A look inside Jaguar

I would fork over as much money as apple wants. this looks like a great update.

Just so you know. I like the brushed metal look. You fellas and MacAddict need to stop saying bad things about it.

We shouldn't be saying how much we would pay to get jaguar. If it gets back to Apple, they might jack up the price.:D

Ah, I hate it. Why are you people so angry? When you bought your Macs you weren't promised Quartz Extreme. The OS won't be out until September as it seems and it'll run very, very fine on your systems - only without this one feature. Apple *has* to make people buy new computers, right? They want money. And they *do* give you great new features and computers for it.

Don't think about Jaguar too much until it arrives, if you're already so eager to hate it on your machine. Start loving your machine and the Mac OS X of today.

I for one am looking forward to testing Jaguar builds. I might miss to see Quartz Extreme in action, but I might just buy a new PowerBook by January 2003, and *that* will be *the* great machine for Jaguar, not even the TiBook 800 will be *it*, as it has the lowest possible specs that Apple says are 'good enough' for the feature, right? I'll survive September to January.

i'm starting to regain my confidence in apple, they started letting me down, but mu machine is just on the border of being supported by the quartz extreme thing so i'm happy. i'm going to college so i don't know if i can afford a new computer but the dual gighz g4's sound so nide... i hope i win the lottery...

I am upset because I have a computer that is a current model (600mhz iBook) with a sluggish interface that is not going to get any better.

Sorry fryke. Don't get me wrong, I'm awaiting Jaguar as eagerly as anyone, and I'm really happy with OS X and the fact that it runs so sweet on my 2-year-old iMac!

So just back off, man. :D

Can't wait til I'm filthy rich so I can get a computer that runs OS X like it's supposed to! This little 400Mhz iMac is doing a damn good job so far, though.

-the valrus

For the last time try to understand this...just because Quartz Extreme will ONLY work with the proper video cards and above DOES NOT mean that older Macs won't get any new system performance enhancements, also.

Currently on my Graphite iMac 600MHz, 10.1 runs VERY fluidly and fast. Jaguar will only add to that performace. So my graphics card won't support Quartz Extreme? So what? I'll still see noticeable improvements in the UI and I'll still get the fancy animations and what-not.

I'm really looking forward to iChat and the new Mail / Address book.

Maybe I have just over taken this Quartz Extreme stuff. But you know... it is hard to hear that your machine will be dropped soon but you have owned it for an month only!

Hmm... Sometimes slashdot.org has real treasures among the comments... They're talking about the demise of OS 9 and the coming of Jaguar, and among the 500 or so posts there was the following anecdote I just *had* to post here for you. A slashdot user said: Now Apple rips off the name of an old Atari product, Jaguar.

Another slashdotter replied: First of all, this is just a code-name. But, on that subject, did you ever hear the story of Carl Sagan's lawsuit against Apple? The Power Mac 7100 was developed under the code name "Carl Sagan," and when that worthy found out, he sent his lawyers a-calling. The Apple engineering team obligingly changed the code-name... to "butt-head astronomer."

Well.. I am sad that my iBook will not run Quartz Extreme. But I'm very excited about all the new features. If I could, I'd get a TiBook, but I'm not Ross Perot, Bill Gates or Bruce Wayne. So I'm settling for the cheapest laptop with a CD-RW. Yeah, it only has 8MB VRAM, but at least I'll be at MWNY. Just hope there aren't any new iBooks before the Summer's over. That way maybe I can sell it for almost what I paid and get a PowerMac.

Whatever. I am really looking forward to the iChat and Mail with AddressBook. They're all mixed together! That's cool! As Varuca Salt once said many times, "But, Daddy. I want it NOW!" And if I had her Daddy, I'd prolly HAVE 10.2... ;)

I can't wait!

From what I understood - the Brushed Aluminum is a overall UI THEME, so I would think you can chose for EVERYTHING to have the Brushed Aluminum or the Aqua look...

That or I'm just praying for my dream of REAL themes for Mac! From Apple! ;)

I just hope Apple fixes the color of the scrollbars in iTunes!

I use the 'Graphite' theme and iTunes really looks ugly being the only app with 'blue' scrollbars :mad:

Originally posted by Tormente
the Brushed Aluminum is a overall UI THEME, so I would think you can chose for EVERYTHING to have the Brushed Aluminum or the Aqua look...

I'd very much doubt it. Have a look at the attached Jaguar screenshot, it shows iChat and Address Book windows with the Brushed Aluminum look and all the rest is Aqua.

Attachments

• jaguarscreen05062002.jpg
    jaguarscreen05062002.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 133
wow a lot of chatter about this ;)
I like the universal addressbook deal.
kinda reminds me of the newton :D

so does inkwell ;)

Was just going to say - Apple can't have spent time and money developing handwriting recognition software JUST for the few people with graphics tablets, can they?

is probably being implemented to counter Microsoft's upcoming "Mira" tablet PC technology. With the Handwriting recognition part of the equation, all Apple has to do is develop an wireless LCD Monitor/Pen Tablet, and they are ready to confront the Mira issue.

It'd be really cool to be sitting on the couch with a 15" LCD Pen Tablet screen, taking notes, writing out web addresses and surfing without a keyboard.

MS really wants "Mira" to be the center of the digital hub. I'm really excited to see Apple sees some benefit in the MS vision, and has upped their ante to compete with it. Now, let's just get some affordable pentablet/LCD hardware to go with it!

Originally posted by celeborn

I'd very much doubt it. Have a look at the attached Jaguar screenshot, it shows iChat and Address Book windows with the Brushed Aluminum look and all the rest is Aqua.

Oh... I missed that pic... damn - I hope they do make it a skinnable option (theme) for the entire UI.

Kinda weird having on a few things with brushed aluminum - but at the same time it's kinda cool it gives the iApps a custom feel to them...

Oh well - I don't really care! Just give me Jaguar NOW! :D

I have read the features on the Apple site and the new iapps and so forth and think it´s going to be really fun to have the new "Jaguar" in front of my screen and IT`S A LOT FASTER! . About the speed will it be faster than the previous version if i only have a Graphite iMac SE and it´s 400 mhz? will it support the new system or will i have to buy a new card to it? :confused:

Anyway i can´t wait for the realease!:)

Your system will be fine with Jaguar, and it *will* be faster than 10.1, which you are using now. However, your graphics card won't be able to use Quartz Extreme. And you won't be able to install a graphics card that would be able to do that in your iMac SE. So basically: Wait for it to be released, try it, then buy a new computer if it isn't enough for you.

Back