After upgrading to Leopard, Internet slo

MylesDanielBake

Registered
Basically I upgraded to Leopard, and right afterward my computer's default Safari browser and Firefox were running slow. I have FasterFox installed to Firefox as well, so I was loading pages in the blink of an eye. Now, it takes 20seconds plus to load pages that would normally load in 2. I re-installed Firefox, but haven't tried anything with Safari yet. Help is appreciated!

You don't give details of your Mac or how you upgraded and whether you also upgraded your non-Apple applications or how you establish your Internet connection. I don't use Firefox but I understand that some plug-ins are "broken" in Leopard.

Well Safari hacks and extenders are messing with Leopard because those developers have NOT updated those Safari plugins. So make sure you delete Safari plugins in Leopard and try again.

It may be my entire computer running slower than it used to.

I have a 2.0Ghz Macbook running on 2 X 1.0 GB ram with an 80 GB HD. I have the hard-drive partitioned to 47GB on the Mac and 27 assigned to Windows. I connect with WEP wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54G router running DSL. After upgrading to leopard my entire computer seems to be running slower. I noticed it most on my internet applications, but since I am not at school I haven't been using my computer for much else. I have checked for updates, and have uninstalled all Firefox and Safari plug-ins. I called an Appletech and he didn't seem to be able to do anything. i looked at some forums online and tried some of the suggestions they made there. I didn't want to do anything until I received word from here.

I have iStat Pro in my widgets, and my CPU is often mostly idle, and my Memory shows a lot free. I do only have ~8GB of memory free on my Mac. I have tried re-installing Firefox and all the plug-ins. Safari just doesn't work, and it seems that my entire computer is sluggish. Applications taking longer to load and quit, etc. I am taking my computer to the Mac Store sometime in the near future, but if I can get anything out of the way here that would be great.

Thanks for all the help, I am looking for suggestions to get this problem resolved.

I also upgraded my firmware on my router, tried to run iFreeMem, and nothing has worked yet. I fixed permissions, but nothing really has made any significant progress.

It may be my entire computer running slower than it used to.

I have a 2.0Ghz Macbook running on 2 X 1.0 GB ram with an 80 GB HD. I have the hard-drive partitioned to 47GB on the Mac and 27 assigned to Windows. I connect with WEP wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54G router running DSL. After upgrading to leopard my entire computer seems to be running slower. I noticed it most on my internet applications, but since I am not at school I haven't been using my computer for much else. I have checked for updates, and have uninstalled all Firefox and Safari plug-ins. I called an Appletech and he didn't seem to be able to do anything. i looked at some forums online and tried some of the suggestions they made there. I didn't want to do anything until I received word from here.

I have iStat Pro in my widgets, and my CPU is often mostly idle, and my Memory shows a lot free. I do only have ~8GB of memory free on my Mac. I have tried re-installing Firefox and all the plug-ins. Safari just doesn't work, and it seems that my entire computer is sluggish. Applications taking longer to load and quit, etc. I am taking my computer to the Mac Store sometime in the near future, but if I can get anything out of the way here that would be great.

Thanks for all the help, I am looking for suggestions to get this problem resolved.
If you meant to say "8GB of disk space free", then that could definitely be a reason for a slow system.
OS X needs a lot of free disk space to run well.
On the other hand, if you really only have 8GB of memory free, do tell us how much you have installed.:eek:
jb.

Yes; 8GB of disk space free. I will try moving my iTunes files onto my external hard-drive. I will follow up with an update once I have done that.

I freed up the memory, at 16GB free disk space. Still running slow. I really don't know what is wrong. The problem is strange because it started IMMEDIATELY after installing Leopard.

As far as my internet connection is concerned, I DL @ 167 KB per second. I really think installing Leopard screwed something up. Is there any way to go back to Tiger and keep Spaces ? =/

I freed up the memory, at 16GB free disk space.

You still don't seem to understand the distinction between "2GB memory" and "disk space". You should have at least 20% of your disc space free (and preferably contiguous free space because if it's too fragmented that could still cause significant delays).

You haven't mentioned repairing permissions so I assume you haven't. This should be done immediately after installing any Apple software.

Are you doing something really stupid such as running "Messenger" (or anything else) from its own installer "disc image"? I've seen that done many times and it really slows things down.

Have you left a CD/DVD in the drive? That can also cause sluggish operation.

I DO understand the difference between the two, and just because I don't articulate that well in text doesn't mean I get them confused. By the way, I have repaired the permissions, and that did nothing. A suggestion like repairing the permissions, however, are the kinds of tips I am looking for. What other tasks should I perform like repairing permissions? I took out the battery, unplugged the power cord, and held power to reset those settings. Is there anything else? Nothing is being run off of the image file, no CD/DVD in drive. It really isn't the entire computer, but the internet really is showing the biggest lag. I have plenty of available disk space now.

The only Non-Apple programs I have installed on my computer is Firefox w/ plugins, Corel Painter X, Skype, Microsoft Office for Mac, and VLC. This problem started after I installed Leopard.

I now have 16 GB of free disk space. That is 20% of my system hard drive. I restarted the computer, no change.

Your perceived internet speed might be related to your wireless connection. Have you tried connecting directly to your router with an ethernet patch cable? Do you get more normal download speeds when you try that?

20% is still absolutely borderline in my opinion - and it should be contiguous as I already mentioned.

So you repaired permissions. Have you done anything else that might help or might make matters worse? It's best to give full information from the start, otherwise people lose patience trying to drag out the information. I regret that I lack patience but, if you want my help, be nice.

What sort of Leopard installation did you perform (e.g. erase and install)?

You seem uncertain about what is running slowly. If it's *really* only your internet access then you should be looking at how you connect to the internet (modem, router?) and what might have changed during the Leopard installation.

I probably can't solve this for you so I'm simply trying to make you think about the various possibilities.

EXACTLY the same problem! Tearing my hair out! Linksys + 10.5.1 on iMac = slow.

10.4 iBook = fast!

Do you have solution? Firmware or new modem?

So glad to have seen this!!

Kind Regards

Hugh Milsom

There is a solution, but it is not a pleasant one.

Erase and Install.

Make sure you backup your system first, especially your documents and library.

BTW, I went to the Apple Store to have them do it because I didn't want to mess anything up, and they said not to backup library. Library keeps your settings, and I wish I would have backed it up.

Also deleted my windows partition. =[

My GF's machine has a 55 GB hard drive with 19% free. She also experiences the issue.

I keep seeing the disk space issue as being a fraction of total capacity rather than as a fixed free space matter. Is this bacause fragmentation is more closely correlated with relative free space?

In any case, it seems a solution is to defragment the disk. Apple has comments on the subject. It suggests back-up + fresh install may be better. But then it doesn't itself have a defrag utility, so likely can't guarantee the results.

Back