A Message To Developers.

nealt

Registered
I know it is a pain in the neck to keep up with Apple System updates. I have a MacPro 3,1 2008 running OS 11.6.
I cannot upgrade to 10.13. I noticed that many developers only upgrade to the latest Mac OS. This I feel is unfortunate. Many of the programs I like and use cannot be upgraded. So I request that developers , at least for me,. update their programs to at least El Captin. LibreOffice runs on 10.9.

Not sure what you are on about.
Yes, it's important for developers to continue to update code to support newer operating systems.
But, it's also some of your responsibility to check that apps that you use are still current, and that your information is still accurate, as much as you can discover - (an app is listed on their web site as actually dropping support for El Capitan, for example)
Many apps simply show the oldest operating system supported as a base level, but the app continues to work on newer operating systems.
That will vary, depending on the developer. You would need to check for specific apps to see if the developer provides specific notes about current level of support, and compatibility with other, newer operating systems.
Many developers will have that information available at their download/support pages --- or may be responsive to direct contact about upgrades.

You did mention LibreOffice, so note that LibreOffice is updated frequently, and the current version (5.4.1.2) still supports OS X 10.8 and UP.
Libre Office states in their release notes that the next version will drop support for OS X 10.8 --- so you will need OS X 10.9 or higher

I use LibreOffice daily on my High Sierra beta system, with no problems.

With that in mind, I expect that you will not have any problems with LibreOffice, until they drop support for El Capitan. At this rate, you may still use whatever is the current LibreOffice for at least another 3 years --- at which time, you could likely continue to use that LibreOffice version, if you wish to continue using your old MacPro.

Last edited:
Most of the problems seem to be with utilities and Apple apps. What their sites state Requirements: 10.1
3. So we lose new program features that may not depend on the OS version. If Apple ever came out to a tower like computer with the upgrade options on my 2008 tower I would buy it. I have 4 internal hd and one pcie besides the video card. I use the front mounted usb connections great. No fumbling around the back of the computer. Dream on.

I get the feeling that with the newer APFS format might have to do withe new software versions not compatible with older HFS+ format! Just a thought!

I know it is a pain in the neck to keep up with Apple System updates. I have a MacPro 3,1 2008 running OS 11.6.
I cannot upgrade to 10.13. I noticed that many developers only upgrade to the latest Mac OS. This I feel is unfortunate. Many of the programs I like and use cannot be upgraded. So I request that developers , at least for me,. update their programs to at least El Captin. LibreOffice runs on 10.9.
As shown in the photo my MacPro3,1 is running High Sierra and it runs very well I must say.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 3.39.17 PM.png

This is the Link I used to install High Sierra, installation was a piece-O-cake.
http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Edit: just did the latest update from the App Store. High Sierra 10.13.1

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 3.39.17 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 10.58.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 10.58.07 PM.png
    466.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
☝︎I will note that the linkypoo he gives is basically the one I put via osxdaily in my concise, brief, short instructions in the High Sierra thread. I was not sure about direct linking to a "Hackintosh" site.

Anyways, it works great for creating an Installation Disk which is the way to go.

--J.D.

Back