B202) wich i'm running curently...

genehack:
at WWDC Panther everything was okay,
I think I´ll go back.

If you need stability go back to jag, without using wwdc (or other beta) on a seccond parition. (you might use a beta on a disconectable hd, e.g. firewire disk).
Dreamweaver, Flash and quark 6 are not working very well yet on panther, they crash every now and then (quite often)... (in the wwdc version)

Running panther on a seccond drive will cause jag to open the 'wrong' (newer) default apps when you open a document from within the finder. Wich will end up in jag not opening anything at all.. (you can use ctrl-mouse on the document to tell jag to open it in the older app)

Our dream to run panther fully stable will come through one day :)

Panther is fairly stable as of 7B53, although a couple things malfunction or KP on me... (turning FileVault off caused a KP, for example)

SNES9X is the only app I use that doesn't work on it so far.

Uh, arden... that 'problem' has existed since MacOS searched for apps to open documents with. It always searches for the newest application, as it is a pretty good assumption that the newest application is the best app to load it.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention yet about Panther is the return of Desktop Printing! I'm pretty sure I dragged a printer from the Print Center window to the desktop and it created an icon which could be added to the dock to get quick access to specific printers. You should also be able to drag a document to a printer icon to print it.

Andy

Back