Adobe crack down

Someone tries to be nice and give out a little info and others get all pissy.

Thank you Winblows for the info. I'll keep this handy just in case ... ;)

Twister

I apologize for sounding pissy.

I don't agree with the information, however -- I believe the information Winblows gave to be false, and I've been trying to prove my point or to get information that would prove Winblow's point.

I think the information Winblows gave could lead users of PhotoShop to believe that Adobe is somehow "spying" on them, which is unfounded.

This topic is only new to this site -- the information contained in this discussion has been discussed in great length in a great many other places, and the same consensus has been reached -- there is no proof that Adobe is spying on us; however, there is proof that they're not spying on us... the fact that when you DO register PhotoShop, the information that is being sent is clearly outlined in plain English, and you must hit an "agree" button in order to send it.

There is also no proof that the Adobe Online functionality of PhotoShop is somehow sending serial number information back to Adobe for review. Adobe Online is advertised as doing a certain thing, and it does that and only that as far as anyone can prove.

I just don't want people to start thinking of Adobe as another Microsoft... for the most part, they make great products, conduct fair business, are good to their customers and tell the truth. I do not believe them to be spying on me or anyone else... I do not believe them to be collecting any information about me that I do not authorize... I do not believe them to mislead their customers... and until someone shows me that they ARE collecting my serial number information, I will not believe a word of it; I will only be wary of it in the future.

Also, the "expired serial number" warning that renders PhotoShop useless that was discussed early in this thread is completely unrelated to the Adobe Online fiasco. Getting an "expired serial number" warning relates to the fact that people were using beta-version serial numbers with their release of PhotoShop 7, and the serial numbers expired. You don't have to be using Adobe Online, nor do you have to be connected to the internet for this to happen. The serial numbers in question expired 6-1-02 and the warning message appeared if you tried to launch the program after that date, unless you had entered a valid, non-beta serial number when you installed PhotoShop.

First of all both of you morons should do research and stop guessing.

FACT:

Adobe New Installers contact adobes servers via UDP port, which can clearly be seen with any packetsniffer.

brainchild - there is no reason to resort to name calling. it is not tolerated on this site. consider yourself warned. next time i catch you, i WILL report you and then you won't be here to abuse others anymore. :(

Well, as for my case - I installed the beta version of Adobe Photoshop 7 on my iBook. I tried using it and it had a warning box that says that the serial I used is expired or some sh.t.

Are you saying I can install PS 7 and ***** and make it work? :D

Just to stop all this non-sense...

First of all - I do have a legit purchased copy of Photoshop 7 that I use on my Mac, and it's completely pointless for me to use on the PC...

On the PC, I have a program called Zone Alarm Pro, that is not only a software firewall but also stops any programs that try to "phone home".

I then downloaded a "warez" version of Photoshop 7 for the PC... and you know what happened - what Zone Alarm Did? NOTHING!
Photoshop did _NOT_ try to phone home at any time, and has not... of course I don't do a thing with it - all my serious work gets done on my Legit version of Photoshop on the Mac, but just for "science", I left the PC version of Photoshop open, looked at a few files with it, save files just to make sure there isn't something specific that triggers this rumored action...

A tad over 24 hours later... nothing! I've closed and started Photoshop a few times, even rebooted the machine and NOTHING!
Zone Alarm has _NEVER_ reported Photoshop trying to phone home in that period. And NOTHING gets access to the internet without my approval on the PC! Then again I have _NOT_ tried registering it or using Adobe Online (as unofficial versions of the software users should _NOT_ have access to in the first place!)

Now with all that said... for those of you who use Warez... You got a "free" copy of the software which - if not only illegal, you are to use AT YOUR OWN RISK, AS IS, NO WARANTEE, NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER, You should not even be allowed to come to this or _ANY_ respectable forum to cry and wine about your warez being broken!!!

(Actually I wish the moderators would delete or freeze Warez discussions on the board period! But that's just my oppinion)

Oh and that Serial Number expiring - for those clueless Warez people, that's the BETA Serial Numbers expiring this month! DUH! Even I knew that! :p :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

Now stop crying and go take your warez elsewhere!

I actually don't know why this thread hasn't at least been closed yet.

Warez is bad ... most of *us* have used software illegally at one time or another, but I would hope that to the best of our abilities we try to pay for what we use.

As for the whole 'Adobe-Internet' discussion, I have always had the belief that they do indeed send information such as your IP address back to Adobe. But, I really don't know much about warez.

Anyways, congrats to those of you who are 'clean' and to those who continue to use warez, I don't have anything against ya, just don't try to get it fixed here.

Now with all that said... for those of you who use Warez... You got a "free" copy of the software which - if not only illegal, you are to use AT YOUR OWN RISK, AS IS, NO WARANTEE, NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER, You should not even be allowed to come to this or _ANY_ respectable forum to cry and wine about your warez being broken!!!

(Actually I wish the moderators would delete or freeze Warez discussions on the board period! But that's just my oppinion)

well said. i couldn't agree with you much more. i would rather be associated with the foulest mouthed individuals than with thieves. If we are concerned about our professional images here, inquiries of any kind about warez are a poor reflection on us all. and in case nobody reads or watches the news, warez distributors and users, mostly teens, are being cracked down on by law enforcement regularly now. publicly admitting that you have never purchased the software is about as smart as sticking your tongue in an electric outlet. it scares me to think that law enforcement could include me in an investigation just because i associate with a site where warez users are known to be found. At least i don't have to worry they would find anything illegal on my HD.:(

I'm not claiming to be a white dove...

But just about everything I've used, either Trial or Warez version that I felt I could not live without or would like to support the developer (mostly shareware developers) I make every attempt to either purchase the legit version or find an alternative I _CAN_ use and live with...

Photoshop and Illustrator where two of them before I bought my Mac... But like I said while I was ordering my Mac - I bundled the Adobe Design Collection that included both of them into my order.

From all my software on three machines and OSs (MacOSX, Win2K Pro, RedHat Linux 7.1) I don't think I have any such version of any software - except one that I am despreatly trying to find a usable alternative for on OSX - I already have an alternative for both Windows and Linux - but haven't found an alternative version that I can live with for OSX yet.

I may not be a white dove - but I am constantly making a strong effort to correct the situation with no excuses and no wining!

Even tho I don't want to directly support M$, I NEED WinXP Pro - and I know I can get it "for free" but I refuse to unless M$ themselves give it to me (it's been known to happen), or I purchase it myself - and since I'm currently unemployed I only have Win2K instead. :p

Originally posted by themacko

As for the whole 'Adobe-Internet' discussion, I have always had the belief that they do indeed send information such as your IP address back to Adobe. But, I really don't know much about warez.

I can't guarantee my findings as I'm only testing this on a Windows PC, but so far Photoshop 7 has not, on it's own tried to "Phone Home" or else I would have been notified of it, and I seriously doubt Adobe would make the software that much different on different platforms.

Why am I even bothering - I haven't a clue, it's just making people think I'm contradicting myself! shesh! heh :p

Nah, I'm just trying to stop the warez discussion on this board! :p

Originally posted by Tormente
Just to stop all this non-sense...

First of all - I do have a legit purchased copy of Photoshop 7 that I use on my Mac, and it's completely pointless for me to use on the PC...

On the PC, I have a program called Zone Alarm Pro, that is not only a software firewall but also stops any programs that try to "phone home".

I then downloaded a "warez" version of Photoshop 7 for the PC... and you know what happened - what Zone Alarm Did? NOTHING!
Photoshop did _NOT_ try to phone home at any time, and has not... of course I don't do a thing with it - all my serious work gets done on my Legit version of Photoshop on the Mac, but just for "science", I left the PC version of Photoshop open, looked at a few files with it, save files just to make sure there isn't something specific that triggers this rumored action...

A tad over 24 hours later... nothing! I've closed and started Photoshop a few times, even rebooted the machine and NOTHING!
Zone Alarm has _NEVER_ reported Photoshop trying to phone home in that period. And NOTHING gets access to the internet without my approval on the PC! Then again I have _NOT_ tried registering it or using Adobe Online (as unofficial versions of the software users should _NOT_ have access to in the first place!)

Oh and that Serial Number expiring - for those clueless Warez people, that's the BETA Serial Numbers expiring this month! DUH! Even I knew that! :p :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

Now stop crying and go take your warez elsewhere!

I just wanted to add to this tread that yes, you are right about that (I do plan on getting the software sometime this month). Although you have to consider that Photoshop is such a great resourceful tool for everyone BUT not everyone has access to it. LEGAL ACCESS to it. Why? It's because of students. The majority of them are broke. :) Others might say that it's not an excuse. That's all the point I wanted to make.

OK - Suppose Adobe does IN FACT obtain an IP address of an individual that has pirated software. What would they do with it?? I think that there would be way to many addresses to take action on. Try doing a search for "Photoshop" on LimeWire to see what i'm talking about.
-Doofy

There are other tools that are useful in graphics manipulation. Gimp, for example, is very powerful and FREE.

It might not be as good as PhotoShop, but at least you can use it legally.

Originally posted by drustar

I just wanted to add to this tread that yes, you are right about that (I do plan on getting the software sometime this month). Although you have to consider that Photoshop is such a great resourceful tool for everyone BUT not everyone has access to it. LEGAL ACCESS to it. Why? It's because of students. The majority of them are broke. :) Others might say that it's not an excuse. That's all the point I wanted to make.

http://www.campustech.com/cgi-local...pagegen/ADOBE?L+scstore+gtxt4767Adobeff0fa50f

Adobe Photoshop 7 - $266.00
Adobe Web Collection - $327.00
Adobe Design Collection - $377.00

Of course you have to be a student... but it's pretty cheap to go to a community college and take a couple of units and you'll qualify to save hundreds (thousands?)! :)

i would just like to let everyone know that i became a moderator of this forum shortly after my last post. My first official duty was to remove the directions for maintaining illegal software. I also deleted a reference to how it is done in another post.

Feel free to carry on discussing the pros and cons of warez. but do not repost directions on how to obtain the illegal use of software. anyone doing so will be referred to the Forum Co-ordinator for appropriate action. and feel free to stop talking about your 'friends' and go ahead and incriminate yourselves. that is allowed.;)

:D

Congrats and Thank god! (no, I'm not refering to you as god either! lol) ;)

*Note to self* watch your talk about Mozilla around Ed for now on... gulp... Just Kidding! :)

I'd prefer to stop all warez related stuff, but this is good enough for me. At least it's now under control. Whew! :D

I think a conspiracy theory about how Adobe might be looking for warez-users by using the warezed software is something that should be allowed on this board.

Of course direct directions on how to get/use warez shouldn't be on the list. But hints to Limewire/Hotline/Carracho should be allowed, as it's very much like saying 'you can get drugs on the black market', meaning: It doesn't yet mean anything.

I strongly believe in free will. Everyone is - in my opinion, not by law - allowed to do what they want, if they can take the consequences.

Fryke - i think that is pretty much the policy. I considered instructions for enabling illegal software to be the same as giving a serial number which is not tolerated. whether those instructions worked or not is immaterial here. the activity of attempting to aid others in illegal activities is not going to be acceptable here.

discussions of technical aspects of apps like limewire et al are ok. Not all use of them is for illegal activity. Just use your heads people. This site is not a carracho server, it's a tech help site with a human side:)

Back